Lockheed Martin

Updated March 1, 2015
3.3

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

335 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It is a wonderful values based company

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The mission, people, challenges, opportunities, benefits

Cons

Depends greatly on the US Defense Budget

Keep doing all the wonderful things you are doing!

Good place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good benefits, salary, management leaves you to do your work.

Cons

Wholly dependent upon government contracts, funding is always an issue. Not much opportunity for advancement. upward or sideways. Technical training is available for developers, but otherwise, not. Director recently told team that we need to make our own investment in our training to show our commitment to Lockheed.

Good management, but some unethical game playing due to funding pressues

Team Leader for a Java Software Development Team

Former Employee - Business Applications Programmer Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Business Applications Programmer Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our project experienced an extended period of stability. Worked with an excellent group of co-workers, other employees I worked with outside my immediate project were highly skilled and professional. Generally worked a standard 40-hour week, no unreasonable demands for overtime hours. Decent health plan if you took advantage of all the healty-choice incentives. It seemed like some of the recent management changes might result in greater responsiveness to the employees.

Cons

Typical problems with large contractors - most of us felt disconnected from the company, weak communications on many levels, compensation tied more to the profitability of the assigned contract rather than responsibilities and performance, easier to lay off employess at the end of a contract than place them elsewhere in the company. Some of the policies (how overtime compensation works, layoff notices accompanied with assurances that no one will be laid off) left us mostly confused.

A professional and ethical company. Good to have on a resume.

Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lockheed Martin is a great company to work for. They take care of their employees and tier customers. They are fair and pay reasonably well. They encourage hiring and promoting a diverse work force and encourages to all to participate. They work with leading edge technologies and have a great and well deserved reputation among it's customers. When my contract was ending, they offered my another position (although much farther then I wanted to commute) or a very nice severance pay. After leaving LM, they also offered a very good training program to find a new job. I would be glad to work for them again.

Cons

They are a big company and it is easy to get lost in cracks. A bit top heavy....lot of VPs and Managers. I would like to see more spent on training to keep employees up on the latest software and hardware. Sometime too much time is spent on compliance training and performance reporting, but I think the process is being looked at and streamlined and this is only a minor issue. The expect you to work 60+ works a week, but they allow work at home when appropriate.

Don't let your employees fall between the cracks. Encourage them to look forward and be clear with them about opportunities and cuts. Try to ensure that the Functional Managers really know what the employee is doing on a daily basis. For the most part, follow LM policies and you should do well.

Great company but bad local decisions at times

Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Large company with vast resources
    - Good benefits
    - Lots of job opportunities

Cons

- On two occasions they brought in a "rainmaker" who proceeded to run the (very large) program into the ground and we lost the re-compete(s). Also, people who were formerly highly rated suddenly became rated low. I left the program I was on the first time it happened, and the company itself the second time. The first time I got out ahead of any negative impacts. The second time I tried gutting it out and went from having the highest or second highest rating for 11 straight years to the lowest possible rating before I finally left.

Think more carefully before making big personnel changes. Sometimes the status quo is good and is what the customer wants.

Avoid if you can, going downhill fast!

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Discounts on outside companies (but not any better than what is at any other large company)
    -Allow for telecommute

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees at all. treat you like a cog in a machine that can be replaced easily.
    - Benefits are horrible and defined pension plan is gone and good luck figuring how to do better with 401k.
    - Health insurance is bad and getting worse.
    - No advancement at all. Stuck pretty much where you join. Also pay raises are bad. Give everyone coming in the door a raise but screw over all current employees (treating you like cookie cutter).
    - Don't listen to anything you say unless it is what they want to hear. They will treat you bad to make numbers or work you into the ground so they fail then justify to hire more people after the fail and they have burned you out.
    - Have you work the extra hours (as salary) and then if you don't use in that week you lose the chance to take some of the extra hours banked off later. (Work life balance is not here)
    - Training is non-existent. Fight tooth and nail every year to get any. Even in the cyber security world where you need for professional certs good luck in getting unless you are a buddy.
    - Evals are large company usual 10% outstanding and 80% normal and 10% dirt bag. Every year no matter what. Waste a lot of time for almost no raise and writing up just bunk to not get the bottom 10% (they already know who the favorite is and going to be in top 10%)
    - They only do enough (in cyber security) not to get into trouble. Unless you are the chosen few no chance to actually do anything interesting. Just going thru the motions to make it look good. Never listen to what anyone tells them things are not right. Just wear you down to where you stop saying anything to them about how bad things are.
    - Overall they just don't care about employees and they don't like being told what they are doing wrong. management is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus in seconds. Any good managers leave as soon as they see how things are going. Employees always feel under the gun that the boss will ride you because they don't like you or won't go with what they want. Company has been going down hill for sometime and seems to be picking up speed. Glad to leave and happy with new company.

Actually do an exit interview and see why you are losing so many employees. Start to care about your employees as the older people are retiring and no one is going to stay around long the way things are going.
    Realize you actually have to pay market wages and benefits. Thanks for cutting defined pension plan, makes it easier to leave the company.

Exceptional candidate turned away due to hiring manager's personal reasons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good company in terms of brand recognition.

Cons

Unfair in its hiring practice - the perceived culture of fairness and non-discriminatory behavior does not extend to the company's hiring practices. Although you may have the ideal skills and qualifications to do the job, if the hiring manager simply doesn't like you because you're not the right ethnicity or he feels threatened by your accomplishments, you will not be hired.

It is illegal for hiring managers to ask candidates personal questions. And utterly wrong for them to use it against candidates when they evade the questions. An interview is not supposed to feel like an interrogation.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Multi Functional Financial Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Solid Company to work for.

Cons

It has limiting personal growth.

Provide more avenues to personal grow.

I had twelve years with some highs and lows, but I feel it was better than many companies their size.

Former Employee - Technical Operations Manager in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Operations Manager in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge company, jobs everywhere if you looked, would reward people to stay

Cons

HR was pretty poor (missed sending a letter for life insurance), there was no work/home balance. I had a 98 hour work week once with no overtime or bonus.

Respect your employees more. Never hound them to respond to email 24 hours a day. Remember, they are what make you look good or bad.

Company been in business for many years

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Stability, pay,401k package and they are a well known company.

Cons

Long hours no personal life

Maybe