LogMeIn

LogMeIn Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

LogMeIn Chairman, President, and CEO Michael K. Simon

Michael K. Simon

They don't pay their sales reps

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat environment that is built on a foundation of great people which makes the company tolerable.... however it can only last so long.

ConsDon't expect to pay off a mortgage
    They give their sales reps the lowest wages in the area
    Company down the street already recruited a few of the top reps and others are beginning to target logmein sales reps for jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees before they leave for much better pay down the street

Best company I've worked for

Marketing (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of smart people, great products and a fun culture are the highlights. I've been working at LogMeIn for less than 1 year, but upon joining I was immediately impressed with the number of really smart people. LogMeIn has a reputation for great products and there is a great deal of pride in the company. I've found the culture to be hard-working and fun but also real, none of the "forced enthusiasm" I've seen at other companies. I think its hilarious that some of the other reviewers complain about having to go to a 3 day offsite at a beach resort once a year where 50% of the day is "free time"--guess they'd rather be in the office! I think the move downtown wasn't easy for some long-timers but the new office is very cool.

ConsThe pay is only OK compared to other companies and it doesn't seem like there is much emphasis on employee education. There are definitely some "long timers" who complain about not being as fun as it used to be in start-up days or that they preferred the old office in Woburn (!?)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Best work experience of my life

(Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAmazing people, culture and work environment

ConsLow pay, poor employee development - unless you were in sales. maybe offer more compensation and not as many kind bars....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work

Account Executive (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFun place to work and it's a gratifying experience knowing you are working with products that are helping to connect the world.

Some of our new products are going to help shape the future of remote connectivity.

Great place to learn and improve as an individual.

Company vacation once a year in the tropics.

The CEO and CFO are great people, and create a great atmosphere.

ConsPay is low when compared to performance and similar titles/salaries from companies in the area

You would think there is a lot of room to move up within the company, you can't see it on the sales side. Once your an Account Executive there isn't much room to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job leading and motivating.

You are going to lose star players if they don't receive fair compensation for their performance.

Pay is below average and there is no room to move up internally on the sales side.

Overworked, Underpaid, and Going Nowhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy co-workers for the most part were great, they had lots of technology, and after the move to Boston working from home was no longer forbidden, there is a nice roof deck

ConsThey don't value their employees, there is no track for moving up, nothing changes, management doesn't care about your opinions because they know best and the fact that you might have a great education and may be very intelligent doesn't mean they want to know what you think.

Management does not have your back in disagreements with other departments even if they say they agree with you to begin with.

The pay is certainly not on par with the industry (at least not in my department). I've read the other reviews on here and I honestly don't know what company those people are talking about, I disagree with almost everything the good reviews say.

They overwork you because they don't want to "spend the headcount" in any department except sales because apparently no other department effects the bottom line. So instead you'll find yourself working nights and weekends with no light at the end of the tunnel just to finish the work.

On top of that they force you to do "optional" work events like traveling to exotic locals which takes up your personal time and weekend, going on boating trips, and meetings that are always held late on Fridays. Some people might like traveling with their co-workers to beach locals, but I didn't.

They moved the company to Boston, seemingly, just for the image.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and utilize their skills. Also, learn to promote from within (even outside of sales and user services).

Stop being so concerned with what people think and whether you're right next to Google and Facebook because you are not in that league, but if you focus on your employees and the great products then someday, you might be.

Good Atmosphere

Accounting (Former Employee)

ProsGood Atmosphere if full-time worker

ConsBad atmosphere if part-time worker

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees the same

Poor Planning and Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart, talented hardworking employees, promising technology stack, nice new facility, good location, decent perks and benefits.

ConsPoor planning, communication challenges, short term thinking, cronyism, inexperienced management, lack of consistent and strong leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and take care of your best and most valuable employees.

The TRUE inside scoop at LogMeIn from Mid-level employee

Mid-Level, Not In Management Position (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLogMeIn is a very interesting company because it's doing very well with consistent growth and has been around for 10 years, yet still maintains the perks of a start-up. Perks include monthly free lunches, unlimited drinks (coffee, tea, juice, soda, seltzer water, espresso machine) and snacks (granola bars, fruits, oatmeal), stock options, POOL table, Bean Bag Toss, resting areas, 60" TVs and an in-house fitness center with shower rooms/lockers.

