Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance(in 199 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer(in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management(in 68 reviews)

280 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brand company, poor management

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsBrand company
    Good work / life balance

ConsManagers are cycled in and out leaving few promotion opportunities
    Poor management
    Nepotism

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Customer focused technical solutions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLocations all over the world
    Contracts with practically every government agency
    Strong demand for engineers

ConsMediocre benefits
    Limited job growth
    Horrible performance review process
    Minimal raises if you're lucky

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should make employee benefits consistent across the company rather than based on customer contracts.
    Having to spend hours managing a labyrinthine performance review system only to get less than a 2% raise (if you're lucky) is a poor use of an employee's time.
    You only value us as long as the contract is good. And we know it.

No loyality from the company

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsStarting pay was great thought is was a good company but after 13years it turned bad. Worse management

ConsThen after 13years working for the company they wanted to lower salaries lower than started 13 years ago. No Loyality. Managment only looks out for managers....Poor management that get rewarded for doing a bad job.

Advice to Senior ManagementA Company is only as good as its employees and when you screw your employees there goes the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic intern experience

Software Development Intern (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

Pros-Fantastic work environment: the people worked hard but had a lot of fun.
    -My team was always accessible, and made an effort to have me work on projects that actually matter.
    -I worked on a variety of projects, all useful, that were all fantastic learning experiences.

Cons-As a large company, there were sometimes some issues with bureaucratic paperwork taking forever to process: setting up the paperwork to work there was a pain.

Absolutely Wonderful

Medical Logistics Technician (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat staff, Good Supervisors,Im so sorry it had to close.

ConsIt was just to far. I live in Woodbridge VA and it was located in the far North west area

Large company with plenty of opportunities.

Computer Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPlenty of opportunities if you have the right skills. It's government contract work so it's centered in the Washington DC area but they have operations all over the world too.

ConsPerformance evaluations and promotion planning can be based on arbitrary and subjective criteria. Forced rankings often make a supervisor give someone a lower rating than they deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to evaluating an individual solely on his/her own performance to reward and retain talent.

Great organization with good processes and excellent work culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood leadership, great benefits, exposure to best workers. Emphasis on ethical workplace, diversity, and harassment-free office environment.

ConsAnnual review based on a curve, which hurts hardworking exployees. Yearly raises are not competitive. Working from home is really not an option for most employees. There are instances where leadership keep other managers in place even though they are not successful or competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees get new jobs if contracts are ending.

done wrong

JSF (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsAviation its a passion and a place to work on something bigger then oneself . JSF F-35 program, wonderful aircraft but management will ruin it just watch..

ConsManagement , Management Management management. I cant explain in words the disappointment and god ol airforce i got ya , ill push you through your AF.. most don't know how to handle stress or anything about couth. Aholes

Advice to Senior ManagementJump off a tall building

In a company so large and diverse it is very easy to just be a number

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLM offers competitive pay and wide exposure to diverse industries. The company aggressively pursues new contract opportunities where ever possible, leaving a mostly healthy job market within the company. If you are favorably viewed with a solid skillset, you can easily stay within LM for your entire career. Promotions and salary increases seem competitive. 401k contribution is decent, but has very limited investment options.

ConsThe automated performance management system is a joke and not taken seriously by managers. The company is profit motivated and will quickly replace high pay well-performing employees with underperforming cheaper ones. Profit structure demands that contracts become more profitable over time and most of the time the only way this is possible is by reducing labor costs (humans). Managers are given wide leeway to block employee advancement within the company. Middle managers are of particularly poor quality within LM, often have very poor people skills, do not care about employee engagement or retention and get shuffled from contract to contract as needed. Benefits are overpriced and not competitive compared to other companies in similar industries. If you work at a customer site, you can feel very distanced from the corporation due to a lack of exposure and engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour managers are generally very poor quality and have limited skills in terms of dealing with people. Once a year when "LM Commit" time rolls around, we are told to cut and paste text from an email into the performance management tool and are discouraged from adding anything ourselves. This turns performance management into a yearly chore of checking boxes while adding absolutely zero value for your employees.

Your motto is "Do what's right" but your managers sometimes don't. After interviewing for a promotion at the corporate office, I was told "off the record" by another manager that I was "blocked" by the manager on my current contract. I was never given an offer, however my application status for this position was mysteriously changed to indicate that I declined the offer and accepted another position within the company.

I do not have faith in the honesty of the company as a whole when things like this are allowed to happen behind the scenes.

You want to call your managers "Leaders" but they rarely possess the key qualities of leadership. I would suggest that you try looking internally for leader candidates among your existing employees based on core leadership competencies rather than education and experience. You have people in your ranks that have inherent capabilities of intuition, compassion, insight, responsibility and helpfulness. These are qualities that cannot be effectively taught, so leverage them to your advantage. Find the people that inspire and motivate their coworkers and challenge them, give them the tools to be leaders.

When you attempt to turn some ranking engineer into a manager based solely on pay, experience or education level, you will rarely get something that resembles a leader and the employees under them can sometimes suffer from the shortfalls.

Not too bad

Procurement (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDecent benefits and salaries great training. Some good managers.

ConsHigh employee turnover, listen to other team members as they may have ideas too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPass the knowledge to others that they may have a chance someday.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!