Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,529 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Current Employee - Configuration Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Configuration Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lockheed has great people, the environment is good for professional growth, and i love the city. Albuquerque and Kirtland AFB are great. The defense industry has been good to me and the people who work here are dedicated. I enjoy the company and the Air Force. Intelligence and engineering come together here and we work hard to deliver value to the war fighter. Together we can make dreams come true, so I enjoy coming to work every day. And the food is great also.

Cons

The cons of working for Lockheed Martin are that the company provides many people many things, and this leads to demand going up with too few people.

pay more

Call center

Current Employee - General Clerk I in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - General Clerk I in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much to say about pros.

Cons

Very stressful, hard to move up,and too many rules and your constantly being watched.

Lighten up

Maintaining a positive outlook, regardless of the situation

Current Employee - General Clerk III in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - General Clerk III in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Internal advancement is present and the benefits are great, unless you're retired military! This is a competitive company to work for!

Cons

Management's vision on capitalizing employee talent is weak in the IS&GS department. I get the feeling I'm in a gender/bias preference environment when it comes to promotion! That saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know."

Take time to analyze training for your employees continued success in their duty roles. Initial orientation training will not make the cut for employee morale to build and become loyal to Lockheed Martin, amongst other issues!

Organized caos

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting variety of work, sometimes feast sometimes famine

Cons

No sense of teamwork. Everyone is worried that someone else will try to steal their job.

Stop worrying so much about the bottom line and pay attention to personnel and quality of the work.

Tricky uness you know the contract system

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, management, work load, scheduling, work-life balance.

Cons

Contract work. On you own to find another job.

Better communication from day one.

sys admin

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and the size of the company

Cons

THe turnover in the company is high

Cutting edge of technology.

Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Information Assurance Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good benefits package and vacation time. Unlimited sick leave. Geographically diverse, transferring is easy assuming you are a performer.

Cons

Big company and individual performance can easily go unrecognized.

Revamp the performance assessment system. Forcing corporate goals down into personal goals do not always make sense.

Lockheed Martin, TSI - old style, heavy handed, uncaring, demoralizing management

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The coworkers with whom you must suffer through become your comrades in the struggle to get through the next day.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with their staff and they refuse to hire people with the skills to actually manage people correctly. It's an "old boy network" and if you don't fit, don't expect to get anywhere. And if you make any sort of wave, get ready to be punished until you are so demoralized and crushed you leave.

Gut the old, dug-in ticks out there and replace them with new managers with new, more enlightened and advanced training in how to manage people in the 21st century. Managers should help their subordinates reach their career and life goals by structuring tasks to assist them. You should get rid of the managers who never take responsibility for the problems they cause and who know all about finding the next scapegoat to cover their mistakes.

Big and procedure-heavy

Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Some of the work will be interesting. Being a defense contractor, Lockheed Martin is involved in the high tech industry, including the development of hardware and software, that is in constant daily use by many of the largest government agencies sporting three letter acronyms. Contractor work on this level doesn't have quite the safety and job stability as outright government work, but it has more than you would find at a traditional civilian company. If you are technically inclined, and very detail oriented with a preference for hierarchical structures, defense contractors can be a good place to work, and many employees work for ten or more years before retiring or moving on.

Cons

The politics and the paperwork grind down many people. Most of the people have a military background, and so accept the environment to some extent, but there is also a wide recognition that the procedure oriented nature of the company and the back room politics compromise the central mission.

Open up the system to allow for innovation.