Lockheed Martin

3.5
2,604 Reviews

Lockheed Martin President & COO Marillyn Hewson
Marillyn Hewson

Pros
  • This is really a wonderful place for a working mother - great work/life balance (in 222 reviews)

• Work life balance; Good Benefits; 9/80 work weeks; Pension (although this has been eliminated for new employees) (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • My program had mandatory overtime, seems like work/life balance might not be the best (in 50 reviews)

• For a large company you would expect industry setting standards for benefits (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty good work experience, lots of different opportunities.

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of diversified work across the company. A lot of opportunities within leadership programs for extra training and career development.

Cons

Some business areas are disconnected from the central company. Communication may lack to some employees that have restrictions on their email access due to where they work.

Continue leadership development programs, continue career planning resources.

good exposure to defense contractor environment, diverse technology and solutions

Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

good for entry and mid level career

Cons

harder for senior technical to advance and stay

Good company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. I was given opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

Jobs are at the mercy of the customer and world events. The work is either feast or famine, layoffs are not uncommon due to the contracting cycle.

Remember that employees are you most valuable asset.

When 5 years is a big deal....

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were great to work with. As a project, we were forgotten by corporate, so there was a lot of opportunity to do things like a small, independent, company.

Cons

Perks were non-existent. If you wanted tap water, you could to the public fountain; if you wanted any of the needed filtration of DC water, you could join the "water club."

Direct management was nowhere to be found unless a bus needed someone to be thrown under. There could be multiple feet of snow on the ground and taking the initiative to work from home was met with a "why didn't you get permission first."

Frankly, it was so poorly handled, I think the government would have been better off awarding the contract to our competitor. Although, the client was just as bad as we were, so maybe they deserved each other.

It's the 21st century. Operate like a company that wants to succeed.

Solid Stable Company

Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Company values, people and focus on the mission are positive attributes

Cons

Exceedingly difficult to advance beyond the 3-5% annual merit increases.

Fantastic Co-workers, but no future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers are top-notch and extremely intelligent. Co-workers are very dedicated and work extremely hard. Also found most peers to be very supportive and helpful. The pay is highly competitive.

Cons

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that caveat, one must be aware that in the LM Employee Handbook, it states that "employees are expected to work more than 40 hours per week." During my two years with LM, I witnessed 18 (eighteen) people come and go. I have never experienced a professional workplace with such a shocking turnover rate. I worked with dedicated and talented people who went home on a Friday evening and received a phone call that (1) they were terminated and (2) do not report to work on Monday. I also witnessed an entire sub-team of 3 employees turn in their notice on the same day. The majority of resignations were simply due to the lack of work/life balance, employee burn-out, and a management structure that consistently demonstrates a lack of investment in the well-being and success of its employees.

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that said, I quote Jim Goodnight, Chief Executive Officer of SAS: "95 percent of my assets drive out the gate every evening." It is a tragedy that Lockheed Martin employs upper management that treat extremely intelligent and talented employees as if they were interchangeable parts. It is very disconcerting to never know if you will have a job from week-to-week. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the combination of (1) expected 40+ hour weeks, (2) lack of work-life balance and (3) zero confidence in management = employees leaving LM.

Good mission but poor pay and declining benefits

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great satisfaction with the mission supporting a variety of US Government customers. High potential employees receive good training opportunities and advancement in a career is possible.

Cons

Lots of stress and hours caused by unrealistic customer and managerial expectations. Pay is near the bottom of the market and benefits are being reduced.

Previous Glassdoor reviews for this position were correct

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with really nice people.

Cons

Not as much engineering as secretarial type office work.

Post a more accurate description of the job function.

Good Stable Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are identified as a high contributor you are treated well. Decent benefits, very good work/life balance most of the time. Never said no to a vacation and the experience has been very good upt ot his point.

Cons

Most of the leadership is progressive with their attitude towards the workforce. Some is not. So sometimes I have found it difficult to fight the balance between walking a politically correct type approach and a get it done type attitude. I don't know that this is company specific, just something that struck me as odd.

Lockheed Martin has been a pillar in my career growth.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Supervisor of IT in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Supervisor of IT in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401K, Benefits, Learning attributes, educational assistance, and career growth.

Cons

Depending on the contract you work on there can be some challenges in contract appropriation and or communication break down.

Communication is key know matter how challenging the information being shared can be received.