Lockheed Martin Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
3.3
Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

1. Avoid if you can, going downhill fast!

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Discounts on outside companies (but not any better than what is at any other large company)
    -Allow for telecommute

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees at all. treat you like a cog in a machine that can be replaced easily.
    - Benefits are horrible and defined pension plan is gone and good luck figuring how to do better with 401k.
    - Health insurance is bad and getting worse.
    - No advancement at all. Stuck pretty much where you join. Also pay raises are bad. Give everyone coming in the door a raise but screw over all current employees (treating you like cookie cutter).
    - Don't listen to anything you say unless it is what they want to hear. They will treat you bad to make numbers or work you into the ground so they fail then justify to hire more people after the fail and they have burned you out.
    - Have you work the extra hours (as salary) and then if you don't use in that week you lose the chance to take some of the extra hours banked off later. (Work life balance is not here)
    - Training is non-existent. Fight tooth and nail every year to get any. Even in the cyber security world where you need for professional certs good luck in getting unless you are a buddy.
    - Evals are large company usual 10% outstanding and 80% normal and 10% dirt bag. Every year no matter what. Waste a lot of time for almost no raise and writing up just bunk to not get the bottom 10% (they already know who the favorite is and going to be in top 10%)
    - They only do enough (in cyber security) not to get into trouble. Unless you are the chosen few no chance to actually do anything interesting. Just going thru the motions to make it look good. Never listen to what anyone tells them things are not right. Just wear you down to where you stop saying anything to them about how bad things are.
    - Overall they just don't care about employees and they don't like being told what they are doing wrong. management is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus in seconds. Any good managers leave as soon as they see how things are going. Employees always feel under the gun that the boss will ride you because they don't like you or won't go with what they want. Company has been going down hill for sometime and seems to be picking up speed. Glad to leave and happy with new company.

Advice to Management

Actually do an exit interview and see why you are losing so many employees. Start to care about your employees as the older people are retiring and no one is going to stay around long the way things are going.
    Realize you actually have to pay market wages and benefits. Thanks for cutting defined pension plan, makes it easier to leave the company.

2. Exceptional candidate turned away due to hiring manager's personal reasons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good company in terms of brand recognition.

Cons

Unfair in its hiring practice - the perceived culture of fairness and non-discriminatory behavior does not extend to the company's hiring practices. Although you may have the ideal skills and qualifications to do the job, if the hiring manager simply doesn't like you because you're not the right ethnicity or he feels threatened by your accomplishments, you will not be hired.

Advice to Management

It is illegal for hiring managers to ask candidates personal questions. And utterly wrong for them to use it against candidates when they evade the questions. An interview is not supposed to feel like an interrogation.

Turn your career in to a Job!

Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time, and Vacation time

Cons

Work culture is hostile, retaliation and nepotism run rampant. Job Reqs are frequently opened for, "groomed" candidates i.e. it's a forgone conclusion who will be receiving the promotion. The workforce is flat, there are very many low levels, and very few opportunities to further your career through hard work. The culture is the literal stereotype of who you know, no what you know.

Advice to Management

Stop the silliness of forcing employees to interview for the next promotion to a different area where they may not even be the best qualified candidate and know very little about there new higher position. Promote from within the group. All your doing is fostering resentment of a new higher paid person coming in who beyond there ability to interview well, likely know far less about the area than the workforce you overlooked. I can't recommend anyone I care about work here long term... you've turned it in to a paycheck and taken away the pride of having a career... I literally have a manager telling me that you have no loyalty to us, therefore where is ours in return to you? The bare minimum to keep our employment, you are not fostering any more than that. That's it, that's the word on the street. You can either listen, or argue with beautiful PR words. But at the end of the day, I and many others feel the way I described and we are where the rubber meets the road... not HR.

I cannot believe this company ... oh wait, yes I can.

Current Employee - N/A in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - N/A in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lockheed Martin apparently looks great on a resume?

Cons

I'm not really sure how to express how completely disgusted I am with Lockheed. Complete and total disregard for company policy, cronyism, sabotage ... the list goes on, truly. I've met some really great people since starting here over 6yrs ago - they're all gone. This place is like a settling tank. I overheard my manager tell a prospective employee, "Most of our good employees are gone after 2-3yrs." ?! He had, at this point, been here for 5yrs himself.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Get rid of the cliques. Wear clean clothes. Learn how to form a complete sentence and support your staff. You preach Diversity, Inclusion, Do the Right Thing and Perform with Excellence... c'mon guys, it's not that hard. Be what you say you are.

Senior VOIP Field Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Voice VOIP Field Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Voice VOIP Field Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are one of the biggest contractors in the Government why many positions to offer at competitive pay rates.

Cons

Very confusing business practices that create communication issue between coworkers and management. Very poor health insurance and vacation benefits and very minimal incentive bonuses and raises.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and delegating all your work load and just hire more workforce with less management and assistant managers. Lockmatin concentrates to much at the management level instead of the true workforce doing the work that way downsizing because wages wont be needed.

done wrong

Former Employee - JSF in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - JSF in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aviation its a passion and a place to work on something bigger then oneself . JSF F-35 program, wonderful aircraft but management will ruin it just watch..

