Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,529 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great organization with good processes and excellent work culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good leadership, great benefits, exposure to best workers. Emphasis on ethical workplace, diversity, and harassment-free office environment.

Cons

Annual review based on a curve, which hurts hardworking exployees. Yearly raises are not competitive. Working from home is really not an option for most employees. There are instances where leadership keep other managers in place even though they are not successful or competent.

Help your employees get new jobs if contracts are ending.

If you're not working for the headquaters directly you won't have UNDERSTOOD/APPRECIATED creative control.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT INSURANCE. They hire really great people, for social and professional benefits/agendas, that are passionate about their craft.

Cons

Not having CERTIFIED CREATIVES in UPPER MANAGEMENT that understand/respect the creative process, production time-frame, and profession.

In addition, its difficult to climb the career mountain; not impossible but hard, because of the company's desire for you to have a secret security clearance to go pass GO and collect $200 even though you dont need that level of clearance to begin the game of Monopoly. A Graphic Artist can literally start at level 1 and has the hope of reaching Level 5 (when Hercules becomes a God); however after level 2 you need the secret clearance to advance.... Oops even though there is NO WAY for you to acquire this in level 1 & 2 we don't want to give it to you to advance. I literally had a level 3 position desiring to hire me but they wanted me to have the GOLDEN TICKET (clearance) that they weren't willing to pay for in order for me to start working. The intellegent resolution, for this issue, would be that if someone has had amazing managerial evaluations and has advanced from level 1 to 2 with awesome attendance, evaluations, and a FREAKING treasure chest of recognition awards from the local branch and HEADQUARTERS on their achievements and success WITH THE LM CUSTOMER.... they might be worthy of that clearance... They MIGHT be a good investment. But I'm just the guy that designs, develops, and makes the customer want to work with you.... What do I know?

This is an analogy... Warning some creative thought will be used within this message.

If you're a scientist and you develop a cure (HEADQUATERS) with a SPECIFIC formula. Wouldn't it be amazing, if you wrote down that cure so you could remember how you made it, to have the ability to teach others how to make the cure?

I had a upper-management person tell me that basically headquarters had "the cure" because they have to be "strong, healthy, and look amazing" for all to see. And we had an off brand version of "the cure" because its not essential to have the same ingredients because we dont need to be as healthy as headquarters.

To conclude and summarize, if you are a creative and you don't work for headquarters (PARENT) and you work for a branch (CHILD of BLOOD RELATION). You aren't seen to be working for an important enough establishment to have CREATIVES as part of the LEADERSHIP TEAM even though creatives are needed, desired, and had applied to a job post that requires a DEGREE from an accredited UNIVERSITY and must have YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE.

Upper-Management told me Lockheed Martin is an engineering/information technology company... Which is why anyone that has certification in those fields and human resources/accounting has a "congressional delegate" in upper-management where as creativity is subjective. If this is true... Take away the CREATIVE CERTIFIED PROFESSIONS from the formula of "THE CURE" and let's see if the company goes to HOSPICE.

Creatives aren't children that are trying to act like mommy and daddy (headquarters) for fun and practice. WE ARE THE HEARTBEAT that lets everyone know you exisit and are doing well.

Not bad. They slashed benefits to remain competitive.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Entry level. Opens many opportunities.

Cons

They cut the max vacation by a week. If I switch to a competing company I will get one more week of vacation per year.

A learning experience

Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Pay is very decent

Cons

Getting paid weekly has its perks and its draw backs

Solid company lots of room to shine

Current Employee - Financial Analyst Staff in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst Staff in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

LM is a Large company with many locations. This allows to move around and work in many areas. LM is often rated as a great place to start your career. I agree this is a good company for junior employees who want to get experience. Benefits vary between the business units. I would say the range is from decent to bad. Since the company is so large there is a lot of investments made in tools to help employees manage their careers. There is also a decent number of conferences to attend and network and learn. Unfortunately you must pay/attend these conference on your on dime. Great leadership Principles

Cons

Pay is below market average.
    Mediocre employees create a demotivating work environment
    Not a team atmosphere, people trying to throw one another under the bus to keep their job
    lots of downsizing
    Time off varies by contract/business unit. vacation varies between 2-3 weeks, depending on the benefits package. Sick time is basically non-existent. Employees are expected to flex time to make up any time off.

Opportunity here for those who comply.

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at LM as a sub for almost a year, and things were quite organized. The history of the company gives employees a tried-and-true system. People don't have to reinvent the wheel to find solutions.

One of my managers was EXCELLENT and I admired his work ethic and that he cared so much about the projects, doing the right thing for the customer, and keeping things in line for project delivery. One of my teams was a lot of fun and creative--we produced learning solutions that were seen as unprecedented by the customer.

I made a lot of great friends and we had a lot of fun team-building experiences that we organized without leadership (baseball games, lunches, and happy hours, among other social events).

Cons

Some managers at my office made life miserable for some employees. One of my managers communicated everything solely by IM, even though she was a 10-second walk from my desk. Many managers were great employees who were appointed mgmt positions...and should not be in leadership roles.

In my office I regularly saw favoritism and nepotism, experienced/was aware of backbiting, and knew about inappropriate (sexual) relationships between employees and /or admin. Many were paranoid about getting thrown under the bus.

Some contractors were "let go" due to "personality conflicts." That meant that the rest of us were pulled into a conference room while a supervisor explained that "It just didn't work out with Contractor Joe. But don't worry! You're all doing a great job!" That was the only time one of my managers gave us positive feedback... when someone got fired. Due to this, office morale became quite low.

For employees, burnout rate was high. If you did a good job, they piled on the work. It is until 10 years with this company that you get two weeks of paid vacation per year. At 10 years, you get three weeks per year. IMHO, this is no way to live. When another company came along with a great offer, I jumped.

Listen to your workers. Just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean that they are being done the right way today. "Think outside the box" means applying unorthodox ideas. Allow employees the freedom to do that. Give structured feedback and encouragement--it was lacking in my office. Consider the turnover rate at your office and, if it's high (my office was 25-30%), put out a survey about what can be done to improve conditions. Take some management and leadership classes if you are aware that you're not a natural leader. Don't let the customer walk all over the team...go to bat for them.

Good job if you are okay with corporate

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good job security and fair compensation compared to competition.

Cons

Very corporate. I did not feel important to the company at large, and never came in contact with top execs. There is ~8 levels of separation from the lowest employee to the top.

OK, if you want a long an uneventful career with work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lockheed is overall a good company. Since it is a huge organization, the good benefits (work from home, growth opportunities, etc.) really depend on your department and your supervisor. This could really be luck of the draw. Overall, this organization is not high stress all the time, only during deadlines. The organization does a good job collecting to employee feedback as a whole.

Cons

- Benefits Package are average for the industry. For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits.
    - Limited Growth opportunities. It's really a matter of luck.
    - Valid individual greivances are sometimes ignored.

Leadeship is shortsighted. Just because I am an Asian does not mean I need an Asian mentor who has nothing to do with my area of interest! With so many international growth opportunities a person with significant international experiences were not even considered, while Americans who have barely set foot overseas are made leaders in the international divisions.

Brand company, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand company
    Good work / life balance

Cons

Managers are cycled in and out leaving few promotion opportunities
    Poor management
    Nepotism

No loyality from the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Starting pay was great thought is was a good company but after 13years it turned bad. Worse management

Cons

Then after 13years working for the company they wanted to lower salaries lower than started 13 years ago. No Loyality. Managment only looks out for managers....Poor management that get rewarded for doing a bad job.

A Company is only as good as its employees and when you screw your employees there goes the company.