Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

HR Business Partner

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsGood benefits, generous time off, and flexible work schedules; easy to move around the company if you are willing to relocate

ConsPay is often lower than competitors; performance management review system is rigged and only reflect what your manager things; lots of older generation workers not open to new ideas; layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to employees and engage with them their ideas and suggestions; don't only promote your favorites

Finding out the company has no intention of following its own code of conduct, but uses policies as a weapon

Senior Staff, Engineering (Former Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsInteresting work, good compensation, career growth potential (provided you're willing to do what you management wants, regardless of ethics/integrity)

ConsDishonest management and HR (esp. to it's primary customer: the US government, management has no issue committing fraud, and demands employees follow suit or risk retaliation and potentially being fired for relatively minor policy violations while ignoring major infractions reported by employees)
    Salary plan is not to reward for performance, yet to drive people to the "industry average"

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the long term effect of not following your own code of conduct and policies. At some time, the government will strike back, and you are busy

Grab Hold of Your Career?????

Software Engineer Staff (Former Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsThe salary I received over the years was awesome. Some of the projects were good - but I definately did not think the projects were cutting edge or very technically relevant. And in the end they did not contribute much to my resume. Pretty sure anything technically relevant was given to a younger person. In fact, after working on a java project for a couple of weeks - management swooped in to remove me and place one of the "Leadership Program" people on the team. The lawyer I spoke to told me that the person had some "other" special training that made him a better fit for the project.

ConsIt is gov't contracting after all. This can make it not so stable of a career at times. We had several large, older programs shutdown the last couple of years and the company and HR management literally did nothing to help us find jobs inside the company. We joked about their "Grab Hold of Your Career" effort as being "Grab Hold of Your Rear"! After years of working hard in my cubicle I was expected to have some huge network of engineers and managers that I should work from to find MYSELF a job! Yep - that's what Grab Hold of My Career did for me! Submitting my resume to job requisitions year after year resulted in not a single phone call from anyone or an internal interview. When sequestration occurred last year - I was also expected to sit in my cubicle doing nothing (for 8 weeks!) because I had no contract number to charge to.
    Really Lockheed Martin? I had always been very proud to work for Lockheed Martin but it really resulted in a big zero for me.
    Lockheed Martin provides little to no training - so it is very hard to stay abreast of new technologies - especially for software geeks. (Go to Northrop!)
    Oh - also - watch it if you are a level 4 - you absolutely will not be able to move around much. Try to stay a cheap level 3 for a long as you can!

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter having a short stint at Northrop Grumman after my layoff at Lockheed Martin - I was so surprised to see that all of those software engineers at NGC received tons of relevant training - all the time! They were constantly taking week long training sessions in Javascript, JEE, java, etc. They were given more opportunities there as well - no matter your age!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Lockheed Martin was a tremendous educational experience.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsThe best reasons to work here are the salary and the work week schedule with every other Friday off.

ConsThe atmosphere can be biting.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more with the folks.

Diverse work that can be fun and challenging.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsBenefits, time off, and pay are good. Work is diverse and interesting. Lots of good and bright people in most areas.

ConsWork life balance is non existent. Have been working 10+ hours a day for close to 3 years now and have been under threat of layoff for all of them. Have tons of vacation that I can't use and keep on losing. Difficult to transfer between jobs. There is no training budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize there is more to managing a company that just pleasing the stock holders.

10 Years with IS&GS in Littleton, CO

Adv Tech Leadership Prog Stf (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsDisclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.
    Pros -
    • People – Workforce in Littleton are some of the best people I have ever met.
    • Ethics!! – LM and IS&GS is a very ethical company. In 10 years, I have never witnessed any unethical behavior.
    • 9/80 Schedule – Awesome for Work/Life Balance.
    • Project Management – IS&GS knows how to run large IT projects effectively and efficiently.
    • Vacation – 3 Weeks of Vacation Annually which can be carried over from year to year. (Max is 10 weeks) Plus 40 hours of flex holiday time which has to be used in that year.

ConsDisclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.
    Cons-
    • In the past several years, IS&GS has implemented the “Age of Affordability”. This has had a very negative effect on the workforce resulting in low morale and disengagement.
    • Due to the Age of Affordability, pressure has been placed on the workforce in the areas of pay freezes and benefit reductions. For instance, tuition reimbursement has been reduced.
    • IS&GS has zero training budget.
    • IS&GS is too slow to react. Both in IT technologies and in market forces.
    • There is a huge disconnect due to geography. Senior Management within IS&GS is very biased to the East Coast and doesn’t know the market/economy or workforce needs outside this location. For instance, the East Coast does not support the 9/80 schedule.
    • L-codes (functional managers) are the face of the company. They are counted on to foster engagement, but lack of resources and authority prevents them from focusing on this.
    • No mid-career growth plan.
    • Divestiture in pension plan.
    • IS&GS is over-leveraged to Government Contracting. A more diverse portfolio would counteract big swings in workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.

To start, IS&GS management needs to empower the L-codes. Resources (budget, time, training, etc.) need to be targeted to the functional roles to increase morale and engagement. This will increase productivity, which will result in the end of the “Age of Affordability”. The current state is unsustainable.

LM, a great company to work for

Staff Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

Prosmany opportunities, training, career development

ConsIt doesn't pay to be loyal, this is perhaps true for most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who consistently rate above average should not be paid below market average, which is what the HR pay system strives to do. This sends the wrong message to the high-caliber employee.

Great employer on southwest side of Denver

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsFlex time, some benefits, pay

Constons of unpaid overtime, high stress environment

Advice to Senior Managementoverhead functions have been downsized to a unsustainable level

Stable Employment, but little appreciation

Materials Engineer (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsCo-workers were genuinely interested in helping. Good people.

ConsLots of bureaucracy. Management had a hard time appreciating true strengths of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people as individuals, rather than simply "resources" .

Squeezing us dry

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Littleton, CO

ProsWork life balance policies , vac time, experience, ability to work from home is only thing keeping me here even though they are forcing mandatory unpaid overtime

ConsUnrealistic management driven deadlines. Constant downsizing without decrease in workload
    Promotions are a battle even though your work is a level above. Unpaid overtime that is mandated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstability of restructure is stressful. Company needs to fight to retain its talented workforce and retain knowledge but instability causes the talent to leave and the unproductive and unknowledgeable workers to remain behind.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Lockheed Martin Videos

Lockheed Martin – Why Work for Us?

From our history to our international footprint, there are certain things you want to know about us as it pertains to your career. Many CAREER AREAS To Choose From Discover where your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings in Littleton, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.