Lockheed Martin

3.4
2,303 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

294 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They care about the employees

Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst Senior  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst Senior in Bethesda, MD

Pros

they offered a lot of training to staff

Cons

didn't promote from within enough

you're going to lose your young talent if you don't promote from within

Best experience. A really great company.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Intern in Bethesda, MD

Pros

The benefits are awesome and the people are really friendly. The company definitely cares about its employees. A lot of growth potential too.

Cons

Communication could use some work amongst teams here and there, but for the most part it's good.

Keep it up!

Great Company to Grow Skills

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

Pros

I've been in the industry for a long time and lost my cutting edge skills. When I went to Lockheed, they gave me a chance to grow new ones. System Engineering is now a skill this old coder feels confident in.
    The company does really cool stuff.
    The developers they hire are top notch.

Cons

Too much of a Bid to Win mentality, which puts some employees in the mode of mandatory 60 to 70 hour weeks. Also, puts mid level people in uncomfortable situations explaining why they are behind on unrealistic schedules. Note that this is not everywhere.

Work hard to retain your young developers. Management does not do enough to lock them into Lockheed. Pay them like the rock stars they are.
    Drop the Bid to Win mentality that is pervasive through upper management. It hurts everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

30 yr continuous employment with LM has been a good overall experience. Tough the last several yrs with cuts.

Current Employee - IT Program Manager  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Rockville, MD

Pros

Good senior management thinking long-term growth and over financial performance of the company. Benefits are not as good as they once where as the company reduces costs.

Cons

Outlook and opportunities for long-term employees are there but very limited as there is a move to promote and over challenging opportunities to younger employees.

Don't disrespect your long-term employees. Provide more opportunity to make them feel keep their knowledge and experience with the company.

Experience varies greatly depending on your location and role

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

Large company advantages, name recognition, comprehensive healthcare plan, lots of employee resources, positions all over the world.

Cons

lots of bureaucracy, lower than average salary and benefits, cares more about a profit than employees, large percentage of employees are unsatisfied but complaints are not addressed. Not run very smoothly. Typical big company issues- feels like a bunch of small companies operating under one umbrella. No unity due to massive size and drastically different operations within each business area. Some business areas are run smoothly with happy employees and others are completely miserable to work for. Lots of nepotism and most people that move up in the company or are brought on board are there because they know someone who works there.

Listen to your employees complaints and take them to heart. It is not all about a profit (well it is but if you can improve the morale of your employees, productivity will increase and so will your end profit). When people leave you need to replace them instead of constantly dumping their responsibilities onto the remaining employees who are already overloaded. You cannot expect to attract the best talent when you offer below average benefits and compensation- this is completely unrealistic. The current atmosphere is utterly archaic compared to new startups and other large tech firms- if you want to keep up with the times you cannot continue to be the highly respected but out of touch with the times "Grandpa" of the defense world.

Stay away from the East coast and beware of misleading benefits.

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Interesting R&D challenges, but beware of funding being removed half way into projects. Large peaks and valleys are rewarded instead of continuous improvement.

Cons

Logical and metrics based reviews are replaced by off-the-cuff gut feelings. Prepare to be punished for innovative thought. Educational support stops at Masters. Get as many as possible.

Stop making decisions based solely upon financially biased data.

Opportunity here for those who comply.

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA

Pros

I worked at LM as a sub for almost a year, and things were quite organized. The history of the company gives employees a tried-and-true system. People don't have to reinvent the wheel to find solutions.

One of my managers was EXCELLENT and I admired his work ethic and that he cared so much about the projects, doing the right thing for the customer, and keeping things in line for project delivery. One of my teams was a lot of fun and creative--we produced learning solutions that were seen as unprecedented by the customer.

I made a lot of great friends and we had a lot of fun team-building experiences that we organized without leadership (baseball games, lunches, and happy hours, among other social events).

Cons

Some managers at my office made life miserable for some employees. One of my managers communicated everything solely by IM, even though she was a 10-second walk from my desk. Many managers were great employees who were appointed mgmt positions...and should not be in leadership roles.

In my office I regularly saw favoritism and nepotism, experienced/was aware of backbiting, and knew about inappropriate (sexual) relationships between employees and /or admin. Many were paranoid about getting thrown under the bus.

Some contractors were "let go" due to "personality conflicts." That meant that the rest of us were pulled into a conference room while a supervisor explained that "It just didn't work out with Contractor Joe. But don't worry! You're all doing a great job!" That was the only time one of my managers gave us positive feedback... when someone got fired. Due to this, office morale became quite low.

For employees, burnout rate was high. If you did a good job, they piled on the work. It is until 10 years with this company that you get two weeks of paid vacation per year. At 10 years, you get three weeks per year. IMHO, this is no way to live. When another company came along with a great offer, I jumped.

Listen to your workers. Just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean that they are being done the right way today. "Think outside the box" means applying unorthodox ideas. Allow employees the freedom to do that. Give structured feedback and encouragement--it was lacking in my office. Consider the turnover rate at your office and, if it's high (my office was 25-30%), put out a survey about what can be done to improve conditions. Take some management and leadership classes if you are aware that you're not a natural leader. Don't let the customer walk all over the team...go to bat for them.

Lots of opportunity to learn all aspects of the business

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Herndon, VA

Pros

Great place for entry and mid level resources. There are flexible work schedules, and the ability to work remotely, the program allows it. Great mentors, and experienced employees that are always willing to provide advise and motivation.

Cons

Work is feast or famine, meaning work can be extremely slow at times, but when the work is there it seems that you have to work around the clock to get is all done.

Government Intelligence Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

I enjoyed working 4 (10-hour) days

Cons

As a Government Contractor, I really enjoyed the people I worked worked. However, LMCO was extremely submissive to the Federal Government and I assume that since LMCO was the prime, they didn't want to "rock the boat" when it came to Government Mandated downsizing.
    Save ALL YOUR LEAVE; because when OPM closes Government Offices you will be REQUIRED to use your "leave" if you want to get paid!! I have a BIG PROBLEM with that; especially, if you are a Salaried Employee.............its not your fault it snowed!

LM is a good company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Lockheed is a good company with a lot of jobs. The people I have worked with have all been professional and competent.

Cons

Upward momentum was difficult after a few years there I had to switch jobs to get my market rate.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!