Logos Bible Software

Updated November 20, 2014
4.4

Logos Bible Software President & CEO Bob Pritchett
Bob Pritchett

Pros
  • Logos is a growing organization, has incredibly talented employees, does meaningful and exciting work, and offers a very flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Outdoor Center: bike storage and tools, use of outdoor equipment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment at Logos is strange (in 4 reviews)

• Minimally competitive employee health insurance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great product, great people, poor management

Former Employee - Marketing Team in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Team in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working on the product and enjoyed serving the customers. The bulk of the product is, after all, the Bible and associated literary products (in electronic form). The other aspect of the company product is its proprietary software to access digital stories of electronic books. The software is fantastic and a great aid to research and study, especially of philosophical, humanities, and religious texts. I can’t praise the software enough. And the customers are people I enjoy and have a lot of compassion for: academics, community leaders, pastors, ministers, and students.

As for the work culture, my coworkers and peers were largely awesome. I worked in the marketing department, so there were lots energetic, young people getting lots of marketing stuff done and there were always opportunities for great discussions. The free coffee and espresso was a huge boon, as well as the access to voluminous stores of always cold beverages (I had more than one liquid lunch consisting of a very large glass of free V8 juice!)

Cons

However, the free espresso, colas, and juices are a sop to the workers. Yes, it’s fantastic I don’t have to subsist on water, but what would really make the workplace shine is some sense that management actually cares about individual employees and is willing to help them grow. However (at least on the marketing side of the company), were were told “You should thrive on stress. Stress is an opportunity to rise to a challenge.” This is fine if the stress is merely about workload or a challenging problem. But when the stress is, “Is today the day I’m getting fired?” it’s simply not healthy. You are expected to sing your own PR—constantly—management will not notice, care, or promote you without extensive self-promotion—and there is little regard as to whether your self promotion is at anyone else’s expense.

The marketing department has become extremely heavy: I’ve worked at firms that made 4x the annual revenue with literally 1/4 the marketing staff. The overall marketing strategy seems to be: Flog the whales who buy our product until they die. The old-school marketing blasts always generate revenue… from the same customers. Every. Single. Time. Growing their customer base will require a new kind of long-tail marketing approach that LBS is simply unable to embrace right now.

For a company that markets religious product, it is a remarkably unreligious environment. On one hand, this is good: it means that there’s no bickering over theology or church practice. On the other hand, there was not a single meeting that ever opened or closed in prayer. There was never a sense that the actual Gospel enterprise was ever considered. The dollar is the top line, the bottom line, and everything in between. You would do well to memorize this mantra: What have you earned for me lately? If you work in the marketing side of the company and cannot tie your work directly to a significant dollar figure, you will be let go.

There is very little or no transparency in the termination process. When I was let go, I was given no warning, no opportunity to change any behaviors that were not liked, and I was given no feedback during the exit interview as to what I might have done to offend management. This is also the case for coworkers I know who were also let go summarily.

As an employee, I never felt management valued me, my contributions, or my input.

Finally: You will need to cover your family’s healthcare insurance. Be prepared to deduct $500-$1K from your monthly salary to cover that.

Your business ecosystem depends on product, customers *and* employees. We give of our time, talent, and energy to help you succeed. Monetary rewards are not the only kinds of compensation that make working for you worth it: Giving us an annual picnic, free beverages, and a trip to the theater now and then are mere sops.

Having a sense of mission and purpose beyond the bottom line of profit (and lining your pockets) would go a long way toward helping us maintain our passion on your behalf.

Good Company, Expensive City & Healthcare

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company, it's pretty easy to jump in and understand the culture and company priorities. Expectations are clear and there are tangible metrics and a good amount of feedback whether you're doing your job well or not.

The culture is laid-back and is pretty flexible. I love having unlimited time off, free coffee and drinks etc.

Compensation is fair from my perspective. Very much on par with other companies.

Company seems to be very transparent and the CEO is more than willing to talk to anyone. This is refreshing. I really feel like leadership tries hard to live out it's own values.

Cons

There is a cost to work here; if you have a family you can just assume that you will want to explore alternative healthcare options for your spouse and your kids. To expensive to go through Logos. There are options, we made it work.

The area is pretty expensive too. To live close to work, you'll spend more than 250k for a decent home. If you're willing to live farther out, it's not as bad.

In terms of the company, being a culture that changes rapidly and starts and kills projects fast you'll have to get used to shifting focus constantly. Which for some, it's great. For others it can be overwhelming.

Great People, Great Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people working here. They make the job!
    - Unlimited Vacation
    - Flexible work Schedule
    - Awesome workspace
    - Fair compensation
    - Manager is Awesome (In my dept.)
    - Team leaders are Awesome. (In my dept.)
    - Lots of Freedom and Trust
    - Skill level of co-workers is great. (Makes me better at what I do)

Cons

- No health benefits for spouse/children
    - Work content is often boring with bits of excitement.
    - CEO can be a bit harsh with criticism.
    - At times, quantity trumps quality
    - Process for approval is tedious and micro-managed.

