Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,337 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

LM Review

Former Employee - Business Operations Manager  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Business Operations Manager in Littleton, CO

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Rewarding programs to work on.
    Good benefits.
    Flexibility to move around.
    Exciting work supporting critical US interests.

Cons

Uninvolved management.
    Advancement completely depends on political connections.
    Shocking favoritism in such a large organization.
    Non-communicative atmosphere, "need to know" philosophy

Managers must be evaluated by peers and subordinates. One bad manager will cause disruptions and loss of critically skilled people.

Lockheed Martin is a challenging and rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent management, exciting technical opportunities and the chance to work with cutting edge technology.

Cons

Large corporation with large corporation politics. Easy to get lost in the shuffle. You will always have to keep your head up and look for opportunities to stand out.

Spend less time looking after old friends and fellow senior management and more time looking for new opportunities Ina shrinking investment space.

Innovative Company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, professional staff, friendly employees.

Cons

High stress, not much chance for non-technical staff to move up.

Need improvement in work-life balance issues, enable cross-training for administrative assistants to move up in company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finding out the company has no intention of following its own code of conduct, but uses policies as a weapon

Former Employee - Senior Staff, Engineering  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Staff, Engineering in Littleton, CO

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work, good compensation, career growth potential (provided you're willing to do what you management wants, regardless of ethics/integrity)

Cons

Dishonest management and HR (esp. to it's primary customer: the US government, management has no issue committing fraud, and demands employees follow suit or risk retaliation and potentially being fired for relatively minor policy violations while ignoring major infractions reported by employees)
    Salary plan is not to reward for performance, yet to drive people to the "industry average"

Think about the long term effect of not following your own code of conduct and policies. At some time, the government will strike back, and you are busy

Grab Hold of Your Career?????

Former Employee - Software Engineer Staff  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Littleton, CO

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary I received over the years was awesome. Some of the projects were good - but I definately did not think the projects were cutting edge or very technically relevant. And in the end they did not contribute much to my resume. Pretty sure anything technically relevant was given to a younger person. In fact, after working on a java project for a couple of weeks - management swooped in to remove me and place one of the "Leadership Program" people on the team. The lawyer I spoke to told me that the person had some "other" special training that made him a better fit for the project.

Cons

It is gov't contracting after all. This can make it not so stable of a career at times. We had several large, older programs shutdown the last couple of years and the company and HR management literally did nothing to help us find jobs inside the company. We joked about their "Grab Hold of Your Career" effort as being "Grab Hold of Your Rear"! After years of working hard in my cubicle I was expected to have some huge network of engineers and managers that I should work from to find MYSELF a job! Yep - that's what Grab Hold of My Career did for me! Submitting my resume to job requisitions year after year resulted in not a single phone call from anyone or an internal interview. When sequestration occurred last year - I was also expected to sit in my cubicle doing nothing (for 8 weeks!) because I had no contract number to charge to.
    Really Lockheed Martin? I had always been very proud to work for Lockheed Martin but it really resulted in a big zero for me.
    Lockheed Martin provides little to no training - so it is very hard to stay abreast of new technologies - especially for software geeks. (Go to Northrop!)
    Oh - also - watch it if you are a level 4 - you absolutely will not be able to move around much. Try to stay a cheap level 3 for a long as you can!

After having a short stint at Northrop Grumman after my layoff at Lockheed Martin - I was so surprised to see that all of those software engineers at NGC received tons of relevant training - all the time! They were constantly taking week long training sessions in Javascript, JEE, java, etc. They were given more opportunities there as well - no matter your age!

HR Business Partner

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, generous time off, and flexible work schedules; easy to move around the company if you are willing to relocate

Cons

Pay is often lower than competitors; performance management review system is rigged and only reflect what your manager things; lots of older generation workers not open to new ideas; layoffs

Actually listen to employees and engage with them their ideas and suggestions; don't only promote your favorites

Working at Lockheed Martin was a tremendous educational experience.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Littleton, CO

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the salary and the work week schedule with every other Friday off.

Cons

The atmosphere can be biting.

Work more with the folks.

Diverse work that can be fun and challenging.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, time off, and pay are good. Work is diverse and interesting. Lots of good and bright people in most areas.

Cons

Work life balance is non existent. Have been working 10+ hours a day for close to 3 years now and have been under threat of layoff for all of them. Have tons of vacation that I can't use and keep on losing. Difficult to transfer between jobs. There is no training budget.

Realize there is more to managing a company that just pleasing the stock holders.

10 Years with IS&GS in Littleton, CO

Current Employee - Adv Tech Leadership Prog Stf  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Adv Tech Leadership Prog Stf in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.
    Pros -
    • People – Workforce in Littleton are some of the best people I have ever met.
    • Ethics!! – LM and IS&GS is a very ethical company. In 10 years, I have never witnessed any unethical behavior.
    • 9/80 Schedule – Awesome for Work/Life Balance.
    • Project Management – IS&GS knows how to run large IT projects effectively and efficiently.
    • Vacation – 3 Weeks of Vacation Annually which can be carried over from year to year. (Max is 10 weeks) Plus 40 hours of flex holiday time which has to be used in that year.

Cons

Disclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.
    Cons-
    • In the past several years, IS&GS has implemented the “Age of Affordability”. This has had a very negative effect on the workforce resulting in low morale and disengagement.
    • Due to the Age of Affordability, pressure has been placed on the workforce in the areas of pay freezes and benefit reductions. For instance, tuition reimbursement has been reduced.
    • IS&GS has zero training budget.
    • IS&GS is too slow to react. Both in IT technologies and in market forces.
    • There is a huge disconnect due to geography. Senior Management within IS&GS is very biased to the East Coast and doesn’t know the market/economy or workforce needs outside this location. For instance, the East Coast does not support the 9/80 schedule.
    • L-codes (functional managers) are the face of the company. They are counted on to foster engagement, but lack of resources and authority prevents them from focusing on this.
    • No mid-career growth plan.
    • Divestiture in pension plan.
    • IS&GS is over-leveraged to Government Contracting. A more diverse portfolio would counteract big swings in workload.

Disclaimer: All comments are about the IS&GS Business Unit, not LM as a whole.

To start, IS&GS management needs to empower the L-codes. Resources (budget, time, training, etc.) need to be targeted to the functional roles to increase morale and engagement. This will increase productivity, which will result in the end of the “Age of Affordability”. The current state is unsustainable.

LM, a great company to work for

Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

many opportunities, training, career development

Cons

It doesn't pay to be loyal, this is perhaps true for most companies.

Employees who consistently rate above average should not be paid below market average, which is what the HR pay system strives to do. This sends the wrong message to the high-caliber employee.

Lockheed Martin Photos

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!