Lockheed Martin Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
3.3
Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

1. My experience with Lockheed Martin was exciting because I was able to develop my skills over a 25 year period.

Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Manassas, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Working there will allow you to move into different and challenging positions. You can also work at different location around the world.

Cons

Some of the challenges in working on some programs is that the contract you are working on can come to a close at which time you have to move on to another program.

Management have to help employees find another assignment for the employee to work particularly when a contract is coming to an end.

2. Great place to work, but the Civil side is unsteady

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Telecommute, great hours (over-time is a rarity). There is always an effort to train.

Cons

Must be willing to live government contract to contract. Always have a resume ready. If you're not billable you're at risk; if there are budget issues, you're at risk.

3. It is a wonderful values based company

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The mission, people, challenges, opportunities, benefits

Cons

Depends greatly on the US Defense Budget

Keep doing all the wonderful things you are doing!

5. Good place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good benefits, salary, management leaves you to do your work.

Cons

Wholly dependent upon government contracts, funding is always an issue. Not much opportunity for advancement. upward or sideways. Technical training is available for developers, but otherwise, not. Director recently told team that we need to make our own investment in our training to show our commitment to Lockheed.

Good management, but some unethical game playing due to funding pressues

6. Meaningful work for new engineers.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to grow a dynamic career.

Cons

It's a large company, so new engineers don't always see the big picture.

7. A professional and ethical company. Good to have on a resume.

Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lockheed Martin is a great company to work for. They take care of their employees and tier customers. They are fair and pay reasonably well. They encourage hiring and promoting a diverse work force and encourages to all to participate. They work with leading edge technologies and have a great and well deserved reputation among it's customers. When my contract was ending, they offered my another position (although much farther then I wanted to commute) or a very nice severance pay. After leaving LM, they also offered a very good training program to find a new job. I would be glad to work for them again.

Cons

They are a big company and it is easy to get lost in cracks. A bit top heavy....lot of VPs and Managers. I would like to see more spent on training to keep employees up on the latest software and hardware. Sometime too much time is spent on compliance training and performance reporting, but I think the process is being looked at and streamlined and this is only a minor issue. The expect you to work 60+ works a week, but they allow work at home when appropriate.

Don't let your employees fall between the cracks. Encourage them to look forward and be clear with them about opportunities and cuts. Try to ensure that the Functional Managers really know what the employee is doing on a daily basis. For the most part, follow LM policies and you should do well.

8. Team Leader for a Java Software Development Team

Former Employee - Business Applications Programmer Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Business Applications Programmer Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our project experienced an extended period of stability. Worked with an excellent group of co-workers, other employees I worked with outside my immediate project were highly skilled and professional. Generally worked a standard 40-hour week, no unreasonable demands for overtime hours. Decent health plan if you took advantage of all the healty-choice incentives. It seemed like some of the recent management changes might result in greater responsiveness to the employees.

Cons

Typical problems with large contractors - most of us felt disconnected from the company, weak communications on many levels, compensation tied more to the profitability of the assigned contract rather than responsibilities and performance, easier to lay off employess at the end of a contract than place them elsewhere in the company. Some of the policies (how overtime compensation works, layoff notices accompanied with assurances that no one will be laid off) left us mostly confused.

I had twelve years with some highs and lows, but I feel it was better than many companies their size.

Former Employee - Technical Operations Manager in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Operations Manager in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge company, jobs everywhere if you looked, would reward people to stay

Cons

HR was pretty poor (missed sending a letter for life insurance), there was no work/home balance. I had a 98 hour work week once with no overtime or bonus.

Respect your employees more. Never hound them to respond to email 24 hours a day. Remember, they are what make you look good or bad.

10. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Solid Company to work for.

Cons

It has limiting personal growth.

Provide more avenues to personal grow.

11. Great company but bad local decisions at times

Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Large company with vast resources
    - Good benefits
    - Lots of job opportunities

Cons

- On two occasions they brought in a "rainmaker" who proceeded to run the (very large) program into the ground and we lost the re-compete(s). Also, people who were formerly highly rated suddenly became rated low. I left the program I was on the first time it happened, and the company itself the second time. The first time I got out ahead of any negative impacts. The second time I tried gutting it out and went from having the highest or second highest rating for 11 straight years to the lowest possible rating before I finally left.

Think more carefully before making big personnel changes. Sometimes the status quo is good and is what the customer wants.