Having worked with and exposure to most of the departments within the company (inside sales, field sales, user services, marketing, creative team, product teams, IT, HR, development and executive management including the CEO, CFO, CTO, CMO and COO, here is what I've observed over the course of slightly shy of 1 year:

1) Move to Boston from Woburn: As another GlassDoor reviewer posted, the move to Boston from Woburn did cause some turnover. It was a difficult decision for LogMeIn to do because there were people from all levels and tenure that have mentioned they would have to leave because the commute being over an hour each way would be too much. LogMeIn has grown tremendously and HAD to move out of the current office in Woburn within 12-24 months so after many considerations, the move to Boston had many pros vs. staying in Woburn. There is not a doubt Boston has more opportunity to find talent because there are a tremendous amount of people without a car. Mayor Thomas Menino came by our office this past week to officially welcome LogMeIn into the community and has mentioned his initiative in transforming the downtown / innovation district area. He has provided tremendous amount of support from his staff and other incentives (which unfortunately I don't know all the details, such as any tax benefits). LogMeIn invested heavily into the renovations of the Boston office and is the first company to have all desks being standing desks (they can move up and down with a press of a button so you can stand up, stretch and work rather than sitting down all day long). Lastly, as the company is growing and expanding into new markets with all the products such as Xively, Cubby, Join.Me, BoldChat, Rescue, LogMeIn Pro/Central, being in a central hub makes it more attractive to not only future employees, but partners, investors and customers. Can you imagine if Google was based out of Rancho Cucamonga, CA in the San Bernadino County, how many people will move out there or actually be willing to live nearly in the middle of nowhere?

2) Management: Management in all depts work extremely hard with many long hours and simply because they are not in the office doesn't mean they're taking it easy. Sometimes I might be in the office around 7am and already I see them in meeting rooms / conference rooms and they're in the office until 6-7pm. As I've worked with some in management/senior management and trying to schedule meetings, it's been difficult sometimes because they are meeting with customers, partners and travelling both domestically and internationally. I am a mid-level employee so there is not me being biased here.

3) Highly efficient: LogMeIn uses its own tools to be highly efficient so while there are hundreds of employees in Boston, there is just a small staff for the IT and HR departments and is a great selling point to our customers when we say hey, we have 200+ people in our office and 2-3 IT folks are supporting all the day to day IT issues because of LogMeIn's Rescue product, that speaks volumes I would imagine. A company that has too many employees doing functions / tasks that can be handled by a few would be very inefficient which results in lower profitability which results in lower stock price (if you're a public company) and less benefits (talking to our office admin, we run through a couple hundred drinks a day (coffee, juices and soda) and snacks - that is not an expense most companies are willing to shell out.

4) Career Opportunities: LogMeIn has many brands and roles where I've seen people in user services move into marketing, product teams, sales, business development technical account management. Employees should work closely with their managers discuss their career objectives which is done every year with a personal assessment where employees can give their own assessment of how they're doing, and also list out their career, training and personal goals/needs. If you work hard, you will be recognized. If you work hard AND smart, you will not only be recognized but also rewarded. LogMeIn also takes teams out for drinks, lunches, dinner and other special events such as Cancun, Jamaica, Foxwoods, etc.

ConsThere is no 401k but the stock options is a nice plus to balance this out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a more comprehensive interview process that can somehow understand a candidate's background, personality and their expectations. If someone is expecting to work 1-2 years and get promoted to a certain level, it would be helpful to know what they're trying to accomplish because if it's unrealistic from the beginning, that should be addressed. Also understanding the candidate's work habits is helpful too. I don't really know of any companies requiring no more than 40 hours of work a week (if you work 9-5pm and have 1 hour lunch you're actually only working 35 hours the minus breaks and then you're actually working more like 32-33 hours a week) but some people may feel obligated to some type of reward or huge bonus because stay in the office 45 hours a week (which is really 40 if you account for an hour lunch).

Great company to learn, grow and have fun

Prosreally good people to work with across the organization in each department
    awesome innovation company - rescue, join.me, cubby, etc.
    incredible new Boston office
    good activities and offsites both as a whole company wide and in smaller dept. groups

ConsCompany vision isn't consistently communicated by the executive team
    options are out of the money

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus, pursue and communicate a consistent long term vision

Miserable from start to finish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOccastional free lunches
    "Working" trips to far off locations during weekends and personal time

ConsComplete and total mismanagement that starts at the top and trickles down.
    The rich get richer while midlevel employees who work the hardest get 2%
    Long hours and poor salary for anyone without a 'VP' in front of their title
    If you don't drink the Kool Aid you won't last long...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so concerned about competing with the Facebooks and the LinkedIns of the world and focus on being LogMeIn

Worked for LogMeIn? Contribute to the Community!