Lockerz

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Kathy Savitt

Good idea but never got traction in the marketplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsAbility to make an impact and work with some really talented people. High traffic website that looked pretty cool and had some good products.

ConsInability to change course or direction when users were leaving service. Too much bureaucracy for a small startup. Negative energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange to fit the markets needs needs to be faster. The vision was not working. Needed to change direction sooner.

A sinking ship....

(Former Employee)

Pros--Free lunches
    --Casual environment
    --Great office space
    --A paycheck

Cons--After four years of existence, the product is still broken and undefined.
    --Leadership continues to turn a blind eye towards metrics.
    --A "groupthink" mentality exists among the company, where they convince themselves that what they're doing is good without listening to any kind of third-party or user feedback.
    --A culture of fear is set in place due to A) the fact that funding is running out and B) the history of massive turnover.
    --Stop focusing on the perks, the shiny benefits package and the extra fancy stuff, and go back to the drawing board on your product. It's never worked, and never will unless you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. It's 2013, you're almost out of money.

Hello... do you guys know what you are doing?

Seattle, WA

Proswe have moved into new offices that are in a good location and clean
    you can play ping pong at work
    there is free food

Consno direction, strategy or business model
    we are at the verge of running out of funding
    management team is a clique

Advice to Senior Managementwe need new management. management is the problem. there is a ton of talent in the organization but not for what we are trying to build. no one knows what we are building or who we are building it for. isnt that a problem?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ignore the fake reviews on this site. Please do not work for this company.

(Current Employee)

Pros-Free food.
    -Ping pong table.
    -Listening to annoying rap music blasted by the creative director's speakers so the entire -office could hear (this is a joke, people).

Cons-Staff was turned over three times during my tenure. I even saw one guy get fired before he even started.
    -The company has gone through four HR staff during my tenure.
    -The product metamorphosis went something like this: try to be everything to everything --> try to be Pinterest (and take credit for coming up with the idea first) --> rebrand into a completely different site
    - Speculation around inflated metrics/traffic numbers completely speak for themselves. You can read between the lines and see through the smokescreen on them so easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice can save this company. Sorry. Even their so-called "re-branding" to Ador.

Getting Acquired

Director, Lockerz Photos (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsLockerz acquired the company I built and was the CTO of, Plixi. Being an integral part of a KPCB backed company is a great learning experience for anyone that works for Lockerz. You'll hopefully grow lifelong relationships with the leaders, mentors, and investors of Lockerz.

If you work hard, you get to work on things that interest you and have a big impact to a wide audience. Also, the pay was good for senior people.

ConsThere was always a Seattle vs. San Diego attitude once the Plixi team was acquired and there were two offices. Even two years after the acquisition when most of the people in Seattle were new, there was still this animosity between the two offices. Everything is 100% in Seattle now, which is a good thing for the company. Working remotely was never set up in the companies culture, thus the company never strongly benefited on the strengths of remote workers.

For a small company, there were a lot of politics involved. People were more worried about he-said-she-said stuff rather than just working on the product and making it better for the users.

For a startup-type company that doesn't have its product quite figured out yet, and doesn't have crazy growth traffic, there's no need to have a huge enterprise software/hardware stack. It was the opposite of the Lean Startup.

Advice to Senior Management1. Don't assume you know what the users want. Use the data you gather to make product decisions. Though at the same time don't be afraid to put something out there. If you just keep building and rehashing the same idea, no one will get to see the awesome things the team built.
    2. Try to find partners that have no contracts or 30-day out contracts.

Continuous Abysmal Experience

Development (Current Employee)

Pros* Food
    * Pay

Some co-workers provide a good support structure to get through another day at Lockerz.

Cons* Getting ahead is all about politics
    * Innovation is stifled
    * Still don't know what Lockerz actually does
    * Employees are treated like assets to be used, then tossed
    * Management lacks fundamental leadership skills
    * Company lacks direction
    * No focus on data to support decision-making

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more lies, no more politics, and figure out what Lockerz' actual product is.

Most of all, please stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor.

Not a good place to work.

Merchandising (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFree lunch at Seattle headquarters.

ConsA Frankenstein product that's losing users and money everyday.

Employees below average, only want a paycheck or can't get another job. Problem employees are not dealt with and instead given fake leadership positions.

There are good reasons the former CEO isn't there any more, ask around.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe writings on the wall, why drag it out?

Great talented team and on the right path

ProsVery talented team
    Much improved DNA in areas of need
    Fun working environment
    Some great initiatives underway
    Leadership is great and committed to make this a great place to work

ConsUnfortunately there are still some misconceptions about working at Lockerz. Team is working on it, but you might hear out of date information.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on making company more open and transparent. Take proactive steps in the community to show that things have changed. There are some great opportunities ahead.

Great place to work, will miss it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros- CTO & CPO are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable, great people to work for
    - Marketing team is fun, smart, amazing
    - Entire team in general is talented, culture has 180'd to awesome, they've done a lot in the last year and am so excited to see what they pump out in 2013
    - Catered lunch 3x per week

Cons- Stop printing, it's 2013! ;)

Abysmal Leadership, Confused Product and Continued High Turnover = Avoid This Place

(Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThree free lunches a week and a snack bar. The company seems to spend money liberally, and this perk is a byproduct of that.

ConsFirst, the leadership doesn't have a clue as to how to run a business. The well-publicized acquisitions are a great example. How did any of the acquires (AddToAny, Plixi, VodPod) help this company? That's a great question to ask leadership, and one they wouldn't be able to answer without sounding like a sugar-coated PR machine. The company shut the San Diego office down (where the former Plixi team resided) two years after they acquired them.

Second, the company still hasn't managed to accomplish anything. Who talks about and uses Lockerz? More importantly, who can answer what Lockerz is? The product has gone through such a radical metamorphosis yet they still can't figure who or what they are. First they were like Facebook, then they became like Pinterest and now they're an affiliate network?

Lastly, the fact that the former CEO, Kathy Savitt, left the company three years after she founded it speaks volumes. Don't get fooled into the fact that she's the company's "Chairman" (just a friendly way of saying she'll fly up to Seattle once every three months for a two hour board meeting). She ran this company into the ground. Just ask the hundreds of former employees (yes, hundreds as this company has laid off a record amount of staff over its tenure) what they think of her. My prediction is that the overwhelming majority would have a negative perception of her. Out of touch with reality and too impulsive, these are qualities that make a bad CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down and rebrand yourself. You're still perceived as a free prize site (and quite frankly, when you were, you had a better tangible idea).

Worked for Lockerz? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockerz reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockerz CEO Kathy Savitt. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Lockerz employees.