LogicBlox

www.logicblox.com

LogicBlox Reviews

4.0

Molham Aref

Smart people; cutting edge technology; ambitious

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to work at a place that's building really innovative technology, where you're very unlikely to be bored, where the process is light and organization is flat, where sales people are almost too good, then this is the place for you.

It's difficult to find a bigger concentration or blend of talent. You got the people with a heavy theoretical bend, working along side people who are solid, practical engineering wizards, along people who can phrase the technology in a way people will money will buy.

It's not free of office drama; but it's unlikely you will find a place that has as little drama as this place.

Cons

It's a place that people who are comfortable with ambiguity will thrive. If you like to know exactly what the roadmap is for the next year and feel irritated when the roadmap changes 3 months into the year, then this is probably not the place for you.

If you are uncomfortable with using immature technology -- supporting immature technology, then this is not the place for you. The company's product is definitely on its way to being a mature one, but by definition of being innovative, it's not there yet.

If you want a clear "career path", e.g. after 2 years you get promoted from senior to principal developer, or from associate consultant to managing consultant, then this is not the place for you. It's a small company that just doesn't have all those type of process in place yet. You need to aggressively going after the skills you want to gain, yourself.

Fun if you are doing platform development, but application development is horrible

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LogicBlox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work on platform or application development, you'll get to write lots of new code.

Cons

The business is run by inexperienced academics and pie-in-the-sky dreamers. Application developers get no respect and are expected to create robust software based on a buggy, immature platform. Half the company was laid off in 2012, and they just laid off lots more people.

One reason app developers write so much new code is that the application projects usually fail and are thrown away -- no lessons are learned and carried forward, so if you stay long enough, app work feels like a never-ending treadmill.

Great people, great flexibility, great vision

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at LogicBlox for almost 5 years, and have been a professional software engineer for 13 years.

LogicBlox is a special company to work for. We offer tough problems to solve, stunning colleagues to work with, and flexible working arrangements.

The work here is deep and fascinating enough to require and attract top-shelf talent both from industry and academia despite not being located in tech hot spots like Silicon Valley or NYC. We tackle big, difficult problems and insist on excellent engineering quality in our platform.

Our company is low drama, low politics, and high flexibility. We have a very flat organization (roughly 96% engineers, 4% G&A / management) with highly committed and down-to-earth management/team leads. We have trust in each other to be responsible stewards for the company, which is what allows us to have a a great remote working policy (half the company works remotely) and an unlimited vacation policy.

We have regular (probably 1 a week on average) talks open to the company either from staff, applicants or academic collaborators which run gamut from demos of ongoing work to internal design proposals to presentations of CS thesis material. Regardless of your background, if you work at LogicBlox you will (forcibly) learn new things all the time and be encouraged to do so.

Cons

For me there aren't cons. For those who prefer more hierarchical organizations, LogicBlox does not offer that. I agree with another reviewer who said that it is required to be comfortable with ambiguity and immature technology. To me that is a plus, because it means there is a lot of opportunity for new employees to have a major impact and try to pitch and implement their ideas.

Inspiring work environment and exciting future to look forward to

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LogicBlox cherry picks the best people in their fields from the whole world and I am proud to be able to work together with world-class engineers! There are many (weekly+) knowledge sharing sessions, that allow you to keep up-to-date with the latest developments, not just within the company/own technology, but also in other fields.

The company has a strong vision for building the next-generation, smart database foundation that "tears down the traditional barriers between transactions and analytics, and that can process sophisticated planning, predictive analysis, and business logic in one unified, high-performance engine" and it's extremely motivating to work together with a team who believes in this vision.

There's also good transparency to the business, which relates to our mission and makes me feel confident in our product. The flat organizational structure allows for everyone, even new employees to have a major impact on our company, as everyone's ideas/feedback is welcomed and encouraged.

As people are spread out over 2 continents, there's always someone available to help or just have fun with in our chatrooms.

I love the fact that everybody really cares, feels responsible and wants to make a difference. It's a truly inspiring work environment.

Cons

The technology is full in development and therefore not yet mature on all fronts.

Working together with some colleague's is at times challenging, as there is up to 10 hours of time difference between some developers. People are always flexible, though, and try to make it work for each other.

Sweet gig

Current Employee - Computer Scientist
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LogicBlox is a really special organization. The people there are incredibly smart, and have
    (mostly) great technical taste. I learn something new from my colleagues almost every day.

Our work includes interesting problems that touch on deep issues in database theory and practice---e.g. efficient incremental maintenance of views and worst-case optimal join algorithms---and core programming languages problems---e.g. module systems and type inference. We're working in a logic programming setting that is new, different, and exciting compared with the standard programming environments. I've been encouraged to pursue academic collaborations and attend conferences.

Cons

We don't have all the fancy perks of Google.

The company has a great vision but struggles to translate it into a realistic roadmap.

I have been working at LogicBlox

Pros

The company is building its own platform from bottom (database) to top (interesting applications). The potential is obvious, and there are lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Strategy has not translated very well into a clear plan. Most employees operate in the dark. Application projects often fail due to changing scope or immature technology.

The company needs to pay more attention to setting context with employees, setting projects up to succeed. Pay more attention to culture, also -- management needs to respect employees more rather than trying to prove they are smarter than the employees.