Logitech

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Logitech President and Chief Executive Officer Bracken Darrell
Bracken Darrell

Pros
  • I like the level of work I'm assigned, and I appreciate a very good work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Logitech has a very strong history of innovation and great products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is thing that seizes to exist in this company (in 8 reviews)

• Poor senior management, more interested in personal importance than really growing the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

STRONGLY NOT recommending working at the Finance department

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Logitech full-time

Pros

50% employee discount. The company make some very cool products.

Cons

Strongly not recommending working at the Logitech Finance department. Can not say too much right now, because I still need the job before getting out of here. Plus the CEO encourages employees to leave good reviews about the company.

If there were any culture change happening, it was getting worse.

Good company, sub par management alignment. Too many Directors/VP's.....

I worked at Logitech

Pros

On site cafeteria, location and Halloween for certain! By far the best Halloween at any company I've been with. Really cool products that I still use today.

Cons

In a big company like Logitech, it is difficult to effect meaningful change without having to go through so many roadblocks. Salaries are low. Middle managers do not promote their employees, most are also not open to suggestions. This company would benefit from 360 review process.

Great place to work at---especially for an intern!

Current Employee - Intern in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Newark, CA

I have been working at Logitech as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I look forward to coming to my internship everyday, which sounds kind of weird! That says a lot, especially since it's a far commute. Compared to my previous internship at another tech company, Logitech treats me a lot better. My opinions and ideas actually get heard without much bureaucracy. The open office space, which I thought I would hate, is actually not too bad.

The internship program is pretty sweet too. Each week, the program hosts Lunch and Learns where they invite senior executives to come speak and share awesome prototypes. On top of that, they are planning about 3-4 off-site activities, which includes pay! We are going to the SF Giants game next week and I'm super stoked! We also get showered with Logitech swag and other fun exciting giveaways.

My manager also takes time to check on me without micromanaging. Trust me, I have had my share of that at previous internships and I was so happy this department doesn't do that. Logitech is not a cut-throat company, nor is it "very corporate" either. I love this start-up and small company atmosphere!

Logitech also hosts a series of fun events! Yesterday, they invited Baskin Robbins to come over and deliver ice cream.

Cons

I wish there was free food, but the cafeteria isn't that bad either! Logitech should also host workshops for management training and technical skills too. This would be a huge hit and I would definitely join, especially as an inter.

I have only been here for a little bit, but I can already feel a great positive improvement in company culture! Please continue the great transparency, especially among the high executives. It's always nice seeing them at the cafeteria, or walking down the halls so casually.

The worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I worked at Logitech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting products. Most of my immediate team members were fantastic- but almost all are looking for new jobs.

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever worked for- and I came here from a company voted Worst Company in America two years in a row. Wholly incompetent leadership at the C-level that trickles down. I've heard it said that A-level people hire A-level people- but B and C level people hire C and D level people in order to feel superior to someone, and the latter is definitely the work culture here. A lot of rhetoric about "acting like a start-up"- an impossibility for a 30+ year old company, especially one that does not offer the benefits or perks of working for a start-up- at an offsite, we were told that we were all expected to work long hours and wear multiple hats (with no equity or other start-up benefits). Upper management in fact does not know what acting like a start up means: in a recent blog post from the CEO, he mentioned that from a recent momentum survey it seemed like a lot of people were confused about what that meant- and that at the leadership level THEY knew what it meant- but what did WE think it meant? This pretty transparently signaled that they didn't know- and were in fact crowdsourcing from their own employees for cues. We were recently moved to an awful open-office configuration, which the C-level seemed to spend more time on than fixing actual company problems. We were also fed the line that it was to make more collaboration possible- my team in fact got moved further away from each other in the new arrangement, whereas we'd been able to turn around and talk to each other when we were in cubes, we now could no longer even see each other. The open-office arrangement was actually a cost-cutting solution to get all employees into one building but fed to us as some sort of start-up culture garbage.

I have also never worked anywhere where politics were as fully and awfully transparent. Many individuals are clearly only interested in their own advancement and perceived "power". I had to work with people who clearly did not have the skill-set or basic competence for their positions and ended up doing extra work to clean up after them- they had only been hired or promoted due to being some executive's pet as their only work skills appeared to be making an executive feel important. In addition, management frequently makes questionable and illogical decisions. Those who question these decisions with logic, metrics, or even common sense are moved to other business units, demoted, or laid off.

