Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,346 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding, Best in the Industry

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent management at all levels. The company really lives out its beliefs: Do What's Right, Respect Others, Perform with Excellence. There are many career paths to take within Lockheed and no one is limited to a single path. Management will work with employees to shape and guide careers. The company supports employees and allows flexible work schedules. CEO Marilyn Hewson is an outstanding communicator, and keeps in touch with the worker-bees. Overall, an excellent place to work.

Cons

In big companies a lot of emphasis is put on winning bids, and high-fives are given to teams that win. However, a lot good work is also done on a losing effort. Professionals work really hard even when they lose, and their effort should be recognized and high-fives passed around.

Continue the open communications with employees about what's going on in this huge company....especially during downsizing. This really help when times get tough.

Positive Productive Internship

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Learned a lot, my team was friendly. Work life balance was great and Lockheed encouraged outside of work friendships and clubs.

Cons

There is fierce competition between the different engineering teams. This was very counterproductive as a intern.

Great opportunity for development

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

LM offers very good early career development opportunities through its Leadership Development Program. Work is very interesting and it is easy to take pride in what you do. LM SSC has a 9-80 schedule. This offers very good work-life balance.
    LM SSC also offers very competitive benefits.

Cons

Due to ongoing budgetary pressures, LM has responded with cost-cutting measures that includes promotion freezes. This has left lot of mid-career professionals in the lurch and looking elsewhere. Part of this process has also meant degradation of their benefits.

Mid-career professionals are key to filling a widening skills gap due to near-term retirement of many engineers. Solid plans, that included opportunities and compensation are required to retain mid-career professionals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Crew Chief  in  Eglin AFB, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Chief in Eglin AFB, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job is exciting and rewarding most of the time.

Cons

Management is lost most of the time

Great technical experiences

Current Employee - Program Management Associate Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Management Associate Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great training, good aerospace experience. Great people and support. Overall great company. Work-life balance depends on what programs or organizations you're in. In manufacturing and operations it can get pretty overwhelming with the expected amount of overtime you are to put in.

Cons

Not enough work to support plant. There is a severe lack of future work for Space Systems.

There is a need to break the dependence on government only work. There is a lot of extensive experience in the Sunnyvale plant but that experience is walking out the door and Lockheed is only too willing to hold the door.

It was a good long run.

Former Employee - Material Handling Supervisor
    Former Employee - Material Handling Supervisor

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lockheed Martin has good benefits and a good plan to take care of employees. There are plenty of opportunities for young professionals.

Cons

There aren't many Cons I have to list while working for Lockheed Martin. Contracts run out everyday and that is the only risks I faced.

Continue to support employees, especially during government budget cuts.

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Stennis Space Center, MS
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Stennis Space Center, MS

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyday benefits are above average. Many "extra" benefits such as reduced cell contracts, negotiated discounts with American automobile manufactures, huge discounts with rental car agencies and travel discounts to name just a few.

Cons

No different then any other job. I have been fortunate to work with a good number of great co-workers. I have only experienced a few that are difficult to work with and none of them were managers.

Continue the recognition even at the lowest level. It doesn't have to be much, just a public thank you around their piers.

Positive experience

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

LM has strong talent development programs. They develop cool technologies and are one of the leading A&D providers.

Cons

Government contracting has a relatively slow pace of doing business. Large organization sometimes takes a while to get approvals.

Consider cultural changes to attract junior talent.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great learning experience and mentoring program. Awesome 9/80 schedule and able to work with a lot of intelligent people

Cons

Communication from management can be better

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lockheed is a great company to work for. I was a summer software intern and the experience was awesome. I gained a lot of experience developing software and working on a team. Even though I was an intern, I was treated as a professional and I was given serious work. Everyone acted as a mentor for me and I was able to really put my skills to the test. I was paid well and I was also offered a tentative full time position after I graduate. There is also plenty of room for growth and they allowed me to perform tasks that I was interested in learning about. Also hours were great especially with flex time allowing me to come whenever I wanted between 7-9 AM as long as I put in 9 hours a day and I got every other Friday off.

Cons

For me being a very young worker, the corporate culture was different from what many companies are beginning to move towards. It was very conservative and a majority of the workers were older people who had been there long. The cube life can get boring sometimes and social interaction is kept at a minimum.

Only thing I would advise is to loosen up a bit but I think it might be hard given the nature of the work.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!