Locket

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Yunha Kim

Fun startup, exciting products, cool people!

San Francisco, CA

ProsLocket is a place filled with bright, talented people who are really excited about being part of a bootstrapped startup. Management does a great job instilling a strong work ethic, and lead by example. Great place to learn about product development, entrepreneurship and startups.

ConsLocket is a bootstrapped startup, so if you're hoping for crazy perks (eg, free shuttles to work or gourmet chefs), this is not the right place for you.

Worst Management Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-$10 dinner... I guess? Most other companies have more.

-There use to be a lot of press.

Cons-Management is young and don't know what they're talking about. Trying everything hoping it sticks. Micromanaging everything.

-They're manipulative and they lie. Not only to employees but press, investors, guys who want something more, everyone. Do you own press research and cross reference what they say.

-They expect us to work 90 hour weeks. If you don't, you're labeled as a slacker, don't care, and will be fired. 9:00-12am at least every weekday. And weekends? You'll have to work.

-You can't push back at all. Oh you don't think you can develop this is 2 days? It takes at least a week? Do it with no sleep or you will be fired.

-They string people along in hopes they will be hired. 1 month of a test period with no pay or back pay. Interns who work as hard as employees with no pay. And for what? The very little equity you won't ever get because you'll be fired beforehand?

-Incredible amount of turn over. Wayback machine their about page.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. This is not my first startup. You could expect all this from your first few employees but not everyone else.

Flag Review
    Locket Co-founder responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    Deepest apologies and regrets to those that were affected by our tough transition between business models. We aim to do a better job at recruiting and managing through the ups and downs.

Super smart and driven team, rewarding to those with initiative

San Francisco, CA

ProsOne of the best places for engineers to learn and grow. We are all about innovating what is NOT out there, so we are always the first ones to come up with cool solutions to a new problem and we get that recognition from the industry, which is pretty exciting and rewarding.

People are super smart and driven. We work hard and we all have a lot of fun doing it. We consider our projects as scientific experiments and we are all intellectually motivated to test out a hypothesis asap. If a hypothesis turns out to be false, we don't consider it as a failure, we happily move on to tackle the next hypothesis. And it's fun to quickly digest results and iterate.

The founders are super smart, crazy driven and yet laid back. They come up with the most innovative and clever product ideas all the time. They are not afraid to take risks and excel at executing things fast and efficiently. They are all about "ok great idea, lets ship it asap and figure out from there." It's cool to see my own idea become an actual product overnight and get written on TechCrunch the day after.

ConsNot a lot of startup-y perks. We don't have a ridiculously designed office or our own chefs or massages or "it's ok to not show up to work, chill" policy. Those who come to work here must really be excited about the actual work, the product, and their team members, because there's not much else! (The positive to that is that it's a good filter for those types of people who we actually want to work with, who only care about the work, the product, and their team members).

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we expand and hire more people, let's keep the culture of fast and furious experimenting and iterating, and continue to keep the company be a group of really smart, driven and friendly entrepreneurs!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run, Don't Walk Away...

Pros- $10 for dinner each day

Cons- Founders are constantly changing direction and micromanaging.
    - Crazy long hours (even for a startup)
    - WAY below market pay
    - Founders are... not inspiring people to work with.
    - ~50% of FT employees left within the past 3 months for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing positive reviews of your own company on Glassdoor. If your interviewing with Locket, reach out to a former employee through LinkedIn to get the real story

Flag Review
    Locket Co-founder responded to this review Mar 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Deepest apologies and regrets to those that were affected by our tough transition between business models. Startups are not for everyone, and we aim to do a better job at recruiting and managing ... More

Worked for Locket? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Locket reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Locket CEO Yunha Kim. All reviews posted anonymously by Locket employees.