Loma Linda University Medical Center

Updated December 3, 2014
3.5

Loma Linda University Medical Center President & CEO Richard H. Hart, MD, DrPH
Richard H. Hart, MD, DrPH

Pros
  • Employee benefits are great and there is always opportunity for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Good health insurance and tuition benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately LLUMC does not value their employees for their hard work they put in through out the years to the company (in 5 reviews)

• High-turnover is experienced due to an array of internal problems (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Loma Linda Nutrition Services is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Diet Technician in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Diet Technician in Loma Linda, CA

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, friendly family like department, rewarding job with optimal work load, challenging but do-able. In the process of making changes to improve patient satisfaction.

Cons

Pay may not be as high as other equivalent positions, sometimes doing extra work due to limited staffing and turnover of jobs

Hire replacements sooner.

Excellent education.

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center

Pros

Well established, and keeps up with leading research

Cons

Religious, have to go to chapel once a week.steffinator117

Seeing Improvement

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Loma Linda, CA

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits and contrary to what others have said I am quite happy with my salary. Kaiser offered me a job, but with a lower salary and that job was a per Diem position. So I was expecting Kaiser to offer me 15% higher pay because of no benefits. Pros also are plenty of time off when you need any vacation. Very good Differential pay. The best I have ever received anywhere I have worked.

Cons

Not much career advancement for staff that has the experience and the tenure here.

Maybe not so much micro management.. Try not to have favoritism.

Overall positive experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loma Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loma Linda, CA

I worked at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are kind and nice to work with. Mission and values are well taught, and mostly well demonstrated. Health benefits are great. Lots of opportunities for employee engagement and training.

Cons

Though trainings are available, there is rarely room for career development or advancement. Pay and raises are not competitive. HR is a little disorganized, resulting in a longer hiring process.

Invest in growing your employees. Employee engagement activities need to be followed through with more opportunities for structured career development.

A Positive Experience

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Loma Linda, CA

Pros

Working in this organization is a "family experience". Its also a Christian institution.

Cons

The pay is not as well as in the larger city hospitals

Overworked, vastly underpaid, disappointed by culture and management.

Current Employee - RN -
    Current Employee - RN -

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time

Pros

As a level 1 trauma center, RNs can get good experience and training, which can form the foundation for your new resume... to much better paying opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

- Salary is a huge issue. LLUMC does not value its employees at all. I've never been quite sure how they get away with having non-competitive salaries for all of their employees, but compared to other area hospitals, pay is about 1/3 less, as another reviewer said. I have friends at area hospitals with less education than I have, and the same amount of experience, in the same specialty, who make 10$/hr + more than I do. Having a bachelor's gets you something like an extra 10 CENTS an hour when compared to RNs with associate degrees. It might help you move into management faster, but management makes maybe a couple dollars more an hour, and from what I've heard, being in management is more work without the accompanying raise, so a lot of people don't even want to go into management. We get told by management all the time that raises are "Coming soon" (the last raise we got was something like 4 cents an hour), but don't feel bad folks, they are recognizing our hard work by handing out raffle tickets and putting our names on a "thank you for you hard work!" board... hey, you can get a packet of M&Ms with that. Yes, that totally makes up for the 20k deficit in my salary.

- Directly related to salary is the turnover. People come for the experience and training, and then leave, because they can make a lot more elsewhere. LLUMC pays for the training, only to watch that training walk right out the door. If the pay were comparable, people would be more inclined to stay, thus reducing the revolving door issue and actually saving money. Really, HR, take a look at the numbers. Look at how much it costs to train us...then look at how much it costs to keep us. The turnover problem causes a multitude of problems, one of which is a huge shortage of personnel and therefore a lot of people having mandatory extra shifts, but also the fact that the RNs on the floor aren't as experienced as they could be. So then the new hires are being trained by people who were very recently considered new hires... it's the blind leading the blind. Keep your employees, keep the experience, and the patient care will be better, your employees won't be on the verge of burning out, and overall things will improve. Recognize that a lot of us have loans to pay off, bills to pay, families to take care of, etc. Basic cost/benefit analysis will cause us to go to the place that pays 20 or 30k more a year.

- Also directly related to salary is patient safety. How, you might ask, does patient safety relate to salary? There are all the obvious reasons...overworked, underpaid nurses with patient ratios that shouldn't be legal. But mostly I'm talking about management's "cost cutting" ideas that basically involve asking RNs to do more for the same amount of (very little) money, most of which either 1) hamper the RNs ability to take care of the patient or 2) put the patient into an unsafe environment because, hey, the faster we do xyz or get patients in/out increases LLUMC's profits (again, none of which manages to filter down to the employees who work their collective butts off). If I give any specifics regarding the specific "cost cutting" measures, it will give away my department, so unfortunately I can't, but when we all walk out of a meeting with our jaws wide open in shock, it's a problem. Another random note regarding patient safety... we have some of the most outdated equipment ever. People from other hospitals come over and are in shock that we still use xyz and haven't upgraded. Where is all the profit that isn't going into helping keep the employees going? The gold plated models of the futuristic hospital?

