Lockheed Martin

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson

Marillyn Hewson

261 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great way to start my career - company really believes in its engineers and supports them.

Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTons of leadership training, ability to transfer within the company, solid and clear path to promotion, especially at junior levels. Met some great managers and engineers. Strongly motivate leaders to mentor others and it is a team atmosphere, not competitive within. Definitely recommend, especially to young career folks or those who like the structure and stability of a large company. Plus the stock has been killing it lately in the market.

ConsFederal budgets are declining and therefore LM budgets too - they have been tightening belt and doing layoffs. Not a fast pace of change. Depends on what work you do and what you're interested in, but I never really liked the whole "blowing stuff up" part of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIS&GS policy on telecommuters paying for their own travel took this high-pot outside the company.

Long time between promotions

Post Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLockheed has been consistent in keeping me employed, although, the compensation is a bit low, and hard to increase.

ConsThe promotion rate is slow, their performance reviews are mostly for window dressing, and filling out the evaluations seems to fit neatly into their checked box type of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the managers relevant to their reports. Having a matrix style of management is quite useless, except for the checked box type of management used. Basically, it comes down to; Do you have a manager? Yes, check the box. Does the manager help in any way? No, check the box.

Great Experience for Newbies, not so great for Mid-Career Professionals

Senior Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of projects across the business areas; opportunities depend on your location. General flexibility and work-life balance depending on your project. Tuition reimbursement ( not for most certifications, limited to existing role and not for existing degree holders e.g. no 2nd Masters). Enough career options to change your mind and try new things and learn new skills.

ConsLack of the mid-career development program; this is changing but slowly. Very difficult to move across the 4 major business areas. Health benefits have declined and are very expensive. Poor communication of how re-organization changes affect employees. Very difficult to advance upward; promotion process and requirements unclear (on purpose) and highly depends on having a champion at the senior manager/director level.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure Full Spectrum Leadership is the true benchmark for successful leaders and not just corporate spin; provide support for job rotations across the business areas and a process for establishing clear career paths for experience professionals

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid development for junior staff, very political for senior staff, profit driven

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood training and opportunities to work on challenging projects for critical US needs

Consvery political in terms of which staff get opportunities for training and promotion

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company as long as the contract doesn't end.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery professional management and very structured company.

ConsWhen project ends, your on your own. Very little effort made to retain talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and do more to retain them when a contract ends.

Stress filled and unappreciated

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbove average pay and good benefits. Up to 2014 was a stable company to work for,

ConsOnce you are in your 50's it is all over for you. You will not be allowed to learn anything new,

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing off older employees. You will more years out of someone in their 50's then will you will get out of someone in their 20's. Younger people quit very easily.

Had its highs and lows. Difficult to be heard by Leadership.

Principal Quality Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge organization with a very large global foot print.

ConsThe size made it hard to be noticed and heard

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the organizational feedback & the LM21 results, and stop overriding data driven feedback or results.

A corporation in transition

Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLockheed Martin is strongly placed in the defense marketplace and has mostly weathered the budgetary changes well. The work is exciting and challenging. Opportunities to move within the corporation are there for those willing to do more legwork than a web search. Corporate negotiated discounts are available for employees on everything from cell phone service to vacations. Benefits are better than some, but worse than others. 401(k) match is nice to have.

ConsHuman resources is perhaps the primary reason for 9 out of 10 employees, that I have known, to leave the company. HR is given free reign over salaries and promotions and uses one measuring stick for a technical staff of around 50,000. It simply doesn't work. The processes and requirements are hidden and promotions are based on the feeling of HR rather than the experience provided to them by your direct supervisor.

Salaries are low; as is typical for the industry. Benefits are solid but have increased substantially every year for the last 5 either through increased premiums or increased deductibles and decreased coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat would happen if you spent more money on your employees? Would they produce more for you and your shareholders? What happens if you pay them the minimum HR thinks they can get away with? Will they want to stretch for you? This generation of employees is mobile and willing to change jobs for experiences, challenges and responsibility. If you don't show them they are valued, how many can you afford to lose as the rest of the technical population continues to age?

Lockheed Martin was a good company to work for but the management staff was terrible

Tech Support (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCoworkers were easy to get along with. Employees really grasped the concept of being a team and working to build up each other

ConsThere was an a lack of organization within the management staff. Employee witnessing disputes between lower and higher level management is never good for team moral

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being jealous of other management. Employees will always develop different relationships with your

done wrong

JSF (Former Employee)
Patuxent River, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAviation its a passion and a place to work on something bigger then oneself . JSF F-35 program, wonderful aircraft but management will ruin it just watch..

ConsManagement , Management Management management. I cant explain in words the disappointment and god ol airforce i got ya , ill push you through your AF.. most don't know how to handle stress or anything about couth. Aholes

Advice to Senior ManagementJump off a tall building

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Lockheed Martin Videos

Lockheed Martin – Why Work for Us?

From our history to our international footprint, there are certain things you want to know about us as it pertains to your career. Many CAREER AREAS To Choose From Discover where your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All 261 reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.