Lockheed Martin Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
343 reviews filtered by
  • Washington, DC Area

1. Avoid if you can, going downhill fast!

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Discounts on outside companies (but not any better than what is at any other large company)
    -Allow for telecommute

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees at all. treat you like a cog in a machine that can be replaced easily.
    - Benefits are horrible and defined pension plan is gone and good luck figuring how to do better with 401k.
    - Health insurance is bad and getting worse.
    - No advancement at all. Stuck pretty much where you join. Also pay raises are bad. Give everyone coming in the door a raise but screw over all current employees (treating you like cookie cutter).
    - Don't listen to anything you say unless it is what they want to hear. They will treat you bad to make numbers or work you into the ground so they fail then justify to hire more people after the fail and they have burned you out.
    - Have you work the extra hours (as salary) and then if you don't use in that week you lose the chance to take some of the extra hours banked off later. (Work life balance is not here)
    - Training is non-existent. Fight tooth and nail every year to get any. Even in the cyber security world where you need for professional certs good luck in getting unless you are a buddy.
    - Evals are large company usual 10% outstanding and 80% normal and 10% dirt bag. Every year no matter what. Waste a lot of time for almost no raise and writing up just bunk to not get the bottom 10% (they already know who the favorite is and going to be in top 10%)
    - They only do enough (in cyber security) not to get into trouble. Unless you are the chosen few no chance to actually do anything interesting. Just going thru the motions to make it look good. Never listen to what anyone tells them things are not right. Just wear you down to where you stop saying anything to them about how bad things are.
    - Overall they just don't care about employees and they don't like being told what they are doing wrong. management is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus in seconds. Any good managers leave as soon as they see how things are going. Employees always feel under the gun that the boss will ride you because they don't like you or won't go with what they want. Company has been going down hill for sometime and seems to be picking up speed. Glad to leave and happy with new company.

Advice to Management

Actually do an exit interview and see why you are losing so many employees. Start to care about your employees as the older people are retiring and no one is going to stay around long the way things are going.
    Realize you actually have to pay market wages and benefits. Thanks for cutting defined pension plan, makes it easier to leave the company.

2. Exceptional candidate turned away due to hiring manager's personal reasons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good company in terms of brand recognition.

Cons

Unfair in its hiring practice - the perceived culture of fairness and non-discriminatory behavior does not extend to the company's hiring practices. Although you may have the ideal skills and qualifications to do the job, if the hiring manager simply doesn't like you because you're not the right ethnicity or he feels threatened by your accomplishments, you will not be hired.

Advice to Management

It is illegal for hiring managers to ask candidates personal questions. And utterly wrong for them to use it against candidates when they evade the questions. An interview is not supposed to feel like an interrogation.

3. Getting worse....

Current Employee - Mult Func Engineer & Sci Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Mult Func Engineer & Sci Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

They are the largest Defense contractor in the world.

Cons

LM recently cut sick days from 5 per year to 3. There have been numerous reorganizations recently and the support staff on the back end of IS&GS has dwindled to almost non existent. When you have an employee problem it shouldn't take a week or more for HR to respond to simple questions. As a PM for them it is very difficult to get any support unless your based in HQ.

5. good exposure to defense contractor environment, diverse technology and solutions

Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

good for entry and mid level career

Cons

harder for senior technical to advance and stay

6. Good company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. I was given opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

Jobs are at the mercy of the customer and world events. The work is either feast or famine, layoffs are not uncommon due to the contracting cycle.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are you most valuable asset.

7. When 5 years is a big deal....

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were great to work with. As a project, we were forgotten by corporate, so there was a lot of opportunity to do things like a small, independent, company.

Cons

Perks were non-existent. If you wanted tap water, you could to the public fountain; if you wanted any of the needed filtration of DC water, you could join the "water club."

Direct management was nowhere to be found unless a bus needed someone to be thrown under. There could be multiple feet of snow on the ground and taking the initiative to work from home was met with a "why didn't you get permission first."

Frankly, it was so poorly handled, I think the government would have been better off awarding the contract to our competitor. Although, the client was just as bad as we were, so maybe they deserved each other.

Advice to Management

It's the 21st century. Operate like a company that wants to succeed.

Solid Stable Company

Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Company values, people and focus on the mission are positive attributes

Cons

Exceedingly difficult to advance beyond the 3-5% annual merit increases.