The work hours are awful due to working with all regions across the world and being expected to conform to their schedules. It is not uncommon in one day to have a 6am meeting with Europe that you need to be in the office for, and an 8pm meeting with Asia, and to be called multiple times on the weekend in the middle of the night by Asia.

Employees are very obviously extremely demotivated, depressed, and looking for new jobs. As I had always loved Logitech products before going to work there, it saddened me greatly to see the reality of how awful things actually were in the company. I only worked there a year and saw many great coworkers depart, and also 6 layoffs, many of which were conducted secretly and subversively, and not communicated out (in one meeting I mentioned a process may be slower due to someone being laid off two weeks ago, only to have almost everyone in the room express surprise- "No wonder he hasn't been replying to my emails!")

Additionally, towards the end of my time there, I was told that I had been expected to have been doing a whole other completely different job that I did not even have an applicable skill-set or experience in, in addition to the job I was already doing despite the fact that it had never been communicated to me (and it was acknowledged that this was never communicated to me- apparently psychic powers are also something employees at Logitech are supposed to have). Thankfully this was around the time I already knew I had an offer from a better company coming- but if there ever was a nail in the coffin, that was it. I would never recommend anyone go work here. In fact, when I was leaving, a friend went to go interview here despite my advice to her not to (she was hoping a different business group would not have the same issues I was experiencing) and immediately afterward she told me I had been right, and that the dysfunction and toxicity of the work environment had been readily apparent from one on-site interview alone.

I whole-heartedly do not recommend anyone go work here and hope that members of my team will all be successful in their current job-searches.

Management needs a complete rehaul as the current C-level is not equipped in any way to effectively handle a turnaround. Stop wasting time on lying to your employees about start-up culture and open-office spaces- spend time on fixing the contentious relationship between regions, stop making the business units compete against each other, and fix the horrible problems in procurement. Stop promoting brown-nosing people who have not demonstrated applicable job skills. In fact- the board should just outright replace the entire C-level.

Great products

I worked at Logitech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products, great people, great travel

Cons

busy busy busy, travel sometimes too much

keep going with the changes

Unsure of their future direction. For now, still a mouse company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Logitech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very casual atmosphere, healthy balance sheet, trying to adapt to the modern tech world. Benefits are good, and vacation time is competitive. You can learn a lot here that will help you at your next job.

Cons

Logitech recently changed the Newark office environment to an "open office", which basically means no offices, no cubes. Everyone sits in rows of 30" x 60" tables, with a rolling file cabinet. This is supposed to help us collaborate, but it is noisy, distracting and depressing. It was actually done to reduce leased space.

The mantra here is small company, big products. This means that each person is getting more responsibility, as head count is reduced. Work/life balance is terrible. Actually taking vacation time is almost impossible. Most people I work with have maxed their vacation days and are burning them because they can't take time off.

Logitech is multinational and will shift every task to Asia if possible, so expect to work long hours to work in multiple time zones.

Logitech needs to be a more aggressive competitor.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Newark, CA

I have been working at Logitech as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great team of people who help you learn and grow. Your ideas are listened to and used for future projects. It is so nice to finally be heard. Small company feel with big company products!

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about Logitech. Thoroughly enjoying my time here.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Very mixed bag

I have been working at Logitech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stock price has increased a lot in the last year (but is it just cost cutting?); cool music products; truly global company; people take pride in our products

Cons

Phony culture change - posters have changed, but little else; frequent layoffs; lack of career development; no lack of internal politics, despite the claim that this has changed; training does not exist at all; budgets are under extreme scrutiny, which makes everything more bureaucratic and burdensome

bring more and better talent in the door!

Downhill From Here

Former Employee - Director in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Newark, CA

I worked at Logitech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting products, great people, until Google TV fiasco. Since then, it's been all downhill.

Cons

Long-term, inexperienced management. Poor senior management, more interested in personal importance than really growing the company.

Replace the entire senior level. Strengthen the board with some active members who really care.

it was ok

I have been working at Logitech

Pros

it was an ok place to work. I will not work there again. Will not recommend. The management is bad.