Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin Reviews in King of Prussia, PA

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great internship program

College Intern Non-tech Specific (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsLM really knows how to take care of their interns. They paid for my relocation, gave me interesting and challenging, projects, encouraged development by setting me up with senior leaders, paid my rent, and my director took the time to personally develop me as an employee. The pay was on the higher end as well. Lockheed is full of smart people as well.

LM also has a great culture. It is a very ethical and solid company.

I took a full time job only because I wanted to be in a major city/be in consulting. However, one day i would love to return to LM in an internal role.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in young talent.

Overall an excellent employer, although at times somewhat demanding

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsA very ethical company that provides a challenging environment with good compensation and benefits

ConsLM can be a rather intense place to work, depending on the project and schedule. Reasonably high level of concern over quality of life issues for employees, opportunity for training and job mobility in the company. Managing work life balance can be an issues ... hours can be long.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh standards and uncompromising ethics are transmitted very effectively to all employees. The pace of life at LM can be very demanding, and effective personal management is needed to avoid burn-out in some jobs.

I enjoyed my 10+ years at Lockheed Martin

Systems Integration & Test Engineer (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsDuring the first 5 years of my career at LM, the possibilities for career growth were endless. LM was winning government contracts at an outstanding rate and the work was plentiful. I had the opportunity to travel, meet new people and learn a lot about the company.

ConsThe remainder of my career was nothing like the beginning of my career. As government contracts slowed down, so did the work available to the employees. LM has an extremely high turn over rate and often I felt as if I were just another employee. Definitely a insider "good old boys" organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very careful about who you let manage people. Some managers had very poor people skills even though they were great technical managers. When your technical manager is also your functional manager, that conflict of interest can really disrupt the career path of an employee.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Fashioned Company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsOffers the opportunity to work for large projects of vital importance to the nation. Pay and benefits are good.

ConsThis company works with a lot of old legacy practices and technology and, aside from a small percentage of individuals and a few pockets here and there, is not very innovative. A great many people want to avoid change altogether and actively resist it. This company is trying to go agile, but, aside from a few individuals, just doesn't get it.

You're generally either under micromanagement or hit and run management. The company doesn't want to promote anyone except in rare cases. Work-life balance is supported in theory, but in practice you'll be given more work than you could ever possibly complete in a 40 hour work week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people. They are your most valuable asset.

For a high tech company, change must be a constant.

Agile is something that the whole organization needs to be, not just software developers.

Great Place to Start and Grow a Career

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsExcellent work/life balance, supportive management, great benefits, good culture, many opportunities to grow w/in the company and obtain varied experience in multiple domains. Senior management had good mix of business and engineering expertise.

ConsWhen I worked there, some organizations had too many (unnecessary) levels of management, but I've heard that this has improved over the last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I had a very positive experience working for Lockheed Martin for 25 years.

Senior Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsI was treated very fairly by most of my supervisors, and I consistently received above average performance appraisals.

ConsThe turnover in middle management often leads to a lack of continuity. For one stretch in my career, I reported to about six different managers within just a few years ... in the same job. Also, some programs and business lines are too narrowly focused on a single government customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize the vulnerability of associating an entire program or business line to a single customer (agency). It might be a better business model to align your divisions more closely to the skill set of your employees. In other words, pursue parallel customers who need the same skill set. Your own claim used to be "move work, not people"; yet now, you seem to implement the opposite: lay off people, rather than move the work.

Stockroom , Sr. Tech

Senior Technician (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsWork for them for 7 years a very good company to work for

ConsGetting Laid off going for a new position for only 6 month when I could be still working in Newtown in the stockroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love to be called back

Probably the worst place to work as a developer

Software Engineer Associate (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsAverage pay
    Looks decent on a resume

ConsBoring, white-collar, Office Space-style cube farm.
    Work with outdated technology (literally worked on 30 year old C code).
    Work through a million processes to get anything done.
    No internet access (I had to get up and walk across the room to a shared computer to look up things on the internet).
    Lots of old people coasting to retirement.

Subbed Out

Security Guard Specialist (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsGood job if you can keep it.

ConsThe only groups not being subcontracted out are upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your own inflated salaries when its time to cut back

Opportunity to move around in the company, flexible schedule, but years of experience outweigh all else for promotions

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

Pros- matching 401k: they match 50% of the first 8% you contribute
    - flexible schedule, work from home may be available (but it's getting more difficult to get approved)
    - usually okay with 40.0 hours/week

ConsIt doesn't matter how good you are as a developer - years of experience are HEAVILY weighted. Talented 25 year olds can out-code a developer making twice their salary

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers to give bonuses, and to fast-track young developers to senior developer level.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!