Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

275 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsLarge Defense Contractor with many job opportunities.

ConsRed tape and very competitive for upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement tends to think less of engineers who do most of the work.

Not bad.

College Student Tech Senior (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

ProsGet to telework from home four days a week. Manager helps explain all the acronyms and settles down. Overall everyone was friendly.

ConsNot enough work to do at times. Work was not terribly challenging. Team feels somewhat disconnected. No holiday or sick leave accumulation as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns need more work to do!

Brief, but rewarding

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits, reasonable working hours. 9/80 schedule at some of the sites. Relocation assistance offered.

ConsNo hesitation to lay off employees, especially under current budget pressures. Very little flexibility to work outside of title.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to re-position employees rather than knee-jerk reaction of massive layoffs and plant closures.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Management

Lieutenant &E (Former Employee)
    Patuxent River, MD

Pros$ and Pax River, Great Place

ConsManagement, what a mess. Cant do anything except have meeting about nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave go back to the Airforce, This is LM not the USAF

OK, if you want a long an uneventful career with work-life balance

Arlington, VA

ProsLockheed is overall a good company. Since it is a huge organization, the good benefits (work from home, growth opportunities, etc.) really depend on your department and your supervisor. This could really be luck of the draw. Overall, this organization is not high stress all the time, only during deadlines. The organization does a good job collecting to employee feedback as a whole.

Cons- Benefits Package are average for the industry. For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits.
    - Limited Growth opportunities. It's really a matter of luck.
    - Valid individual greivances are sometimes ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadeship is shortsighted. Just because I am an Asian does not mean I need an Asian mentor who has nothing to do with my area of interest! With so many international growth opportunities a person with significant international experiences were not even considered, while Americans who have barely set foot overseas are made leaders in the international divisions.

Cheap company; Management Fluff

Satellite Communications Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

Prosneat projects; worked on a number of neat projects for a great customer

ConsThe company won't even provide free coffee. Management offered no raises due to the bad economy yet were redoing the VPs office as the previous VPs office wasn't nice enough for him. If people on a project are under performing they will add resources therefore spending money and will cut others positions who weren't underperforming to pay for fixing the other underperforming part of the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people at every level actually matter to your bottom line.

It's a big company with a big company feel.

Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee)
    Crystal City, VA

ProsLots of job opportunities and chances for upward mobility. They're also very diversified and have locations all around the world.

ConsThe healthcare benefits are subpar compared to other companies. Employees typically shoulder 25% of the cost of their healthcare plans, which is a lot when compared to just over 10% at other leading competetors. However, if this is what is necessary in order to pay people better wages, I guess it's a fair trade.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Something to Remember

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsImpeccable Benefits, Networking opportunities, and Employee Stock Options

ConsMulti-Layer Management that was more concerned about securing a contract that the personnel supporting it. It could have been contract specific, but since this is my only experience with them, its all I can say. Possibly better for a seasoned employee, but they look to please the customer more than the employee offering services.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen Door Policy with staff, Harnessing more Company Culture with larger contracts( office parties, awards, etc)

Not Bad

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsNot a bad place to work. Decent pay. Ok benefits (not great). Culture is bureaucratic. Good place to start a career.

ConsLower pay and benefits in services business. Training and development opportunities have become more limited with recent budget cuts and and cost savings initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementLockheed Martin spends millions each quarter to fund pension obligations. Newer employees don't get the pension and should instead receive profit sharing or some other benefit. Otherwise, they are just subsidizing the pension for employees and retirees who have the pension.

Hardware Engineering

Senior Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)
    Manassas, VA

ProsGood pay, good benefits, not too hard to move around if you can find a sponsor.

ConsPoor executive leadership. Poor program management. hard to move around.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what people do that work for you. Let them know you value them. They are not widgets, they are people.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Lockheed Martin Videos

Lockheed Martin – Why Work for Us?

From our history to our international footprint, there are certain things you want to know about us as it pertains to your career. Many CAREER AREAS To Choose From Discover where your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All 275 reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.