Lockheed Martin

3.5
2,519 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good job if you are proactive and can tolerate red tape.

Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good steady pay check. If you network correctly you can find some very technically interesting cutting edge programs. the benefits are good. you get to work a 9/80 schedule (every other friday off). you get three weeks of vacation, flex time and you can work on your off days to build up to two weeks of additional vacation time. They're also ok with you working from home from time to time. Very accommodating as employers go.

Cons

Red tape and excessive process. If you don't network properly you can can easily get pigeon holed in a boring uncreative job. You can spend way too much time doing mind numbing documentation because your following some arcane directive that wasn't originally crafted with your project in mind but which got blindly applied to all programs across the company

cut out 90% of our mandatory processes.

Meh

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Decent company culture

Cons

Lack of interesting and relevant work
    Lack of transparency from managment
    Terrible communication about R&D happenings
    Little to no career mobility

I have worked at LM for 10 years

Current Employee - Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Technically challenging tasks, good pay

Cons

Very little possibility of advancement

I used to be disgusted...now I try to be amused.

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

So many cool projects, so little time! Honest, if you can find a good manager who can keep you in charge numbers for projects that interest you, you will never be bored. And it's not all missiles and airplanes and shoot-em-out-of-the-sky stuff. You can hold your head high no matter what your politics are. You can be as intellectually challenged as you want to be.

Cons

After a while the paperwork/time accounting starts to get to you. And lately it's getting harder and harder to find the magic charge numbers to justify your existence. Did I mention ethics training? The buildings (in the Bay Area, anyway) are drab and the people dress to match them! Women are few and far between, BTW. But on the flip side, the're wicked smaht :-)

Oh, well. That's like asking a cat to give advice to a dog. "Keep on herding, you're doing an awesome job.."? Really. You are dealing with engineers. Watch "Office Space". Don't make us do paperwork. Understand where our interests lie and help us find work in those areas.

I work at Lockheed Martin

Current Employee - Electro-Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Electro-Optical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Wide variety of projects to work on ranging from space based platforms to UAV to ground-based. If you're technically creative there's research money available to get new ideas off the ground. There is no sense of intellectual protectionism, and full credit is given to employees whose ideas are successful. It's easy to move up in the organization if one is willing to take on additional responsibility.

Cons

Because we work on hardware that is launched into space and cannot be easily serviced, the corporation is extremely conservative in systems design, meaning it's difficult to inject new and interesting technology, and we're frequently weighted down by over-bearing paperwork and process to ensure 1000% mission success.

Learn to take more risks; no company lasts forever if they keep churning out the same hardware.