Cons

Management , Management Management management. I cant explain in words the disappointment and god ol airforce i got ya , ill push you through your AF.. most don't know how to handle stress or anything about couth. Aholes

Advice to Management

Jump off a tall building

The HRAccess Program? Stay away!

Current Employee - Tier II Help Desk in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Tier II Help Desk in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and it's close to the Metro

Cons

Pretty much everything! This contract services TSA, Lockheed under-bid the contract in the beginning, so don't expect great pay or any type of raises. Management is just trying to keep their heads above water on this contract. So, there are absolutely no perks and expect to be asked to make a financial "contribution" when it comes time for the company picnic and holiday party. It's very sad the way employees are treated on this contract. I can promise you, if you come to work here, you'll regret it.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect, pay them more, I could go on and on!

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee Sometimes free lunch

Cons

everything else they dont know anything I was on the pepco energy program supervisors were not smart employees are back stabbers its a high school environment if you didnt fit in you were disliked and talked about too much work for the one employee work changes all the time very petty

Advice to Management

Hire people and train them on their job don't give the supervisor that title if they dont do anything

This place could be a mess in 5-10 years

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart coworkers. Interesting work. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Pay is substantially below the average for software engineers. Management doesn't realize that we have other options than the stagnant defense industry. A number of great employees have left for higher pay and better benefits, leaving fewer people stretched thinner and thinner. Management's spreadsheet based approach to staffing projects doesn't recognize that you can't replace someone with 5-10 years of experience with a fresh college hire or someone new to software development. I have serious doubts about our future ability to meet our future requirements given the steady decline in the talent pool over the last few years.

Management only values "leadership" traits in evaluating employees. If you don't aspire to be a non-technical manager yourself, you have no chance of being evaluated as anything better than middle of the pack. That means you will get a paltry annual raise that doesn't even keep up with inflation, let alone industry salary growth. It also means that no matter how good you are, you can't be promoted without at least pretending to want to do management-type activities. If you aren't good at what management values, no amount of logic and reason will convince them that you are a good employee. The performance appraisal system is sufficiently vague and nebulous that any manager can give any employee any assessment and find an excuse to justify it.

Senior management is severely disconnected from reality. They once sent out, in one day, two emails, one of which congratulated everyone on record quarterly profits, the other of which announced a deep round of layoffs. Layoffs have been an annual occurrence for four years, drastically depressing morale.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what leading SOFTWARE companies are paying their software engineers. Your competition for us nerds isn't just Northrup Grumman and Boeing. It also includes companies like Microsoft, Google, and Facebook, all of which pay substantially more. The economy won't be horrible forever. When it improves there will be a mass exodus of people no longer afraid of losing the stability of a big old defense company like Lockheed Martin. Who will execute on your contracts when the only employees you have left are those coasting to retirement and those too young to realize they're getting a raw deal?

If you like to be challenged, this is not the place to be (new College grad)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Corporate experience
    - Learn how projects are managed
    - If you're the type of person that just cares about money and getting your workday out of the way as quickly as possible and going home, then you'll like it here, and won't mind the cons below.
    - Free access to Books24x7 and Safari books Online

Cons

I came to Lockheed directly from college with a degree in computer science. I've been with the company for about a year, and here is my experience:

1) For a great majority of my time here, I had absolutely nothing to do. That's right, I'm being paid to just sit in my office and "wait" for some someone to assign some work. There were a number of people just like me, just wandering around the halls, hanging out in the labs with nothing to do. To make matters worse, they would still hire more people into the program to fill vacant positions, which makes no sense.

2) When I did have work, it usually involved trivial things like updating documentation, updating some records in a database, etc. At first I thought this was just overhead for some bigger project that the team I was on was working on. As it turned out, my whole team's job was to simple manage some word documents and keep them updated, and do other vary trivial tasks. This was all, like a slap in the face to me coming from a computer science background and having actually solved real world problems. The worst part is that most of the people on my team carried the title of "Software Engineer". In fact, my manager's title was "Senior Software Engineering Mngr", but I doubt they knew anything about software (Other than using Microsoft Office).

3) There is subtle slogan around the company "Selling yesterday's technologies at tomorrow prices". That is so right, and accurately describes Lockheed (at least IS&GS).

4) Since I started, people have been leaving the company on a regular basis. Most of the new hires that I started with lasted a few months and then quit, mainly for the same reasons listed above.

5) The most useful skill that I was able to apply to my job in my time here was my Microsoft Office skills. If I knew that I would be doing this, I would not have gone to one of the best engineering schools in the country, I would have gone to Devry instead.

Advice to Management

We give you resumes for a reason, and expect for you the leverage our skills. Since I've been with the company, I've honestly felt that my IQ has dropped a little bit due to the lack of critical thinking that my job required. I've spent hours after work taking advantage of the free online books that Lockheed provided, studying new technologies, languages, and challenged myself outside of my "software engineering" job with side projects that actually requires a software engineering mindset, because Lockheed fails to do so.