Lockheed Martin

3.5
2,518 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Environmental Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Environmental Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Depending on your department, the company does have a laid back work environment.

Cons

Opportunity for growth is scarce

old school environment

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

paycheck, will pay for school, 2 weeks off every year at christmas

Cons

too PC, raises are not good, promotions are very rare, leadership is out of touch, mindset is still in the 80's in terms of work product, promotions typical go to minorities and not those truly qualified, aging workforce, very little leadership direction, benefits are not very good as insurance company doesn't approve a majority of claims so you spend a LOT out of pocket - beyond your normal deductible.

the people you continue to promote are not qualified to do the work and cannot adequately lead. "no person can see beyond a decision they don't understand".

Great experience. Could be better.

Current Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to get your hands dirty with cool work. Plenty of neat projects to work on since there are so many different funded projects. Great partnership with colleges/universities.

Cons

Personally, as a software developer, I prefer a more laid back environment and this just isn't where you'll find it. You hit the ground running on projects, have to maintain a dress code, and have plenty of protocol to follow. It's a con, but that's for you to decide how big of a con that is. Also, they unfortunately use a HORRIBLE review system. You're performance isn't ranked objectively, it's only in relation to the others around you - there will always be a top performer and a low performer, no matter how great everyone is doing. See too many people get hurt by this system.

Please remove the terrible review system.

They believe college grads can do the jobs, don't want to pay for experience

Former Employee - Product Support in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Product Support in Orlando, FL

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very little here, they openly discriminate concerning age, they will deny it but it's there.

Cons

Unless your a favorite forget promotions or anything bigger than 2% raises. They only do that to stay out of court. Upper management really has it's collective head in the sand. Such a shame, could be a great company. They will do anything for the stock holders, but the employees don't count in there opinion.

Wake up and remove at least 2 layers of management, it's wasteful and they are budget sponges

The cons outweighed the pros.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, flex hours, great work location

Cons

The workload was heavy and the work days were long. There was no formal training so I was forced to learn on the job. My manager was always on travel and was difficult to reach. Coworkers were dog eat dog and difficult to work with.

Offer training to new employees that can benefit both employees and the company. Work with employees to provide certifications that are required by the client (example: PMP).

Constant Change

Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with a lot of great people. Have flexible schedules and some ability to work remote although they are currently ending all that. Ability to learn a lot if you take advantage of the classes offered online and many of the other training tools.

Cons

Reorgs are constantly going on- just about every year for the 6 years I have been there so far- must be very adaptable to change and new bosses. Every year they are taking away more and more of the benefits and employee activities- not really much left. Very very difficult to get promoted there even if you get excellent reviews every year you still won't get promoted for years - it's a slow process and the managers try to avoid promoting at all costs.

Trust your people to do their jobs and promote those who work hard and do a good job- people will respond better when they are shown some appreciation rather than nothing at all

Previous Glassdoor reviews for this position were correct

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with really nice people.

Cons

Not as much engineering as secretarial type office work.

Post a more accurate description of the job function.

There have been better times

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good learning experiences, worthwhile missions, worked with really good teams

Cons

Difficult to get promoted in your current job, leadership is not transparent/ trustworthy, corporate culture has gone south.

Great Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, ability to work remotely is a plus, training opportunities year round. Meaningful projects and intelligent and professional team members.

Cons

Although necessary for the type of work, security can be difficult to deal with at times. But that could be said for all companies that work on high profile projects.

Great benefits and career opportunities

Former Employee - Technical Trainer Senior in Fort Eustis, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer Senior in Fort Eustis, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company has great benefits. My supervisor was very supportive with assisting me with my customer. I worked for Lock heed Martin as a contractor so I went through alot of corporate training which was very imformative and beneficial. They have a great corporate culture and promote from within. Most of the top executives have been long term employees.

Cons

Being in a contract position my position was always in jeopardy of being eliminated which happened in my case. They have an inhouse referral program, however most project managers do not crosstalk well and are not willing to hire employees from other projects.

Better cooperation between project managers. Lockheed Martin continues to diversify it's business segments within the contracting arena to remain one of the largest defense contractors gobally.