Lockheed Martin Reviews

1. About Average

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Decent starting salary for an engineer
    Casual Environment

Cons

Promotion based more on time than achievement
    Conservative Culture
    Generally old-fashioned operations

Advice to Management

Make promotions based more on achievement than experience

2. Prepare to be challenged to perform.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Located in nice rural area. Great place to raise kids, no traffic. Affordable real estate. The work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

No one is required to work over time, but if you don't put in at least 44 hours on a regular basis, then you aren't challenging yourself. You'll be challenged to complete your task with less schedule and budget then you started out with. Management is risk averse, so a lot of opportunities are wasted.

Expect to pay high real estate taxes.

Advice to Management

Don't wait so long to make a decision, that the opportunity is lost. Not all business areas can afford to use DoD processes.

Owego Business Model

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Bob Stevens and team are a great set of company leaders with a clear vision of the direction of the overall company. Management in Orlando appears to be "killing it and bringing it home". Everytime I see LM news they are in it for bringing in another contract worth a couple of million of dollars. They must have over 30-40 contracts in the millions of dollars range if not more. So, if they happen to lose one or two due to government cuts they don't lose a large percentage of business. Smart business model from an ousider looking in.

Cons

System Integration Owego goes for all home runs. We had 4 contracts totaling over 10 billion dollars. Now we have 3 and 25% less employees. Thank you management

Advice to Management

Owego, stop going for the "Home Run" contracts and start going for base hits. Please use Lockheed Martin Orlando as an example.

5. Managemnet By Charts

Current Employee - Maintainability Engineer Senior in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Maintainability Engineer Senior in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

They pay really well and you can advance quickly.

Cons

Lots of overtime, management is hands off.

Advice to Management

Sometimes managemnet by PowerPoint isn't always the best way...

6. Take it with a Grain of Redwood Tree

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin has a few compelling reasons to work for it. First and foremost, it's very flexible on time. When I was first there, I worked a 5a to 1p shift, because I found that I liked being out in the Sun and that worked for me. Later on, I switched to a 9/80 plan (4/40 even for a while). The benefits themselves are quite reasonable. As for location, you have plenty of chance to move around--either up the chain of command, or across the country, to different style places. Locations in Owego, DC Metropolitan Area, Colorado Springs -- Plenty of places to configure your lifestyle to your needs

Cons

I'm sure it has been said plenty of times, however red tape is probably the single largest downside to the corporation. It is extraordinarily infuriating when the process of doing something takes more than twice the amount of time to do the thing itself.

Lockheed's current internal motto is: "One company, One team". This would be wonderful if it were in the least bit true. It's not. The attempts are being made to do this through reorgs and purchasing rearrangements (ie dropping all DB2 licenses and Lenovo purchasing to remove the association of the Owego site with the days of old with IBM).

Advice to Management

Consider your inefficiencies with a redwood tree, not a grain of salt. Separate code from markup, reconsider maintenance window time-frames. For physical products, leverage an interaction with people, rather than blindly sticking to six-sigma reports.

7. A Good Career in Engineering

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockeed Martin is a highly ethical company. Not only that, they are concerned with their impact on the community and the environment. They are great in terms of work-life balance, with flex time, telecommuting and work at home options.

Cons

As with most large companies, raises and promotions aren't entirely merit-based. The system is designed to meet market-averages for salary and position over time (performance based), which doesn't translate into rapid results.

Advice to Management

Remember Lockheed Martin is not just an air-frame company. Much of our business in the future will be in Information Technology. Focus training and development on preparing for these opportunities.

8. Great place to start

Current Employee - Software Engineer Asc in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Asc in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The pay here is very competitive, the prestige of working for a major contractor in addition to job security. Opportunities for advancement and relocation, and generally good, friendly people both as co-workers and as managers. Lots of opportunities to meet up

Cons

Lots of red tape, some typical antisocial engineers that can be hard to work with, some politics.

Advice to Management

Keep looking into other business opportunities other than military.

Lockheed Martin, Boring but stable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

- Stable Job
    - Technical work experience

Cons

- Boring Job
    - Your peers do not aspire to be much

Advice to Management

Open Source Software is not your enemy. It is often better than the software provided by the incompetent vendors we often hire.

10. A great place to start a career

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Great for starting a career and short term advancement. Peopl are more than willing to share there knowledge and inprove your growth as an engineer. With the high number of senior engineers there is a wealth of knowledge to be given and since they are so close to retirment there is plenty of room for advancement as well.

Cons

The size and that fact that upper management don't really know who are working for them. The political stucture is very complex and hard to comprehend when first starting out. The big picture is also hard to grasp at first but becomes more clear over time.

Advice to Management

Understand your employees better and go less by the numbers

Start out ambitious and they will wear you down

Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

On paper it is a great place to work. They pitch ideas about work life balance, career advancement, leadership development, flex time, benefits that fit todays changing workplace and oppertunities for growth and inward mobility. Who you work for and with is how you survive. If you are on a good project with good people you will probably love your job there.

Cons

Usually, these benefits mentioned above are applicable when it helps the company, not so much when you need to use them. Often flex time is used so you can attend meetings at 4pm on Fridays or work Saturday nights without compensation, but if you utilize flextime to come in an hour late or leave an hour early, you usually will be questioned about where you are. Additionally, no matter how much they talk about work/life balance it doesnt apply unless you are inbetween projects. If you are working on something "high impact" which is more and more these days, you will be working substantial overtime w/ or w/o compensation and have no vacation rules implemented by management. There is at least one project a year that prevents people fromtaking holidays off. One of the other things that really irks me is that there is no sick time. Technically you can use any unpaid overtime as sick time, however you will probably be looked at negatively for doing so. Even individuals with a couple hundred hours of unpaid overtime will be told to limit their use of the time for sickness. Lastly the Performance Management system is terrible. Lower level employees get rated very mediocre on average because there is a bell curve for the whole department that needs to be met. As someone who is currently striving to improve my profession, skills and projects, I often mind myself discouraged and stunted.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp the performance management process. Listen to younger employees, dont always believe what the more "experienced" have to say. Do not pigeon hole people into one project. Allow people to move internally if they want to, if not they will just go external.

Showing 51 of 2,999 reviews