Lodging Hospitality Management

Lodging Hospitality Management Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
Robert F. O'Loughlin

1. A fun, challenging, and rewarding place to learn hotel sales/marketing!

Former Employee - Director of Revenue in Woodson Terrace, MO
    Former Employee - Director of Revenue in Woodson Terrace, MO

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in sales/marketing for all 4.5 years at various hotels in their portfolio. The sales/revenue teams are filled with great people who are competitive, congenial, and take great pride in their work. I made a lot of good friends here and I miss them dearly. Revenue management is led by a fantastic VP who pushes hard for excellence and a great corporate area director who is a strong teacher. Their leadership has led in the past 5 years to amazing results as the hotels in most St. Louis submarkets were consistently running high revpar indices. They both take the time to make sure you have the skills/tools to excel as well as constructively coach you when you make a mistake. The first year or two when you manage a property they will stay close to your strategies and give you constant feedback. Leadership also does do additional trainings to help you learn special skills such as negotiation. You will become a better revenue or sales person while working at this company.

If you work hard at LHM they will reward you with pay increases, promotions, and special incentives. If you have a poor attitude and/or don't put in extra time/effort then you likely won't see the results and won't be rewarded. Sales Management is very meritocratic in who they promote and not political. They are geographically limited as a management company to the St. Louis area but I'm guessing that will change in the next 5-10 years.

Cons

My main complaint is benefits. When particularly managers are working 50-70 hour work weeks, they deserve some vacation time to recoup and be able to excel at their position. When you start at LHM you do not have vacation time during your first year and then the 5 days that you accrue during the first year you are only able to use once you have been there a full 365 days. This leads to burn out and it was very difficult physically/psychologically the first couple of years. After an employee's 2 year mark you do get 10 days which I believe is fair--it's not a large amount but it works. Health care benefits are also somewhat expensive but I don't believe they are extremely low given it is a smaller company.

Advice to Management

Continue to effectively train employees by adding more corporate staff if need be. Work on ensuring that operations departments and GM are engaged on sales/revenue goals.

2. Poor Management

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They promote quickly.
    The CEO of the company is very visible and accessible to employees. I respect the O'Loughlins and admire their entrepreneurial vision for the company.

Cons

They hire young inexperienced people into positions that their not ready for, and offer little to no training and then chastise them and have higher ranking managers micro-manage the hell out of them.
    I worked at a hotel whenever LHM took over, and the management change-over process was a nightmare. They fired all the managers immediately, and brought in their own staff. Their staff micro managed the heck out of the existing staff, while they sat in the back office and did nothing.
    I've have never heard a single current or former employee of theirs say anything positive about the company. Yes you will always have one or two disgruntled employees but when they ENTIRE workforce has nothing glowing to say, then there's definitely an issue.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to own AND manage all of your properties. Let another company that specializes in hospitality manage your properties for you.

3. Accounting

Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Willing to hire an entry-level employee
    Easy to advance quickly
    You're going to see a lot of cons, but this job was exactly what I was looking for right out of college.

Cons

Terrible benefits package - especially health insurance
    No 401K Match
    Very few paid holidays
    Takes 5 years to earn 2 weeks vacation. Before that you get 1
    No raises. Ever.

Corporate Accountant

Current Employee - Accounting
    Current Employee - Accounting

Pros

Small company, good management, everyone is very friendly and a small company allows for all employees to get to know each other and learn together

Cons

Low pay, no employee progress reviews, no employer match for 401K, no yearly discussion of salary, heavy work-load for little pay, no raise after 1.5 years.

Advice to Management

Perform reviews on your employees so they know their progress, areas that need improvement, and feel appreciated for their work.

6. Very rewarding experience

I have been working at Lodging Hospitality Management (Less than a year)

Pros

There people here are so fun and hard working. Great place to work.

Cons

No cons. Working here helped me grow as a person and as a business woman.

7. Will destroy your personal life.

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee development. Fast advancement. They make a lot of promises to college graduates and new manager. Discount hotel rooms.

Cons

Upper Management expects line level managers to work sometimes two weeks with no days off while they take every weekend off. The pay is not to industry standards. If you feel you are being treated unfairly Human Resources simply says its part of working in the industry. There is no time for family or friends working for this company and they do not value their employees personal lives. Line level managers and supervisor get ill from working long hours all the time with minimal sleep. The benefits package with this company is a joke. This company will go belly up if they don't start taking care of the employees.

8. Awesome

Current Contractor - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Contractor - Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lodging Hospitality Management as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything about the company is so awesome

Cons

I have no cons, the place is awesome

Advice to Management

Awesome

9. Political rat race where guests and staff are taken advantage of.

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time

Pros

Money was competitive and they are always hiring.

Cons

They expect you to live for your job. No one genuinely cared for the guests or trying to change to move forward. No support.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics and add more help to take care of guests. It will pay off in the long run.

10. I wouldn't recommend.

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, opportunity to work your way up.

Cons

The upper management in this company could care less about their employees. You're under constant pressure to perform 3 people's jobs, while being chastised for underperforming in a disorganized, low morale environment. I could go on and on, but most of the feedback on here has summed them up.

Advice to Management

Slow down and focus on the people who represent your company. Train them, pay them better, respect the managers who want to help you make a profitable and welcoming business with less turnover.

Doubletree in Chesterfield

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Lodging Hospitality Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great benefits.
    * Fresh, renovated hotel.
    * Active with local charities.

Cons

* Poor communication between management and employees.
    * Understaffed throughout.
    * Human Resources runs the hotel blindly from behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

While the Doubletree in Chesterfield is just one of many LHM hotel properties, it does not reflect well on them. The GM of the hotel needs to be on-site more often. Human Resources should focus on hiring staff (It took more than a year to replace two hourly employees), instead of micro-managing departments in which they are clueless. And most of all, managers need to be trained on effective communication (or lack there-of).