At Logos you get to work with amazing people on projects that matter!

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO is a visionary leader who sets the pace for the company culture (He's like the Steve Jobs of Bible Software). I appreciate how transparent Bob is, I've never worked for a CEO quite like him. His brother is the VP of Marketing who is a brilliant fellow with a wonderfully dry sense of humor and a big heart. I really appreciate these two. All of the managers are also incredible. Needless to say the leadership is sharp and passionate about the work.

There is a great emphasis on company culture with freedom to do great work. Tons of perks like free coffee & soda, an outdoor center with lots of cool stuff, and more.

If you are lucky enough to work on the design team you'll find yourself working with some of the most talented people in the country. Everyday they inspire me and they've been a huge part of my personal and professional growth!

I've never worked somewhere with such awesome people across the board in every department. It's really an incredible.

You get to equip people with powerful tools that make the Word come to life.

Cons

You will work with people who aren't perfect. Crazy huh?

Sometimes the FREE espresso machine will break down and you have to walk over to one of the other buildings that all have FREE espresso machines to get your caffeine fix! ;)

Even though it's a fun work environment it's still work and sometimes you are challenged to work on projects you aren't particularly interested in. It is the same anywhere you work.

I feel that I'm compensated fairly for the most part, I think it's normal to feel like you deserve a raise when you work hard and see successes that bring in decent revenue. At the same time I realize that's what I was hired to do.

Cost of living in Bellingham is high for such a small town.

Sadly some people will complain, look at the Isrealites while they were being lead out of slavery. Just keep casting the vision. Keep loving people. Keep rewarding hard work. Keep pushing forward as an industry leader.

Give the project managers in marketing some extra special love because they have one of the most challenging jobs in my opinion. They're all amazing!

Intern: Learned a lot. Worked a lot.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The intern program was very well organized, even to the point where every intern had a mentor that worked full time at the company. Was given plenty of work to do and was helped along when needed.

Cons

Most interns were placed on projects where they have no experience in. Such as a backend developer is placed on project working with the front end of an application. Would have been better to place people where they were strongest in.

Good people working on some boring stuff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time

Pros

There are lots of smart people who work here, and all pretty easy to get along with.

Cons

Over the last couple years I've grown to disagree with the direction the company is going, investing a lot into projects I don't think anyone outside or inside the company will actually use. They feel like pet projects gone awry. I can understand the desire to expand into new markets, but nobody inside the company is excited about these new things.

There is also a meritocracy problem among the development team. Of course, having good performance is good, but Logos seems more interested in developers who live to work rather that work to live. This is probably also related to a problem they have giving good feedback to employees on their performance.

Stick with what you're good at, and don't burn out developers on projects that nobody is actually interested in working on. Give better feedback on employee performance, don't leave them guessing what the standards are.

Oct 3, 2014CEO/President

I'm sorry you didn't like the direction -- or that the whole strategy wasn't clear enough. It's true we're working on a lot of projects. We have a big-picture strategy that involves building out a ... More

Unique company that was a successful startup

I have been working at Logos Bible Software

Pros

Fun environment and the staff are very nice.
    Nice facilities. Free soda.

Cons

No stock options.
    Salary is ok.

More communication from management

Oct 3, 2014CEO/President

Thanks for calling us a startup! I still think of us that way, but it's been so long (23 years!) that few others do. Sorry about the lack of stock options: those are a tool of funded companies that ... More

Best place I have worked

Current Employee - National Conference Speaker in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - National Conference Speaker in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees really look out for and care for each other.
    Freedom and flexibility to chart your own career path.
    Cutting edge tools and technology to work with.

Cons

If you like structure and specific guidelines, you will not like Logos.
    Dependent insurance too expensive.

Work on the dependent insurance

Oct 3, 2014CEO/President

I'm glad you like working here! The insurance issue is a tough one. I don't know if you were here when the big explanation of our strategy was sent out by email; I'll post it on the wiki. I'd also ... More

Challenging, yet highly rewarding.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Logos Bible Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* The work you do helps spread the Gospel.
    * Get to work on exciting technology with incredibly talented people.
    * The work environments and benefits are fantastic.
    * Competitive compensation.
    * Unlimited time off.
    * The coffee is amazing.

Cons

It's been discussed at length in the past by people more informed than me, but it'd be nice to have a health care option that was subsidized for families, rather than having to rely on Obamacare for spouse + kids (not a deal breaker, though).

It might be an interesting idea to have senior developers on certain teams create brief tutorial videos on certain internal systems to help get newer employees up to speed and transfer tribal knowledge more quickly and efficiently.

Not a bad place

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Logos Bible Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment. ping pong tables.

Cons

Religious, micro managing, nothing else

Dont be so religious