Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,435 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 221 reviews)

• Flex-time - especially the 9/80 work schedule (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Often times work-life balance is work focused, unless you are in leadership positions (in 48 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Good Career in Engineering

Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineering Manager in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockeed Martin is a highly ethical company. Not only that, they are concerned with their impact on the community and the environment. They are great in terms of work-life balance, with flex time, telecommuting and work at home options.

Cons

As with most large companies, raises and promotions aren't entirely merit-based. The system is designed to meet market-averages for salary and position over time (performance based), which doesn't translate into rapid results.

Remember Lockheed Martin is not just an air-frame company. Much of our business in the future will be in Information Technology. Focus training and development on preparing for these opportunities.

Take it with a Grain of Redwood Tree

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin has a few compelling reasons to work for it. First and foremost, it's very flexible on time. When I was first there, I worked a 5a to 1p shift, because I found that I liked being out in the Sun and that worked for me. Later on, I switched to a 9/80 plan (4/40 even for a while). The benefits themselves are quite reasonable. As for location, you have plenty of chance to move around--either up the chain of command, or across the country, to different style places. Locations in Owego, DC Metropolitan Area, Colorado Springs -- Plenty of places to configure your lifestyle to your needs

Cons

I'm sure it has been said plenty of times, however red tape is probably the single largest downside to the corporation. It is extraordinarily infuriating when the process of doing something takes more than twice the amount of time to do the thing itself.

Lockheed's current internal motto is: "One company, One team". This would be wonderful if it were in the least bit true. It's not. The attempts are being made to do this through reorgs and purchasing rearrangements (ie dropping all DB2 licenses and Lenovo purchasing to remove the association of the Owego site with the days of old with IBM).

Consider your inefficiencies with a redwood tree, not a grain of salt. Separate code from markup, reconsider maintenance window time-frames. For physical products, leverage an interaction with people, rather than blindly sticking to six-sigma reports.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Software Engineer Asc in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Asc in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The pay here is very competitive, the prestige of working for a major contractor in addition to job security. Opportunities for advancement and relocation, and generally good, friendly people both as co-workers and as managers. Lots of opportunities to meet up

Cons

Lots of red tape, some typical antisocial engineers that can be hard to work with, some politics.

Keep looking into other business opportunities other than military.

Lockheed Martin, Boring but stable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

- Stable Job
    - Technical work experience

Cons

- Boring Job
    - Your peers do not aspire to be much

Open Source Software is not your enemy. It is often better than the software provided by the incompetent vendors we often hire.

Start out ambitious and they will wear you down

Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

On paper it is a great place to work. They pitch ideas about work life balance, career advancement, leadership development, flex time, benefits that fit todays changing workplace and oppertunities for growth and inward mobility. Who you work for and with is how you survive. If you are on a good project with good people you will probably love your job there.

Cons

Usually, these benefits mentioned above are applicable when it helps the company, not so much when you need to use them. Often flex time is used so you can attend meetings at 4pm on Fridays or work Saturday nights without compensation, but if you utilize flextime to come in an hour late or leave an hour early, you usually will be questioned about where you are. Additionally, no matter how much they talk about work/life balance it doesnt apply unless you are inbetween projects. If you are working on something "high impact" which is more and more these days, you will be working substantial overtime w/ or w/o compensation and have no vacation rules implemented by management. There is at least one project a year that prevents people fromtaking holidays off. One of the other things that really irks me is that there is no sick time. Technically you can use any unpaid overtime as sick time, however you will probably be looked at negatively for doing so. Even individuals with a couple hundred hours of unpaid overtime will be told to limit their use of the time for sickness. Lastly the Performance Management system is terrible. Lower level employees get rated very mediocre on average because there is a bell curve for the whole department that needs to be met. As someone who is currently striving to improve my profession, skills and projects, I often mind myself discouraged and stunted.

Completely revamp the performance management process. Listen to younger employees, dont always believe what the more "experienced" have to say. Do not pigeon hole people into one project. Allow people to move internally if they want to, if not they will just go external.

A great place to start a career

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Associate in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Great for starting a career and short term advancement. Peopl are more than willing to share there knowledge and inprove your growth as an engineer. With the high number of senior engineers there is a wealth of knowledge to be given and since they are so close to retirment there is plenty of room for advancement as well.

Cons

The size and that fact that upper management don't really know who are working for them. The political stucture is very complex and hard to comprehend when first starting out. The big picture is also hard to grasp at first but becomes more clear over time.

Understand your employees better and go less by the numbers

A top notch defense contractor that takes care of its employees

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Asc in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Asc in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

LM is a great company to get your bearings. If you are looking to do system level work, this is the place for you. I felt very secure in my job and that I was contributing significantly to projects within 6 months of my start date.

Cons

The age gap between senior and junior engineers is often staggering. I think both parties have a hard time relating and this results in a lower amount of mentoring.

Implement profit sharing. Modify ratings system to accommodate employees who have been there half a year or less.

lockheed is a company

Current Employee - Doer of Stuff in Owego, NY
    Current Employee - Doer of Stuff in Owego, NY

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

some of the reasons can include the vast amount of products being worked on. since there are so many depts it may be easier to move around and see what is going on. there are some cool people there too depending on how genuinely interested they are in what they do. up state ny is pretty cool too if you like to do out doorsy things. if you feel a strong love for this country (usa) then maybe defense is for you. they talk a lot about ethics which may mean they are relatively ethical they are also some what diverse.

Cons

downsides of working at lockheed martin systems integration may include you wont be rich. it may also mean you will not be in the most social environment, it may mean your employees may not be too motivated. who knows. it all depends on what dept you are in. if you dont like walking around a lot you may not like the layout of lm campus. you may not like the atmosphere or culture at lm since it seems pretty dry and clean cut. yeah owego itself is not that happening either so maybe location aint so hot for you to work in.

relax

Great Internship experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The people there are great. They are always willing to help you and they make sure that you understand the tasks that you need to do. Pay is not bad. I am quite happy with the amount they offered me for a full time position given that the Binghamton area has a very low cost of living. Managers are willing to help you and deal with any concerns you may have.

Cons

The facility where I worked in Owego, NY is so huge that you get lost all the time. You have to ask around your first few days because you will get lost.

Hold one-on-one meetings more often - at least once a week.

Interned at LM, good experience, better resume

Former Employee - Co-Op in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Was offered a full time job following internship with competitive salary/ full benefits (still yet to accept), helpful coworkers, manager always available (when not in meetings). Having an internship doing meaningful work at a major company looks good on your resume apparently.

Cons

Cubicle land- love it or hate it. Work can be tedious/boring at times. May be forced to work overtime, but not be payed for it

Take the two seconds to actually remember my name and make me feel welcome