Lockheed Martin Reviews

• Washington, DC Area

1. Good company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. I was given opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

Jobs are at the mercy of the customer and world events. The work is either feast or famine, layoffs are not uncommon due to the contracting cycle.

Remember that employees are you most valuable asset.

2. When 5 years is a big deal....

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were great to work with. As a project, we were forgotten by corporate, so there was a lot of opportunity to do things like a small, independent, company.

Cons

Perks were non-existent. If you wanted tap water, you could to the public fountain; if you wanted any of the needed filtration of DC water, you could join the "water club."

Direct management was nowhere to be found unless a bus needed someone to be thrown under. There could be multiple feet of snow on the ground and taking the initiative to work from home was met with a "why didn't you get permission first."

Frankly, it was so poorly handled, I think the government would have been better off awarding the contract to our competitor. Although, the client was just as bad as we were, so maybe they deserved each other.

It's the 21st century. Operate like a company that wants to succeed.

Solid Stable Company

Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Company values, people and focus on the mission are positive attributes

Cons

Exceedingly difficult to advance beyond the 3-5% annual merit increases.

Fantastic Co-workers, but no future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers are top-notch and extremely intelligent. Co-workers are very dedicated and work extremely hard. Also found most peers to be very supportive and helpful. The pay is highly competitive.

Cons

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that caveat, one must be aware that in the LM Employee Handbook, it states that "employees are expected to work more than 40 hours per week." During my two years with LM, I witnessed 18 (eighteen) people come and go. I have never experienced a professional workplace with such a shocking turnover rate. I worked with dedicated and talented people who went home on a Friday evening and received a phone call that (1) they were terminated and (2) do not report to work on Monday. I also witnessed an entire sub-team of 3 employees turn in their notice on the same day. The majority of resignations were simply due to the lack of work/life balance, employee burn-out, and a management structure that consistently demonstrates a lack of investment in the well-being and success of its employees.

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that said, I quote Jim Goodnight, Chief Executive Officer of SAS: "95 percent of my assets drive out the gate every evening." It is a tragedy that Lockheed Martin employs upper management that treat extremely intelligent and talented employees as if they were interchangeable parts. It is very disconcerting to never know if you will have a job from week-to-week. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the combination of (1) expected 40+ hour weeks, (2) lack of work-life balance and (3) zero confidence in management = employees leaving LM.

6. Good mission but poor pay and declining benefits

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great satisfaction with the mission supporting a variety of US Government customers. High potential employees receive good training opportunities and advancement in a career is possible.

Cons

Lots of stress and hours caused by unrealistic customer and managerial expectations. Pay is near the bottom of the market and benefits are being reduced.

If you're not working for the headquaters directly you won't have UNDERSTOOD/APPRECIATED creative control.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT INSURANCE. They hire really great people, for social and professional benefits/agendas, that are passionate about their craft.

Cons

Not having CERTIFIED CREATIVES in UPPER MANAGEMENT that understand/respect the creative process, production time-frame, and profession.

In addition, its difficult to climb the career mountain; not impossible but hard, because of the company's desire for you to have a secret security clearance to go pass GO and collect $200 even though you dont need that level of clearance to begin the game of Monopoly. A Graphic Artist can literally start at level 1 and has the hope of reaching Level 5 (when Hercules becomes a God); however after level 2 you need the secret clearance to advance.... Oops even though there is NO WAY for you to acquire this in level 1 & 2 we don't want to give it to you to advance. I literally had a level 3 position desiring to hire me but they wanted me to have the GOLDEN TICKET (clearance) that they weren't willing to pay for in order for me to start working. The intellegent resolution, for this issue, would be that if someone has had amazing managerial evaluations and has advanced from level 1 to 2 with awesome attendance, evaluations, and a FREAKING treasure chest of recognition awards from the local branch and HEADQUARTERS on their achievements and success WITH THE LM CUSTOMER.... they might be worthy of that clearance... They MIGHT be a good investment. But I'm just the guy that designs, develops, and makes the customer want to work with you.... What do I know?

This is an analogy... Warning some creative thought will be used within this message.

If you're a scientist and you develop a cure (HEADQUATERS) with a SPECIFIC formula. Wouldn't it be amazing, if you wrote down that cure so you could remember how you made it, to have the ability to teach others how to make the cure?

I had a upper-management person tell me that basically headquarters had "the cure" because they have to be "strong, healthy, and look amazing" for all to see. And we had an off brand version of "the cure" because its not essential to have the same ingredients because we dont need to be as healthy as headquarters.

To conclude and summarize, if you are a creative and you don't work for headquarters (PARENT) and you work for a branch (CHILD of BLOOD RELATION). You aren't seen to be working for an important enough establishment to have CREATIVES as part of the LEADERSHIP TEAM even though creatives are needed, desired, and had applied to a job post that requires a DEGREE from an accredited UNIVERSITY and must have YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE.

Upper-Management told me Lockheed Martin is an engineering/information technology company... Which is why anyone that has certification in those fields and human resources/accounting has a "congressional delegate" in upper-management where as creativity is subjective. If this is true... Take away the CREATIVE CERTIFIED PROFESSIONS from the formula of "THE CURE" and let's see if the company goes to HOSPICE.

Creatives aren't children that are trying to act like mommy and daddy (headquarters) for fun and practice. WE ARE THE HEARTBEAT that lets everyone know you exisit and are doing well.

8. Sr. Admin Asst

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Leadership was trying to lead successfully, but seemed that they would not take any advise from current managers that were on contract.

Cons

Leadership was constantly being changed -- closed the building I was working on.

Think about their employees as individuals.

9. Long term employee with exceptional opportunties

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- excellent training programs
    - excellent career development opportunities
    - excellent technology

Cons

- need to continue to trim middle management to become more cost competitve

10. Previous Glassdoor reviews for this position were correct

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with really nice people.

Cons

Not as much engineering as secretarial type office work.

Post a more accurate description of the job function.

11. The cons outweighed the pros.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, flex hours, great work location

Cons

The workload was heavy and the work days were long. There was no formal training so I was forced to learn on the job. My manager was always on travel and was difficult to reach. Coworkers were dog eat dog and difficult to work with.

Offer training to new employees that can benefit both employees and the company. Work with employees to provide certifications that are required by the client (example: PMP).