Fantastic Co-workers, but no future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers are top-notch and extremely intelligent. Co-workers are very dedicated and work extremely hard. Also found most peers to be very supportive and helpful. The pay is highly competitive.

Cons

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that caveat, one must be aware that in the LM Employee Handbook, it states that "employees are expected to work more than 40 hours per week." During my two years with LM, I witnessed 18 (eighteen) people come and go. I have never experienced a professional workplace with such a shocking turnover rate. I worked with dedicated and talented people who went home on a Friday evening and received a phone call that (1) they were terminated and (2) do not report to work on Monday. I also witnessed an entire sub-team of 3 employees turn in their notice on the same day. The majority of resignations were simply due to the lack of work/life balance, employee burn-out, and a management structure that consistently demonstrates a lack of investment in the well-being and success of its employees.

Advice to Management

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that said, I quote Jim Goodnight, Chief Executive Officer of SAS: "95 percent of my assets drive out the gate every evening." It is a tragedy that Lockheed Martin employs upper management that treat extremely intelligent and talented employees as if they were interchangeable parts. It is very disconcerting to never know if you will have a job from week-to-week. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the combination of (1) expected 40+ hour weeks, (2) lack of work-life balance and (3) zero confidence in management = employees leaving LM.

10. Good mission but poor pay and declining benefits

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great satisfaction with the mission supporting a variety of US Government customers. High potential employees receive good training opportunities and advancement in a career is possible.

Cons

Lots of stress and hours caused by unrealistic customer and managerial expectations. Pay is near the bottom of the market and benefits are being reduced.

If you're not working for the headquaters directly you won't have UNDERSTOOD/APPRECIATED creative control.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT INSURANCE. They hire really great people, for social and professional benefits/agendas, that are passionate about their craft.

Cons

Not having CERTIFIED CREATIVES in UPPER MANAGEMENT that understand/respect the creative process, production time-frame, and profession.

In addition, its difficult to climb the career mountain; not impossible but hard, because of the company's desire for you to have a secret security clearance to go pass GO and collect $200 even though you dont need that level of clearance to begin the game of Monopoly. A Graphic Artist can literally start at level 1 and has the hope of reaching Level 5 (when Hercules becomes a God); however after level 2 you need the secret clearance to advance.... Oops even though there is NO WAY for you to acquire this in level 1 & 2 we don't want to give it to you to advance. I literally had a level 3 position desiring to hire me but they wanted me to have the GOLDEN TICKET (clearance) that they weren't willing to pay for in order for me to start working. The intellegent resolution, for this issue, would be that if someone has had amazing managerial evaluations and has advanced from level 1 to 2 with awesome attendance, evaluations, and a FREAKING treasure chest of recognition awards from the local branch and HEADQUARTERS on their achievements and success WITH THE LM CUSTOMER.... they might be worthy of that clearance... They MIGHT be a good investment. But I'm just the guy that designs, develops, and makes the customer want to work with you.... What do I know?

Advice to Management

This is an analogy... Warning some creative thought will be used within this message.

If you're a scientist and you develop a cure (HEADQUATERS) with a SPECIFIC formula. Wouldn't it be amazing, if you wrote down that cure so you could remember how you made it, to have the ability to teach others how to make the cure?

I had a upper-management person tell me that basically headquarters had "the cure" because they have to be "strong, healthy, and look amazing" for all to see. And we had an off brand version of "the cure" because its not essential to have the same ingredients because we dont need to be as healthy as headquarters.

To conclude and summarize, if you are a creative and you don't work for headquarters (PARENT) and you work for a branch (CHILD of BLOOD RELATION). You aren't seen to be working for an important enough establishment to have CREATIVES as part of the LEADERSHIP TEAM even though creatives are needed, desired, and had applied to a job post that requires a DEGREE from an accredited UNIVERSITY and must have YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE.

Upper-Management told me Lockheed Martin is an engineering/information technology company... Which is why anyone that has certification in those fields and human resources/accounting has a "congressional delegate" in upper-management where as creativity is subjective. If this is true... Take away the CREATIVE CERTIFIED PROFESSIONS from the formula of "THE CURE" and let's see if the company goes to HOSPICE.

Creatives aren't children that are trying to act like mommy and daddy (headquarters) for fun and practice. WE ARE THE HEARTBEAT that lets everyone know you exisit and are doing well.