Lockheed Martin

3.5
2,595 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

325 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunity here for those who comply.

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at LM as a sub for almost a year, and things were quite organized. The history of the company gives employees a tried-and-true system. People don't have to reinvent the wheel to find solutions.

One of my managers was EXCELLENT and I admired his work ethic and that he cared so much about the projects, doing the right thing for the customer, and keeping things in line for project delivery. One of my teams was a lot of fun and creative--we produced learning solutions that were seen as unprecedented by the customer.

I made a lot of great friends and we had a lot of fun team-building experiences that we organized without leadership (baseball games, lunches, and happy hours, among other social events).

Cons

Some managers at my office made life miserable for some employees. One of my managers communicated everything solely by IM, even though she was a 10-second walk from my desk. Many managers were great employees who were appointed mgmt positions...and should not be in leadership roles.

In my office I regularly saw favoritism and nepotism, experienced/was aware of backbiting, and knew about inappropriate (sexual) relationships between employees and /or admin. Many were paranoid about getting thrown under the bus.

Some contractors were "let go" due to "personality conflicts." That meant that the rest of us were pulled into a conference room while a supervisor explained that "It just didn't work out with Contractor Joe. But don't worry! You're all doing a great job!" That was the only time one of my managers gave us positive feedback... when someone got fired. Due to this, office morale became quite low.

For employees, burnout rate was high. If you did a good job, they piled on the work. It is until 10 years with this company that you get two weeks of paid vacation per year. At 10 years, you get three weeks per year. IMHO, this is no way to live. When another company came along with a great offer, I jumped.

Listen to your workers. Just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean that they are being done the right way today. "Think outside the box" means applying unorthodox ideas. Allow employees the freedom to do that. Give structured feedback and encouragement--it was lacking in my office. Consider the turnover rate at your office and, if it's high (my office was 25-30%), put out a survey about what can be done to improve conditions. Take some management and leadership classes if you are aware that you're not a natural leader. Don't let the customer walk all over the team...go to bat for them.

Lots of opportunity to learn all aspects of the business

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for entry and mid level resources. There are flexible work schedules, and the ability to work remotely, the program allows it. Great mentors, and experienced employees that are always willing to provide advise and motivation.

Cons

Work is feast or famine, meaning work can be extremely slow at times, but when the work is there it seems that you have to work around the clock to get is all done.

Good

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paternal, supportive, enabling, rewarding in short term

Cons

No control ate employee level; decision process stunted

Downsize

30 yr continuous employment with LM has been a good overall experience. Tough the last several yrs with cuts.

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good senior management thinking long-term growth and over financial performance of the company. Benefits are not as good as they once where as the company reduces costs.

Cons

Outlook and opportunities for long-term employees are there but very limited as there is a move to promote and over challenging opportunities to younger employees.

Don't disrespect your long-term employees. Provide more opportunity to make them feel keep their knowledge and experience with the company.

LM is a good company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lockheed is a good company with a lot of jobs. The people I have worked with have all been professional and competent.

Cons

Upward momentum was difficult after a few years there I had to switch jobs to get my market rate.

Turn your career in to a Job!

Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time, and Vacation time

Cons

Work culture is hostile, retaliation and nepotism run rampant. Job Reqs are frequently opened for, "groomed" candidates i.e. it's a forgone conclusion who will be receiving the promotion. The workforce is flat, there are very many low levels, and very few opportunities to further your career through hard work. The culture is the literal stereotype of who you know, no what you know.

Stop the silliness of forcing employees to interview for the next promotion to a different area where they may not even be the best qualified candidate and know very little about there new higher position. Promote from within the group. All your doing is fostering resentment of a new higher paid person coming in who beyond there ability to interview well, likely know far less about the area than the workforce you overlooked. I can't recommend anyone I care about work here long term... you've turned it in to a paycheck and taken away the pride of having a career... I literally have a manager telling me that you have no loyalty to us, therefore where is ours in return to you? The bare minimum to keep our employment, you are not fostering any more than that. That's it, that's the word on the street. You can either listen, or argue with beautiful PR words. But at the end of the day, I and many others feel the way I described and we are where the rubber meets the road... not HR.

Government Intelligence Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working 4 (10-hour) days

Cons

As a Government Contractor, I really enjoyed the people I worked worked. However, LMCO was extremely submissive to the Federal Government and I assume that since LMCO was the prime, they didn't want to "rock the boat" when it came to Government Mandated downsizing.
    Save ALL YOUR LEAVE; because when OPM closes Government Offices you will be REQUIRED to use your "leave" if you want to get paid!! I have a BIG PROBLEM with that; especially, if you are a Salaried Employee.............its not your fault it snowed!

Good job if you are okay with corporate

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good job security and fair compensation compared to competition.

Cons

Very corporate. I did not feel important to the company at large, and never came in contact with top execs. There is ~8 levels of separation from the lowest employee to the top.

Fun while it lasted

Former Employee - SharePoint Instructor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SharePoint Instructor in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good working conditions, They had a great coffee maker

Cons

Never knew when a contact would extend or end

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large Defense Contractor with many job opportunities.

Cons

Red tape and very competitive for upward movement.

Management tends to think less of engineers who do most of the work.