Logan Simpson Design

Updated September 2, 2014
2.2

Diane S Colebank

Fair Treatment

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, fair pay, nice offices.

Cons

They added a new office and a new principals recently and it seems like there was a lot of chaos for a long time. Seems to be straightening out.

Talk to your staff about workload and make sure they know what the members of upper management are doing.

The. Worst. Company. In. The. World.

I worked at Logan Simpson Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The casual environment. Most people were nice, at best, to work with. Nothing good to say about working *for* someone. Team work are not words easily associated with Logan Simpson design.

Cons

Upper management, work asked to perform not what was signed on to do. The marketing group was a small clique of people who had been there 3-10 years and did not like, nor wanted to, or interested in training new employees.

You may want to listen to your employees regarding making the job description actually match the duties asked to perform. Don't lie to people then stab them in the back due to your lazy, lackadaisical *training*.

Interesting People, Multidisciplinary Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's no way to be bored at LSD. They frequently do multidisciplinary projects, so you get the benefit of colleagues' viewpoints in other fields, which can save a lot of time and heartache. People are friendly and the salary and benefits are good.

Cons

LSD is growing and has added several offices recently. Getting to know and work with staff in other offices can be challenging.

Encourage staff from all offices to mix more.

Not a very pleasant place

Current Employee - Landscape Planner in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Landscape Planner in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are challenging projects but the only positive review that has been posted recently comes right of the company's web page. Obviously it was written by management or HR in order to control the bleeding.

Cons

One of the most ethically challenged places I have ever worked. Negative environment was evident from the beginning. Constant criticism without supportive documentation. Management seems to feel that the high rate of turnover is due to projects that are too stressful. However, most staff is up to the challenge. The bosses aren't. You don't quit the job, you quit the boss. Management is fueled by fear and constant belittling of the workforce. This is not a good management strategy and usually leads to eventual failure.

Bring in some fresh faces and by doing so bring in people that really know what they are doing not those that are just great talkers.

Beautiful office setting but beware

Current Employee - Undefined in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Undefined in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice urban environment near ASU. Good area to live.

Cons

As with any consulting business today, the pressure with deadlines can be intense. However, in this company communication does not take place except for constant bullying from middle management. Be careful because you will leave here with no integrity intact. Management does not seem to care about its customers or its staff, only the bottom line and making a profit at all costs. Unless you are one of the principals you can't do a good job here. Constant criticism from very flawed senior personnel. Like the fellow that was given a different contract from what was promised during his interview, you can't rely on any promises from them. LSD maintains a very paranoid environment for its workers. Expect to work overtime since your sleep will be interrupted by nightmares. Also expect management to call you at home and yell at you.

Retire and let someone know what they are doing get involved.

Great firm to work on challenging and interesting projects.

Current Employee - Professional in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Professional in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The tempe office is in an urban walkable environment accessible by light rail. The interdisciplinary staff and nature of many of the projects creates a dynamic work environment.

Cons

The workload and pace can be challenging at times, though that is generally the expectation in the consulting world. Staff turn-over is at a constantly high level.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Scared in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Scared in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only thing that is good about this evil company is its location in downtown Tempe on Mill avenue

Cons

None, I have worked there for fours+ years and have reoccurring nightmares about the evil CEO/Principles. The general moral is low, management uses layoffs as motivation. You never know when your last day is.

Treat your employees like humans. Stop using fear as motivation. Pay Better.

Don't let the name fool you, far from a "design" firm - out of touch

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some hard-working staff that keep this place a float, relaxed atmosphere, the engine of this business could really drive this place ahead, it both hands could steer in the same direction.

Cons

out of touch leadership, stale approach to business, for some reason all decisions made by accounting / operations principal who doesn't know a thing about biology, archeology, or design, overbearing IT on power trip, IT snooping in on everything (email, usage, data transfers), no streaming allowed, no downloading allowed (even work-related), no direction or leadership from management, too much middle management trying to make themselves relevant, too many principals / directors that get in the way of progress, unorganized project management, asked continually to work more hours than you can bill = work for free, out dated equipment, CEO that only shows interest in one area of the business, no one looks at the business and really understands it comprehensively.

please cash out already; those remaining principals: please unite and act like professionals, make "business" decisions, take the reigns from accounting - they don't know the first thing about a design firm

Which one of these new hires is going to replace me?

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will train you in your profession. LSD is very good at training entry-level people. They used to have an awesome holiday party every year. One of the best. When I was there, there was a cohort of twenty somethings there that I still consider one of the best groups of people I've ever worked with. Great organizational management. They have a procedure/policy for everything, which I miss.

Cons

I haven't worked there for 6 years, but the suspicion that you are about to be replaced by that new hire still stays with me. I have often had to remind myself at my current firm when we get a new hire "This is not LSD". People would come and go so often there. Plus, management created a very secretive "Stepford Wives" sort of environment that was very uncomfortable to work in. You always had to watch what you said and to who (more so than just the normal office situation). Which was odd, because they were one of the most open firms when it came to the firm's financial standing.

Start trusting that your employees want to do well by the firm.

You Will Learn A Lot, But the Paranoia Will Last a Decade

Current Employee - Environmental Planner in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Environmental Planner in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logan Simpson Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot (in an entry level position)

Cons

You will feel the paranoia this place created for years. And years. Its the weirdest vibe of any firm I've ever worked at.