Lockheed Martin Reviews

Reset
4.2
Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • The work-life balance was great (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

Loved working for Lockheed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have previously worked for LM a total of 10 years and at 3 different locations. Each time, I liked the people, the work environment, and the company mission. LM does a nice job trying to insure their employees are comfortable and well trained. Depending on your division and position, the hours are flexible. The last division I worked for had 9/80 work weeks. It is like getting a long weekend every other week.

Cons

The downside is you are working in an industry (defense) that is subject to lots of layoffs and uncertainty. During layoff times and plant closings, the mood of employees is sour. Even so, most people still tend to try to do the best they can for they dying position. Pay could be better.

Senior Staff Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Major programs and advancement opportunities. Potential for long-term career with programs sometimes running decades. Various U.S. and international locations, providing the opportunity to relocate. Stable company with highly experienced employees.

Cons

The defense industry is cyclical with war efforts. Lockheed Martin consolidates and closes facilities during market downturns, which is understandable, but the closures may be perceived to be politically based instead of due to sound business decisions.

Advice to Management

Continue to successfully deliver on complex technology programs, thus making the company eligible to win new contracts. When closing facilities, select those based on sound business analysis vs. what's politically expedient or easier.

3. Great company with fantastic talent management

Former Employee - Senior Staff Project Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Project Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internal and external education support and plenty of internal advancement opportunities presented to those who care to pursue their career. 9/80 work hours with every other Friday off was a great perk.

Cons

Massive size of company can be daunting for those who aren't proactive. Existing policies can deter some new ideas. Company success tied to government political relationships which vary regionally.

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue and share long range strategic vision internally to keep the spirit alive.

5. Not sure...new hire

Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, potential tuition reimbursement for grad school

Cons

Lack of young people; older demographic

6. As a government contractor never working at a company facility I still feel included.

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

extensive benefits and stock purchase and other financial benefits along with training and tuition/certification reimbursment up to $5400 a year

Cons

feeling dislocated from management and benefits it took me over two years to find out the opportunities available.

Advice to Management

HR needs to have a presentation of benefits and when they are available to new employees.

7. Don't know if it was the corporation or the division

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Exciting opportunities - Working with high-tech solutions - Very defined culture, comfort of business expectations - Supporting our nation's warfighters; feeling to contribute to our national defense - Mission focused

Cons

- Management sometimes forgot who we were working for, despite the company slogan; in decisions, what was best for the company was the primary motivator, and often times what was best for the customer (warfighter) wasn't even a consideration - Management instituted a time recording system in which excess hours worked on a project beyond 40 pr week were NOT to be recorded, resulting in some unethical practices that I didn't feel right about (5-o'clock programs) - No clear path to move up. Despite management promises, it took me quitting to finally get offered the promotion that was denied to me over several years. Had they offered me the promotion earlier, I would not have left to go to another company. - You are treated like just another cog in the huge corporate machine. To the company, you are just a number. That would be okay if the middle tier and local management didn't also treat you that same way.

Advice to Management

- Making profit and supporting the customer are NOT mutually exclusive - Invest in your employees. Don't expect the government to continually foot the bill to train and educate your employees. - Have a plan to move high performers into higher positions; don't make them feel they have to leave the company in order to grow - Don't ask your employees to engage in questionable time-keeping practices. Defense contractors got slammed for this twenty years ago during Operation Ill Wind; don't make the same mistakes again. Just because you can't plan for adequate schedule or priced your contract to win without any idea of how to actually accomplish it, don't put it on your employees to donate countless long - and unrecorded hours - to save the corporation money. - Ensure your employees are feeling valued.

8. Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, I enjoyed working there. Good people, exciting to be a part of such an iconic company

Cons

None stand out enough to complain.

Advice to Management

I never had any notable complaints towards management

9. In one sentence, Lockheed Martin is an awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Logistics Lead & Project Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Logistics Lead & Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for hard chargers

Cons

Graybeards already retired and do not connect with others well

Advice to Management

Stay top notch and continue to support employees

10. Sr. Systems/Test Engineer

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pay and benefits are above average

Cons

On a Bell curve rating system, someone has to be number 1 and someone has to be on the bottom no matter how productive you are.

Advice to Management

Quit catering to the young engineers, they are mature enough to handle minimal pressure.

11. Best experience of my career

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very demanding work environment with as many challenges as one can handle. Able to coordinate efforts between engineering, marketing, business development, procurement, legal, operations, etc. I knew exactly who I was working for and their mission. Being able to coordinate that with the organization has been a unmatched experience.

Cons

No complaints here. Work environment was very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Work was very rewarding when I was there in 2007.

Showing 31 of 3,102 reviews