Logitech
www.logitech.com Newark, CA 5000+ Employees

Logitech Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Bracken Darrell

Pros:
  • "Great health benefits and lots of flexibility for a good work/life balance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good benefits, work-life balance, better than industry salary"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "senior management seems to be out of refreshing ideas"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be better"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fairly new at Logitech, but I really like it!

Newark, CA

I have been working at Logitech full-time for less than a year

ProsBeen here almost a year, and I am very happy. Pros include working alongside really cool people in a flexible and casual work environment, with excellent benefits, and seemingly solid management that is trying really hard to steer the company in the right direction to long term stability and growth in a rapidly changing market (tablets/mobility and touchscreen are the future, PCs and mice going away, etc.).

ConsCompany has been shrinking to consolidate and maintain itself longterm for a strong future, so there've been a few reorgs and layoffs in the past year or two that have left people feeling a bit demoralized.

Challenged company with still some good $ resources + old-fashioned management

Not Disclosed (Former Employee)
Fremont, CA

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 8 years

Pros"Win" attitude. Smart people (but many leaving...). Still quite a solid cash position giving some flexibility to make the right choices.

ConsSeveral old-fashioned Sr. executives accountable for Logitech challenged situation are still in the company. Many new executives from very large companies make things worse (affect agility). Some of them are just average in their positions. Rising superstars already left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain top talents (top issue). Work-out a more solid turnaround strategy. Challenged core business requires more disruptive innovation in other areas + more risk-taking.

Lots of changes but nothing that points to any growth or strategy

Marketing Project Manager, GMO (Current Employee)
Newark, CA

I have been working at Logitech full-time for more than a year

ProsLogitech is a pretty easy place to work. Work hours are flexible, benefits are good, people are nice and the products are fun.

ConsThere is a serious lack of employee engagement which can make getting things done difficult and frustrating. This might be because the strategy keeps on changing. Or it could be because there are rarely key decision makers defined. Every decision seems to be rethought and then changed from the bottom all the way to the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to decide what type of company you want to be and then empower the correct employees to make it happen.

Friendly but not focused on long-term sustainability

Product Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice place to work. Friendly people, cool products, and don't have to work too hard. Brand is truly known around the world and this is a big untapped asset that still has potential.

Consthe company is not growing, is slowing shrinking, and many entrenched middle-managers are resistant to change. Still a conflict/dysfunction between centralized functions and regionalized sales structure.

Advice to Senior Managementstop believing your own aspirational goals and deal with the harsh reality of the market -- make the big cuts necessary to truly make the company long-term sustainable and stable.

A once great company struggling to re-define itself

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunity to work with talented product managers, designers and engineers who are extremely passionate about great product design. Logitech designs the best looking, feeling and functioning peripherals, bar none. This being said, to quote former CEO Guerrino De Luca "we are cooks not farmers." In other words, Logitech is good at marrying technologies with exquisite human interface. It is not particularly good at inventing new technologies.
The company, traditionally, has been good at riding the waves though sometimes it gets there too early. Example: it invented Spotlight five years too early before broadband had reached critical mass. Five years later, YouTube came along at the right time.
Logitech offers a highly multicultural work environment giving you the opportunity to work with interesting people from all over the world and travel to company sites across multiple continents (role dependent).
Historically, the company treated its employees very well and morale was high. Though this has changed dramatically in recent years.

ConsSince the company has fallen on hard times in the past few years the employees have come to feel less and less like the company had their best interest in mind. As a result morale and employee loyalty have dropped significantly.
While Logitech has designed and produced great products over the years, and has been good at catching waves, it typically has not been particularly good in developing new markets. Investment in marketing and brand development have been lacking.
Management over the last 7 years focused on too many opportunities. As a result it missed the opportunity to focus on a select few at the right time.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've laid off enough people now. Presumably you have or are about to hit bottom. Pick a "couple" of opportunities and double down on them. If one of them is mobile music devices, which I believe it is, then you'll need to quadruple down on it as your competition is already investing tons and has been for years now.

Director of Business Development

Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLogitech designs outstanding hardware peripherals for PCs and mobile platforms in terms of look, feel and function.
Opportunity to work with very talented engineers and product managers.
Chance to work in a highly multi-cultural environment both in the U.S. and sites worldwide.

ConsLogitech continues to go through hard times. Ongoing softness in the PC market has resulted in continued depressed sales of PC peripherals, Logitech's core business.
As a result it has become a rather stressful place to work, especially owing to several rounds of layoffs which have occurred over the past year.
Logitech tends to invest in products but not sufficiently in sustained marketing programs for market development or to compete effectively against entrenched players.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain laser focus and invest in marketing and brand building in growth businesses (e.g. wearable and portable devices for music; Logitech for Business). BTW, Guerrino De Luca is no longer the CEO. It's Bracken Darrell who took over in January of 2013. Hence my rating below refers to him, not Guerrino.

Great place to work, but struggling to find their way in the marketplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat group of people. Easy environment with good benefits. Maybe even too easy, as the results show.

ConsStruggling in the market. Sr Executive leadership is not inspirational.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop passion and push people.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Logitech full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvery supportive management, good work-life balance, good benefits, highly competent co-workers, interesting projects,

Consdeclining industry (PC accessories), Logitech has been struggling to find a new product line to take on the profitable big role that the declining mouse/keyboard business is beginning to leave

Advice to Senior Managementfind the new "mouse". Take more risks, not so much with big investments, but with new technology.

A good company at heart, but some serious transitional problems. Unstable. Beware.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at Logitech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Salary and Benefits, generally interesting work.

ConsCompany is struggling to adapt to a market where PCs are second fiddle.

They have a pretty disastrous marketing-based approach to developing new product, so be aware you are may be entirely beholden to some marketing person who dictates how you do your job. If that person is good, it's fine. If they suck, it can be a miserable slog dealing with someone who has a mediocre grasp of the product.

In general, I do not see the company taking the steps necessary to survive and grow. After the google TV fiasco, they cut a lot of fat and are trying to re-entrench themselves in some core businesses--and add a new line of mobile products--but there are no long-term growth prospects in mice/keyboards/webcam/speakers/etc, because the PC market as a whole is evaporating (not to mention those are all commodity markets at this point). Company has a mobile initiative that is good, but too little, too late, IMO, and consistently hampered by people stuck in 2007. Lastly, some of the businesses they're divesting are--IMO--better opportunities for the company (in part because they are complimentary to mobile), but maybe there's some business logic there I don't follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like a startup. Start moving quickly. Realize--and act on the realization--that you cannot fall back on your existing markets. No amount of innovation is going to bring keyboards, mice and webcams back from the dead in a world of laptops and tablets.

End your marketing driven approach, start making your engineers first-class citizens in the design of new product. The company marginalizes some of its brightest.

Bully management getting in the way of new product development

I have been working at Logitech full-time

ProsCompany has some excellent people with great ideas. New products, especially those in the new mobility area show great promise.

ConsHowever certain product groups neglect their primary focus of developing quality products within cost parameters and instead reach to other departments where they have no expertise and run havoc.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some backbone and get rid of power hungry product development heads and show the rest of the company that company performance comes ahead of personalities.

Worked for Logitech? Contribute to the Community!

Logitech – Why Work for Us?

Focused on innovation and quality, Logitech designs personal peripherals to help people enjoy a better experience with the digital world. We started in 1981 with mice, which (new at the time) provided a more intuitive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Logitech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Logitech CEO Bracken Darrell . All 168 reviews posted anonymously by Logitech employees.