Logicworks

4.4

Logicworks CEO Kenneth Ziegler
Kenneth Ziegler

Awesome company to work for! Highly recommend Logicworks

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Environment to work and great staff. Great place to learn. Constantly exposed to new technologies

Cons

nothing bad comes to mind. Logicworks is a great company.

Do the plusses outweigh the minuses? Possibly...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Logicworks full-time

Pros

Logicworks provided excellent exposure to new technologies, offered access to a unique and diverse customer base and appeared to have a solid business model. This was a great opportunity to see IT infrastructure implemented at a scale most engineers would never encounter. During my tenure, I was proud to have an impact on highly-visible systems and felt a sense of accomplishment knowing that Logicworks was a trusted business partner to important clients.

My coworkers were some of the most loyal and hardworking people I'd ever seen in an organization. This was true to a fault, in that most employees were not aware of their (tremendous) value on the open market. But *every* employee in my group went above and beyond in their efforts to support the company and customer base. Most staff had been with the firm for a long time and grew up within the organization.

Leadership in the C-suite was inspirational and the clear selling point for me the join the firm. The marketing and sales teams worked miracles, despite having constrained engineering resources to execute them.

Day-to-day and in-office culture was friendly; almost family-like. The staff generally worked well together, with some notable exceptions. There was minimal political maneuvering within the general employee ranks.

Cons

The issues with Logicworks stem from an abundance of tribal knowledge and poor management and employee-development practices.

Having such talented engineers and support staff breaks down when those staff are not following industry best-practices. There was an uncanny resistance to exploring larger industry trends and processes; with management opting to do things the way they've "always been done". I sensed tremendous mistrust of newer employees hired from the outside. Culture starts at the top, and this reluctance at the management layer impacted the client base, hurt system stability and consequently, the firm's reputation. I'd liken the rate of change and adoption of ideas to that of a large corporation; unreasonably conservative for a firm this small.

The hardest-working people were stretched thin and often burnt-out. Some of this was a matter of working hard, but not "working smart". Working smarter was feasible, but was hampered by a collective myopic view of information technology. There's a fair amount of "knowledge hoarding", with key information often residing with a single engineer who was always in the critical path of projects. Management was hands-off here and did little to address knowledge and communication barriers. Despite these faults, the sales and the client management teams picked up the pieces. The customers were surprisingly accepting of this.

My HR and management interactions were stressful and fraught with disappointment. From initial onboarding, to compensation, to handling expenses/taxes/benefits, reviews, company policy and even separation, the level of professionalism was far below what I've experienced in other positions. The management encounters were just plain contentious.

Strive to fix broken processes - Encourage better communication. Address toxic relationships! Every company has issues, but recognizing them is the first step in improving the workplace.

Support your employees - They are your greatest resource. Don't discount their feedback and concerns because the level of talent of the Logicworks staff is high enough that they *do* have other industry options.

Very satisfied, in it for the long haul!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Logicworks is by far the best organization I have worked for. There are plenty of opportunities for growth and you get to work with amazing talent! Work-life balance is great and the leadership team is always listening and acting on feedback. Logicworks is a "people first" company and this applies to both the employees and clients.

Cons

Would like to see options to invest into the company, or be provided stock/options as part of benefits package.

You guys are doing a fantastic job, please keep it up!

Best place to work ever

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So much exposure to everything, the management team are amazing, and the people are beyond compare.

Cons

Compensation is about on a level with most places, but who wouldn't like more money?

Great Atmosphere

I have been working at Logicworks full-time

Pros

I. Great place to learn and advance your career
    II. Very competent engineers who know their stuff and work hard
    III. Growing company that places employee morale as a priority
    IV. Opportunity for advancement

Cons

I think the company does a great job of balancing work and real-life. As the company continues to grow, I think it will be important to have company gatherings to instill a sense of motivation and also to serve as a means for everyone to get together and get to know one another a little better.

The company seems to be headed in the right direction. I think it's important to focus on the morale of the employees in order to keep everyone motivated and focused on the big picture.

Logicworks Response

Sep 19, 2014Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope you enjoyed our company gathering this past Tuesday. As a company, we get together each quarter to discuss where Logicworks is and where we're growing. You are ... More

Very smart engineers, passionate owner, lacks solid business direction

I worked at Logicworks full-time

Pros

Opportunity to constantly learn new technology. Exposure to the latest and greatest in hardware, cloud and hybrid with the chance to see new ideas before they hit the public market. Some of the leaders are incredibly talented, others more interested in job preservation than company success.

Employees overall care very much for clients and keeping them happy. As a customer you can't ask for a more passionate or talented partner vendor. You can hunt but you won't find one. As an employee, there is opportunity to grow internally up to a certain level. Management supports certifications and training. In the sales/bizdev arm there is a decent sense of camaraderie and the knowledge level is high.

Their marketing is great.

Cons

Multiple CEO changes within a few years. They have the right person now but not necessarily in other leadership positions or support staff. Top-level management is often tone-deaf. Sale commitments are often based on client requests rather than actual business capability, leaving engineers to figure out how to deliver. Luckily for everyone they usually do figure it out. The company is top-heavy and political alliances exist which is odd for such a small company. Workplace culture there is sometimes toxic, killing morale.

It's been treading water for the last few years and will continue to do so without vision in technology leadership and a sustainable sales model.

Logicworks Response

Sep 19, 2014Recruitment

First of all, thank you for your honest feedback.

I noticed you indicated you are a former employee - from the situation you describe it seems you could have worked here some time ago
    ... More

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get made fun of by my friends for actually looking forward to coming to work everyday. Logicworks is great not just for the content of the work but for the people and culture. Transparency and good relationships are emphasized at the company, and its great to feel that the work I do is valued and contextualized in the broader goal the company is working to achieve. The executive leadership is involved, present, and transparent in their plans. They also provide mentoring, guidance, and clear milestones to help ensure that both individuals and groups are hitting their marks successfully. Its great to be part of a growing business in an exciting and dynamic industry. The compensation and benefits are also pretty excellent.

Cons

As with any growing company, there are issues. However, whatever issues exist, they are dwarfed by the company prospects and potential for individual growth.

Keep doing what you're doing, and remember transparency breeds satisfaction.

I get up every morning and look forward to Logicworks

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing. Management not only listens to you but they come TO you for your opinion. The company is very generous and seems to genuinely care about morale and employee happiness. The work environment is extremely fun and the technology is fascinating, cutting edge stuff.

Cons

The customers can be difficult but that is any industry.

Keep up the good work.

Good company with various work areas

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Logicworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of technologies that you are able to use and play with, lots of good people to work with, lots of variety in day to day tasks.

Cons

It can be frustrating working with clients that have a lack of knowledge. Something else that is typical in this industry deadlines can be pretty tight.