Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 201 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules for many a real plus (alternate Fridays off) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the program your work life balance can suffer (in 46 reviews)

• This is a large company with all the usual shortfalls of management (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights
281 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

30 yr continuous employment with LM has been a good overall experience. Tough the last several yrs with cuts.

IT Program Manager (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGood senior management thinking long-term growth and over financial performance of the company. Benefits are not as good as they once where as the company reduces costs.

ConsOutlook and opportunities for long-term employees are there but very limited as there is a move to promote and over challenging opportunities to younger employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't disrespect your long-term employees. Provide more opportunity to make them feel keep their knowledge and experience with the company.

LM is a good company.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLockheed is a good company with a lot of jobs. The people I have worked with have all been professional and competent.

ConsUpward momentum was difficult after a few years there I had to switch jobs to get my market rate.

Government Intelligence Analyst

Senior Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsI enjoyed working 4 (10-hour) days

ConsAs a Government Contractor, I really enjoyed the people I worked worked. However, LMCO was extremely submissive to the Federal Government and I assume that since LMCO was the prime, they didn't want to "rock the boat" when it came to Government Mandated downsizing.
    Save ALL YOUR LEAVE; because when OPM closes Government Offices you will be REQUIRED to use your "leave" if you want to get paid!! I have a BIG PROBLEM with that; especially, if you are a Salaried Employee.............its not your fault it snowed!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job if you are okay with corporate

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood job security and fair compensation compared to competition.

ConsVery corporate. I did not feel important to the company at large, and never came in contact with top execs. There is ~8 levels of separation from the lowest employee to the top.

Fun while it lasted

SharePoint Instructor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood working conditions, They had a great coffee maker

ConsNever knew when a contact would extend or end

It's a big company with a big company feel.

Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) Crystal City, VA

ProsLots of job opportunities and chances for upward mobility. They're also very diversified and have locations all around the world.

ConsThe healthcare benefits are subpar compared to other companies. Employees typically shoulder 25% of the cost of their healthcare plans, which is a lot when compared to just over 10% at other leading competetors. However, if this is what is necessary in order to pay people better wages, I guess it's a fair trade.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsLarge Defense Contractor with many job opportunities.

ConsRed tape and very competitive for upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement tends to think less of engineers who do most of the work.

Not bad.

College Student Tech Senior (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsGet to telework from home four days a week. Manager helps explain all the acronyms and settles down. Overall everyone was friendly.

ConsNot enough work to do at times. Work was not terribly challenging. Team feels somewhat disconnected. No holiday or sick leave accumulation as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns need more work to do!

I cannot believe this company ... oh wait, yes I can.

N/A (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLockheed Martin apparently looks great on a resume?

ConsI'm not really sure how to express how completely disgusted I am with Lockheed. Complete and total disregard for company policy, cronyism, sabotage ... the list goes on, truly. I've met some really great people since starting here over 6yrs ago - they're all gone. This place is like a settling tank. I overheard my manager tell a prospective employee, "Most of our good employees are gone after 2-3yrs." ?! He had, at this point, been here for 5yrs himself.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Get rid of the cliques. Wear clean clothes. Learn how to form a complete sentence and support your staff. You preach Diversity, Inclusion, Do the Right Thing and Perform with Excellence... c'mon guys, it's not that hard. Be what you say you are.

Bad Management

Lieutenant &E (Former Employee) Patuxent River, MD

Pros$ and Pax River, Great Place

ConsManagement, what a mess. Cant do anything except have meeting about nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave go back to the Airforce, This is LM not the USAF

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!