Lockheed Martin Reviews in Arlington, VA

3.4
2,339 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great organization with good processes and excellent work culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good leadership, great benefits, exposure to best workers. Emphasis on ethical workplace, diversity, and harassment-free office environment.

Cons

Annual review based on a curve, which hurts hardworking exployees. Yearly raises are not competitive. Working from home is really not an option for most employees. There are instances where leadership keep other managers in place even though they are not successful or competent.

Help your employees get new jobs if contracts are ending.

Opportunity here for those who comply.

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked at LM as a sub for almost a year, and things were quite organized. The history of the company gives employees a tried-and-true system. People don't have to reinvent the wheel to find solutions.

One of my managers was EXCELLENT and I admired his work ethic and that he cared so much about the projects, doing the right thing for the customer, and keeping things in line for project delivery. One of my teams was a lot of fun and creative--we produced learning solutions that were seen as unprecedented by the customer.

I made a lot of great friends and we had a lot of fun team-building experiences that we organized without leadership (baseball games, lunches, and happy hours, among other social events).

Cons

Some managers at my office made life miserable for some employees. One of my managers communicated everything solely by IM, even though she was a 10-second walk from my desk. Many managers were great employees who were appointed mgmt positions...and should not be in leadership roles.

In my office I regularly saw favoritism and nepotism, experienced/was aware of backbiting, and knew about inappropriate (sexual) relationships between employees and /or admin. Many were paranoid about getting thrown under the bus.

Some contractors were "let go" due to "personality conflicts." That meant that the rest of us were pulled into a conference room while a supervisor explained that "It just didn't work out with Contractor Joe. But don't worry! You're all doing a great job!" That was the only time one of my managers gave us positive feedback... when someone got fired. Due to this, office morale became quite low.

For employees, burnout rate was high. If you did a good job, they piled on the work. It is until 10 years with this company that you get two weeks of paid vacation per year. At 10 years, you get three weeks per year. IMHO, this is no way to live. When another company came along with a great offer, I jumped.

Listen to your workers. Just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean that they are being done the right way today. "Think outside the box" means applying unorthodox ideas. Allow employees the freedom to do that. Give structured feedback and encouragement--it was lacking in my office. Consider the turnover rate at your office and, if it's high (my office was 25-30%), put out a survey about what can be done to improve conditions. Take some management and leadership classes if you are aware that you're not a natural leader. Don't let the customer walk all over the team...go to bat for them.

Good job if you are okay with corporate

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good job security and fair compensation compared to competition.

Cons

Very corporate. I did not feel important to the company at large, and never came in contact with top execs. There is ~8 levels of separation from the lowest employee to the top.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK, if you want a long an uneventful career with work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lockheed is overall a good company. Since it is a huge organization, the good benefits (work from home, growth opportunities, etc.) really depend on your department and your supervisor. This could really be luck of the draw. Overall, this organization is not high stress all the time, only during deadlines. The organization does a good job collecting to employee feedback as a whole.

Cons

- Benefits Package are average for the industry. For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits.
    - Limited Growth opportunities. It's really a matter of luck.
    - Valid individual greivances are sometimes ignored.

Leadeship is shortsighted. Just because I am an Asian does not mean I need an Asian mentor who has nothing to do with my area of interest! With so many international growth opportunities a person with significant international experiences were not even considered, while Americans who have barely set foot overseas are made leaders in the international divisions.

Brand company, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brand company
    Good work / life balance

Cons

Managers are cycled in and out leaving few promotion opportunities
    Poor management
    Nepotism

No loyality from the company

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Starting pay was great thought is was a good company but after 13years it turned bad. Worse management

Cons

Then after 13years working for the company they wanted to lower salaries lower than started 13 years ago. No Loyality. Managment only looks out for managers....Poor management that get rewarded for doing a bad job.

A Company is only as good as its employees and when you screw your employees there goes the company.

Great people serving mostly federal clients

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Commute is easy, and they have a flexible work from home policy.

Cons

No growth for new hires, poor management, most of the projects are on client locations where work culture may be different and you have to adjust accordingly.

Listen to your senior level employees who really want to contribute.

Great company

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, cutting edge work, benefits, diversity, college hiring.

Cons

Salary-not competitive enough for a company of its stature.
    Career Progression-Tough to get promoted and to move to other business units to pursue interesting work or other options.
    Work/Life balance is no longer emphasized. With the absence of backfilling positions, employees are doing more work and advised to "make time".

Management are doing a good job.

ATL:Interesting work, tough place to advance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work is as cutting edge as it gets. As a software engineer, I was exposed to a multitude of technologies that were just taking off. The environment is relatively informal. The hours are extremely flexible. I could just not go to work on a random day of the week and that was ok as long as I sent an email.

Cons

It is nearly impossible to be promoted above a level 3 engineer in the Advanced Technology Lab. The level 4 and 5 employees aren't going anywhere, and there's not enough lower level employees to justify promoting any more 3's. It's purely a function of the lack of breadth in the 230 person organization. Also, unless you are coming in with a PhD from another high paying job, expect to get less than industry standard. People are leaving the company now and getting at least 20-25% pay increases.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Working for LM is beneficial because they carry such gravitas in Defense and Government IT. They have set up excellent processes for sharing information between members of your unit and area of expertise. They have good online training courses available for employees and their family members, and the tuition reimbursement is reasonable. The benefits are good, and the 401k matching was good when I worked there.

I took advantage of telecommuting possibilities and the opportunity to participate in Kaizen, Lean Sigma and other process improvement methods.

Cons

The pay is substandard and everyone is well aware that, on some IT contracts, you are nothing more than a warm body filling a space on a contract that was awarded to the low bidder. Nothing was done to retain talented employees in our unit. Little appeared to be done to place people whose contracts were lost or modified in such a way as to eliminate their positions.

There was little opportunity to move into a new position or get promoted. The promised option to move into management was actually replaced with fake titles that involved no additional money and no additional real responsibility.

There is a culture of deceit and lying pervasive in LM, at least in some units. Stop lying! Don't just say your people are your greatest asset, mean it!

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!