Lockheed Martin

3.4 2,187 reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

2,187 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance"
    in 188 reviews
  • "with a 9/80 work schedule we are off every other Friday"
    in 79 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is hit or miss depending on the program"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Large company in a contacting field makes it difficult to feel part of the company"
    in 66 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mismanaged

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsVery flexible schedule if you are in the right group

ConsVery few opportunities for promotion
    Performance ratings are too formulaic and if your manager won't fight for you, you're screwed
    Large corporation with their priorities in the wrong order

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring engineers for non engineering positions (QA, CM, management). This practice is bad for the engineers who are bored out of their mind with non-technical problems, is bad for the company who is forced to pay engineer salaries to paper-pushers, and is bad for morale since most engineers don't believe in people skills so they make horrible managers.
    Concentrate on building a strong technical talent pool, award and keep your top contributors, and try to follow the spirit of all the processes and propaganda you push on your people instead of just following the letter.

Great work-life balance, but might not be the best place for younger workers

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsInteresting and important projects - you get to build stuff that really matters.
    Great work-life balance. The vast majority of work weeks have been 40 hour weeks. Salaried employees are eligible for OT pay in most cases.
    Fair pay and benefits.

ConsGrowth opportunities are sketchy, and seem to be more about who you know, and being in the right place at the right time. Promotions have become almost nonexistent for the last couple of years. This is part of a company acknowledged effort to cut costs.
    Very bureaucratic. Extremely hard to make positive changes on any of the large programs.
    Lack of communication and knowledge sharing between teams.
    None of the fun benefits you'd expect as an engineer in Silicon Valley. If you're young, single, and fresh out of college, there are probably better places to start your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a lot of concern about what's going to happen to the Sunnyvale campus, the direction you're taking it should be made clear to everyone. You also need to work harder to make this a more desirable place to work for younger employees.

Program Planner

Program Planner (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThere is an onsite Gym.

ConsManagement is ok with you moving…as long as it is within their department. It looks really bad if that manager allows too many people leave the scheduling department. I have had 3 jobs canceled on me because my Sr. manager made it extremely difficult for to leave.
    Also, the atmosphere is really bad. It is still old style management in 4 person cubes and no windows. It is a 5 minute walk to see the outdoors.
    You are expected to be at work for at least 40hrs, anything above that you can telecommute without a mother may I. However, come performance appraisal time you will be penalized for not averaging 43hrs a week.

Advice to Senior Managementupdate the facilities, boost moral and allow working from home.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not What you Can Offer, it's Who You Know -

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge enough to offer a variety of career paths. Competitive salaries and benefits.

ConsGrowing your career depends on Who you Know, not What you Can Offer. I had the misfortune of working at an LM support office for an AFB in Illinois; there was a Triad of Power that 'ran things'. My supervisor was remote - located on the east coast - and when I reported the difficulties I encountered, he CONFIRMED them. His response was "most of Lockheed isn't like this". So, if you're considering a position with LM, check the specifics Thoroughly. BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU STEP IN; YOU MAY BE SCRAPING IT OFF YOUR SHOE FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems Completely Intractable, incapable of any vision beyond the Next Rung on the Corporate Ladder.

LM may be a great company

ProsGreat group of people work there. The work is interesting. The customer is one of the best in the world.

ConsLM may be a great company to work for, somewhere, unfortunately that place is not Lexington, KY. At no point since LM took over have they done anything to show that they care for the work force that came with the program. As a salaried employee all LM has done is take away benefits.

Pay is good, management not so much.

Electronics Technician (Former Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsI can't complain about the pay, wages are set by the Area Wage Determination (AWD) which is determined by the federal government. Hours worked were very flexible, although I believe this was due to my immediate manager, and not due to the company as a whole.

ConsBenefits are too expensive, even though AWD allocates an additional $3-something to pay for benefits, I was losing about 40% of my paycheck to insure my family of 3. Information about what was going on was impossible to find, everything I heard was based on the local rumors. Seemed like the company was only concerned about their overall profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne, let your employees know what is going on, if you are planning lay offs, say so, don't just lead everyone on and say that you are trying to get work and that you need to "live within your means". We know this, and it's hard to live within your means when you take our means away from us.

Two, stop it already with the upper management, you have too much, no wonder you can't get work, you have too many salaries to pay. I know that just in my building alone, there were something like 4 tiers of bosses above me, maybe more, and even those had their own sub-bosses, and side-bosses. Too much micro management.

Three, I know that you are a business, and you need to make profits, but your workload decreased by a large percentage, yet you still were able to make something like 23% in profits, that's a bit much, how about spreading the wealth a little bit instead of laying everyone off to pad your own pockets a little bit more.

Four, practice what you preach, you shove all of this act ethical crap down our throats, yet you turn around and do the exact opposite. Like charging the customer hours for us to have meeting on how to cut costs and save money, which solely benefits you. How about passing those savings on to the customer so that they will continue to give you work instead of going to a competitor who can do the same thing for 25% of the cost.

No review needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat overseas experience, great benefits

ConsThere were no negative experiences...............................

Great experiences, but not what it used to be

Systems Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsLots of opportunity to move around different business areas to gain different experiences in a cost center or P&L. Opportunities for work/life balance at the staff level. Great health and continued education benefits.

ConsToo many cooks in the kitchen. Seems the poor leaders get moved around rather than demoted or removed. Low morale with many workforce reductions. Not many bonus opportunities. Awards are usually minimal monetary value (less than 2K). Typical merit increase is less than 3%.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your managers and allow more flexibility with work hours and telecommuting where appropriate. Many companies are embracing a telecommuting culture, but seems LM is taking steps backwards and taking this privilege away from leaders that are used to having this benefit. Also, realize the fun is being sucked out of working at LM. It's ok to have fun while you're working and it will improve productivity. Don't discourage it.

Hopefully all the lifers retire soon

ProsGood work-life balance for most people

ConsLimited growth unless you have 20-30yrs of experience. All the young, motivated people get grad degrees and leave.

politics

Business Development (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosopportunity to develop into new markets

Conspolitics, too much inward business and not enough outward business, no cross division culture and joint ventures despite platform technologies

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your customers, sense the opportunities

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Lockheed Martin Videos

Lockheed Martin – Why Work for Us?

From our history to our international footprint, there are certain things you want to know about us as it pertains to your career. Many CAREER AREAS To Choose From Discover where your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All 2,187 reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.