Lockheed Martin Reviews

1. Great place to work, but the Civil side is unsteady

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Telecommute, great hours (over-time is a rarity). There is always an effort to train.

Cons

Must be willing to live government contract to contract. Always have a resume ready. If you're not billable you're at risk; if there are budget issues, you're at risk.

2. Meaningful work for new engineers.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to grow a dynamic career.

Cons

It's a large company, so new engineers don't always see the big picture.

3. Great company but bad local decisions at times

Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Management Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Large company with vast resources
    - Good benefits
    - Lots of job opportunities

Cons

- On two occasions they brought in a "rainmaker" who proceeded to run the (very large) program into the ground and we lost the re-compete(s). Also, people who were formerly highly rated suddenly became rated low. I left the program I was on the first time it happened, and the company itself the second time. The first time I got out ahead of any negative impacts. The second time I tried gutting it out and went from having the highest or second highest rating for 11 straight years to the lowest possible rating before I finally left.

Think more carefully before making big personnel changes. Sometimes the status quo is good and is what the customer wants.

5. Pretty good work experience, lots of different opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of diversified work across the company. A lot of opportunities within leadership programs for extra training and career development.

Cons

Some business areas are disconnected from the central company. Communication may lack to some employees that have restrictions on their email access due to where they work.

Continue leadership development programs, continue career planning resources.

6. Avoid if you can, going downhill fast!

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Discounts on outside companies (but not any better than what is at any other large company)
    -Allow for telecommute

Cons

- Management doesn't care about employees at all. treat you like a cog in a machine that can be replaced easily.
    - Benefits are horrible and defined pension plan is gone and good luck figuring how to do better with 401k.
    - Health insurance is bad and getting worse.
    - No advancement at all. Stuck pretty much where you join. Also pay raises are bad. Give everyone coming in the door a raise but screw over all current employees (treating you like cookie cutter).
    - Don't listen to anything you say unless it is what they want to hear. They will treat you bad to make numbers or work you into the ground so they fail then justify to hire more people after the fail and they have burned you out.
    - Have you work the extra hours (as salary) and then if you don't use in that week you lose the chance to take some of the extra hours banked off later. (Work life balance is not here)
    - Training is non-existent. Fight tooth and nail every year to get any. Even in the cyber security world where you need for professional certs good luck in getting unless you are a buddy.
    - Evals are large company usual 10% outstanding and 80% normal and 10% dirt bag. Every year no matter what. Waste a lot of time for almost no raise and writing up just bunk to not get the bottom 10% (they already know who the favorite is and going to be in top 10%)
    - They only do enough (in cyber security) not to get into trouble. Unless you are the chosen few no chance to actually do anything interesting. Just going thru the motions to make it look good. Never listen to what anyone tells them things are not right. Just wear you down to where you stop saying anything to them about how bad things are.
    - Overall they just don't care about employees and they don't like being told what they are doing wrong. management is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus in seconds. Any good managers leave as soon as they see how things are going. Employees always feel under the gun that the boss will ride you because they don't like you or won't go with what they want. Company has been going down hill for sometime and seems to be picking up speed. Glad to leave and happy with new company.

Actually do an exit interview and see why you are losing so many employees. Start to care about your employees as the older people are retiring and no one is going to stay around long the way things are going.
    Realize you actually have to pay market wages and benefits. Thanks for cutting defined pension plan, makes it easier to leave the company.

7. good exposure to defense contractor environment, diverse technology and solutions

Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

good for entry and mid level career

Cons

harder for senior technical to advance and stay

8. Good company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. I was given opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

Jobs are at the mercy of the customer and world events. The work is either feast or famine, layoffs are not uncommon due to the contracting cycle.

Remember that employees are you most valuable asset.

9. When 5 years is a big deal....

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were great to work with. As a project, we were forgotten by corporate, so there was a lot of opportunity to do things like a small, independent, company.

Cons

Perks were non-existent. If you wanted tap water, you could to the public fountain; if you wanted any of the needed filtration of DC water, you could join the "water club."

Direct management was nowhere to be found unless a bus needed someone to be thrown under. There could be multiple feet of snow on the ground and taking the initiative to work from home was met with a "why didn't you get permission first."

Frankly, it was so poorly handled, I think the government would have been better off awarding the contract to our competitor. Although, the client was just as bad as we were, so maybe they deserved each other.

It's the 21st century. Operate like a company that wants to succeed.

Solid Stable Company

Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contracts in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Company values, people and focus on the mission are positive attributes

Cons

Exceedingly difficult to advance beyond the 3-5% annual merit increases.

Fantastic Co-workers, but no future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers are top-notch and extremely intelligent. Co-workers are very dedicated and work extremely hard. Also found most peers to be very supportive and helpful. The pay is highly competitive.

Cons

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that caveat, one must be aware that in the LM Employee Handbook, it states that "employees are expected to work more than 40 hours per week." During my two years with LM, I witnessed 18 (eighteen) people come and go. I have never experienced a professional workplace with such a shocking turnover rate. I worked with dedicated and talented people who went home on a Friday evening and received a phone call that (1) they were terminated and (2) do not report to work on Monday. I also witnessed an entire sub-team of 3 employees turn in their notice on the same day. The majority of resignations were simply due to the lack of work/life balance, employee burn-out, and a management structure that consistently demonstrates a lack of investment in the well-being and success of its employees.

It is not my intention to paint a multinational corporation with a wide brush; I'm only referring to my own experience as an LM employee assigned to a US government contract. With that said, I quote Jim Goodnight, Chief Executive Officer of SAS: "95 percent of my assets drive out the gate every evening." It is a tragedy that Lockheed Martin employs upper management that treat extremely intelligent and talented employees as if they were interchangeable parts. It is very disconcerting to never know if you will have a job from week-to-week. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the combination of (1) expected 40+ hour weeks, (2) lack of work-life balance and (3) zero confidence in management = employees leaving LM.