Lockheed Martin Reviews

3.6

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

All about business and getting it done... nevermind the employee.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Broad availability of technology that are used on programs. Ability to move around between different programs and even LM Companies.

Cons

The promotion and salary band is not readily apparent to be tied to performance; Sr Management "claim" it is, but general feeling is that it is all subjective at end of day.

Reevaluate salary banding and promotion criteria. Its too stringent and rubber stamp at this time.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

You are able to put in 40 hours a week and be fairly paid (a little under paid). The companies leadership development programs are a good entry level program. The program consist of Rotational Work Assignment:
    Academic/Functional Training
    Leadership Development Conferences
    Mentor Program
    Community Service Involvement
    Habitat for Humanity, Junior Achievement, Bike-a-thon, Heart Walk, Space Day

The graduation requirements consist of:
    Complete four 9-month rotations and accept an off-program position
    Successfully complete Technical Development Curriculum (TDC) I, II, and III
    Participate in three Leadership Development Conferences (LDC)
    Complete an accredited technical Master’s degree

Overall for the most part managers care about employees.

Cons

LM is not a place for rapid career growth. They don't encourage you to take on positions that you don't have much experience in doing.

The culture is to concerned about years of experience rather then a persons apptitude to do quality work and demonstrate good work habits.

Most managers don't play a active role in professional development. They will let you to continue to do the same thing year after year without encouraging you to learn something new.

It is all about who you know and how much your management team wants you to get promoted not about the work you do.

Provide more opportunities for professional development. Make first line managers play a more significant role in professional and people development.

If you can find an interesting project in a small team I think you will do well. If not bail.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

There are quite a few interesting Jobs @ Lockheed Martin if your lucky enough to stumble up one.

Cons

There is a tendancy for people to be piggion holed into one job if they are good at it. In some large programs there is no vision or leadership.A lot of times schedules are made up by some one high and no input or concidereation is made to reality.. and as such the team becomes demoralized... On top of that some of the processes instituted are such a big waste of tax payers money...I understand peer review are important but its a real waste of time to rev a document to REV G just because non technical people don't understand a technical document. I'm sorry you cannot have a highly technical document dumbed down so that a high school drop out can understand. thats not what the intent of the document is.. Its for a technical person to understand a technical document. Why waste all this time and money to rev a document so that Joe the plummer can understand it? Its because its cost plus program and we have a bunch of Joe plummbers inspecting the document.

Please start leading and stop shifting blame down to us... Give us the tools to do our job. Not all tools work for all divisions IE a software procurement system does not work for hardware systems house. You don't use a hammer to write code do you?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work, decent pay, large bureaucracy, frustrating process.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Interesting work, decent wages and benefits

Cons

Hung up on diversity and affirmative action.

Wake up. You can't just be a professional manager with no technical ability in a high tech business. I've seen too many times where a non-technical manager can't get their arms around the problems because they rely on others to do it for them. You have to know what is realistic and what is a load of bunk.

Good for internship or entry-level.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Altadena, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Altadena, CA

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

First, it will look good on your resume when applying for another job. Little that they know, Lockheed Martin is not as good as it is on paper.

Cons

The location where I was at is a glass ceiling. I believe that there is too many managers. Most of the actual workers find themselves asking each other "what's that manager's job again?!" There is a deputy to a deputy for a deputy.

I started as a non-degree holder for a position. The pay was "better than nothing." But after getting my higher education, there's just no place to move up into. Three other employees who have graduated from MBA program left as well. All MBA has been paid for by Lockheed Martin. After six months of graduating, they all left. LM changed the policy to 1-year, so I stayed for a year and left as well.

Months after I left, there were layoffs. That's one of the reason why I left, too. I knew that there would be layoffs. As much as I love my manager and the people I worked with, I had to go.

There's too many managers to a sub 100 employees in our location. Luckily, one of them got laid off as well. Good, no one knew what she does anyway, just a typical legacy employee wondering around the organization.

Ultimately, kindly share profit as well. Or, cover our health care cost! I was paying $5,000/annually for Employee+1 medical, dental, and vision plan.

Not very detailed.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Provides and oppertunity to get some entry level experience.

Cons

Managment sucks and fthey are focused more on short term goals than long term goals.

Focus more on long term goals instead of digging yourself into a hole to meet short term goals.

Great to start out, not a good place to stay.

Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer  in  Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Systems Engineer in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good place to start your career - great opportunities are available to junior employees if you seek them out and perform well. It also provides an excellent opportunity to network due to the ability to move from program to program. Opportunities are fairly endless since its such a large company.

Cons

Work life balance is horrid. Getting a good performance rating is directly tied to the amount of uncompensated OT you work and on many projects, you're expected to work over and above your 40 hours. Not that I mind doing that, but when it becomes the norm rather than the occasional exception its not good for your life outside of work. training budgets are always slashed 3 months into the year.

Correct the awful performance management system, make training more accessible to the employees and make it available to the right employees. There is no reason that senior management should be in technical certification courses.

Lockheed Martin: A great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer Asc  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer Asc in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The company has a wealth of information and experience that form an excellent foundation with which to start a career. The knowledge that can be gained in working with some of the older, experienced engineers really is priceless.

Lockeheed's benefits package is extremely good. New hires (at least within Aeronautics) are receiving three weeks vacation per year. Aeronautics is also on a flex time, 9/80 work schedule. Employees on the 9/80 schedule work 9 hours per day and have every other Friday off. Flex time must be worked out with your individual supervisor, however core hours (which everyone must work) are from 9 am to 3 pm. The hours each employees works outside the core hours is largely up to them as long as 40 hours are worked per week.

Cons

Lockheed is an extremely large company and as a result, building a name for yourself and getting noticed within the company can be more difficult than at smaller companies. That is not to say that you are not rewarded for your work, but that a little extra effort is needed.

Create a structured system of passing knowledge from the older experienced engineers to the younger new hires. As the older generation retires a great deal of valuable knowledge and experience will be lost unless an effort is made to pass this knowledge and experience along. Encouraging the retirement of the older generation in favor of the younger, and less expensive generations, looks good on financial balance sheets but will hurt the company in the long term.

Lockheed Martin is a great place to work if you understand that you are working for a very large defense company.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin has provided me with countless oppurtunities to advance myself and my job experience. There are many employee perks including reimbursement for gym membership, education, and commuting, great employee discounts at a variety of stores, museums, and dealerships, and a solid 401k matching for the retirement plans.

Cons

The commuication between the management and the engineers is lacking. I have experienced many problems that have been exclusively due to poor communication. I suppose that this is a systemic problem in many companies of Lockheeds size, but there have been few attempts to remedy this problem.

Focus your attention on communicating to your employees. Once the employees are privy to upper mangements strategic vision, the employees will have a much better chance of understanding the importance of all the processes, standards, and certifications that the company is striving to accomplish. Employees want to know how they fit into the large picture at Lockheed.

A top notch defense contractor that takes care of its employees

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Asc  in  Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Asc in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

LM is a great company to get your bearings. If you are looking to do system level work, this is the place for you. I felt very secure in my job and that I was contributing significantly to projects within 6 months of my start date.

Cons

The age gap between senior and junior engineers is often staggering. I think both parties have a hard time relating and this results in a lower amount of mentoring.

Implement profit sharing. Modify ratings system to accommodate employees who have been there half a year or less.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!