- Due to the salary/turnover issue, LLU is forced to hire registry/traveller RNs etc. They make a LOT more than actual employees. In my department, a non-licensed registry hire is making more than a licensed employee with education and actual potential dedication to the institution. This causes a lot of bitterness among the actual employees (in addition to the standard salary unhappiness).

- HR/management does not listen to your concerns, ignores problems with certain employees, and does not hold to the mission/values that are advertised. HR is supposed to protect employees...it absolutely does not. As a victim of workplace bullying, verbal abuse, slander, and things that would get most perpetrators fired at other institutions, I went to HR/management and was not taken seriously. Like another reviewer said, I was also told not to "rock the boat" and to just put up with it, despite the perpetrator having a long track record of similar incidents (as reported to me by management/HR) and myself having provided extensive documentation of multiple incidents with witnesses. All I did was put myself on management's radar as being a "troublemaker". Allegedly, there is a no retaliation policy for making HR complaints, but that is never enforced, and so the bullying and verbal abuse continues. Other employees are, in general, afraid to speak up about problems, because some of us have seen people do so only to be wrongfully terminated. If you have a problem, don't expect it to be addressed.

- SDA workplace that is smothering to anyone not SDA (and even some people who are). If you aren't SDA, you aren't part of the "in" crowd. You WILL be indoctrinated. You WILL be discriminated against. SDA employees are given preferential treatment...raises, promotions, and management will overlook just about anything, including bullying or being late. Go to your manager with a problem, get told to pray about it, a personal story about how they took Jesus Christ into their hearts and are now saved. I don't really think that applies to most of the issues, not to mention, I'm not SDA, and quite frankly I don't want to be forced to bow my head in prayer at the beginning of every work day. And since a lot of the people who are SDA are just reading facebook until the end of devotional, let us use that time wisely instead of following a course of indoctrination.

- There are cliques, and the amount of drama is astounding.

- Benefits are horrible. For medical, even if you choose to pursue treatment within the LLU system, the copays are ridiculous. And if you end up outside the LLU system, you're screwed. If you get sick while outside of Loma Linda... too bad, so sad. You'll go bankrupt. If you are lucky enough to have medical benefits through your spouse, you don't have to worry about this, but otherwise, you're driving in from who knows where to go to the LLU urgent care/emergency room/doctor's office because otherwise it might as well not be covered. Dental hardly covers anything but the standard 2 cleanings per year. Company match to the 403b is minimal, not to mention that it is run by Adventist Healthcare Retirement Plans, which offers only a couple of investment choices. As for time off... you don't start accruing any until after 90 days, after which you can't even USE the "sick leave" until you've exceeded something like 100 hours accrued.

- Parking is impossible.

- The cafeteria is over priced even with the "employee discount", even if the food was palatable (it is not). Look forward to no salt, no caffeine, and no meat. If you don't want a scone, and you aren't SDA, you're SOL.

- Clocking: Clock in early, get in trouble. Clock in late, get in trouble (unless you're a favored SDA child). The amount of time wasted by people hovering around the little clocking computers waiting for exactly 0630 (or whatever) could be better utilized elsewhere. And, honestly, it's a patient safety issue when you're in the middle of doing something important and then whoops, pardon me, I have to sprint to the nearest clock and badge myself in/out. It is also expected that you clock out for lunch and then continue working. And for some reason, if you don't get a lunch at all, although legally you're supposed to fill out a form and be compensated for that time, it's highly discouraged by management. Any and all excuses will be given and you can expect an interrogation, even though it's not your fault. The clocking system is pretty much designed to screw you out of as much money as possible.

- Summary: Come in, get your experience, get out. Otherwise, you'll end up so depressed, frustrated, upset, and unable to pay off your loans, that you'll go crazy from the anxiety.

See above.

Mediocre opportunities for professional growth and development

Former Employee - Human Resource Professional in Loma Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Professional in Loma Linda, CA

I worked at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, nice co-workers,

Cons

Low compensation, micro-management, no professional development

Great place for experience

Current Employee - LVN in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Loma Linda, CA

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and team work

Cons

Not paid enough for your hard work.

Good Place to work and gain experience

Current Employee - Maintenance in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Loma Linda, CA

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the enviroment.

Cons

Pay is a little under what other big medical centers pay.

N/A

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Loma Linda University Medical Center

Pros

Benefits are great
    Location is great

Cons

Hiring process is long
    Pay isn't that great