London Underground

Mike Brown

long hard years....

Engineer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosgreat pension , great people, great wages.

Consoffice politics are shocking, only way for a promotion is a bit of brown nosing, something i will never do.

Advice to Senior Managementsort out and action your staffs P&D plans... because your overlooking alot of great people.

No two days are ever the same.

Train Driver (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLondon Underground is the perfect example of how a multi-cultural society should be. Every employee is treated with the same kind of respect regardless of his or her sex, race, sexuality etc. They also have a huge range of benefits for its employees and have bodies in place to assist its employees with all kinds of personal and professional issues/concerns that they may have.

ConsLondon undergrounds quest to be the fairest employer can result in its employees taking advantage of it. A good example is its attendance policy which can easily be abused by some employees.

5 star company that values it's staff.

Station Supervisor (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVariety, and a rich slice of life every day.Good working relationship with staff on the station and a strong teamwork ethic.

ConsThe customers are well the customers.,Working with an aged infrastructure is a challenge.Management and their lack of understanding of local issues and the general 'sword of damuclesse' hanging over our heads with 'fit for future'(NOTHING)

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to us rather than trying to steam roll through the changes that we all know will come.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brief personal view of the frontline of London underground.

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood amount of annual leave approximatley 10 weeks.
    Free travel.
    No work to take home.
    Helping a great range of people.
    There is a opportunity within the company but could be better especially for a large organisation.

ConsCan get boring and reptitive day in and day out.
    Winter can be uncomfortable as you may work in cold stations.
    Working alone while supervisor is hidden warmly away.
    Shift work can be tough especially as many staff work 7 days in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo review the 7 day roster.
    Allow flexibilty of annual leave if possible.
    Feed the staff who are hungry to learn and make the best out of their careers at London Underground therefore increase opportunities to learn and develop skills.

Work for the money.......

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pension
    free travel
    Work comrades/ Friends

ConsManagers propaganda
    Unsocial hours
    shift working
    weekend and bank holiday working

Advice to Senior ManagementStop leaking little snippets of info via the GSM to unsettle staff and cause them unnecessary stress.
    Be open an honest with staff when they have questions about their families future.

I only worked for London Underground for a couple of years before being transferred to Alstom.

Duty Manager Training (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThere was always a bond between railway workers and they look after each other. Although I worked for Alstom I still kept my Underground passes etc.. so was still accepted as part of the system. Certainly without discounts on travel the job would not have been a practical proposition.

ConsTravelling into London every day can be frustrating at times, but acceptable if your working location is easy to get to. When they send you the opposite side of London to where you live it becomes a drag.
    I joined the Underground from British Aerospace as a depot trainer and this continued with Alstom, but the Underground was a better company to work for as they did try and work with you rather than make you do things.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best advice to be given to management is to listen to the staff and get their help before making changes. If someone says "We tried that 10 years ago and it didn't work", then listen and not insist it will work this time.
    Contracting work out is not always a good idea as the control is lost and you pay more for the required quality.
    I left Alstom in 2008 but retired at 65 in 2010

Awesome.

CSA (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsMoney, 10 week holiday, final pension, free travel.

Consthe shift work, can be lonely.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more flexible.

extremely satisfying and rewarding

Group Station Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe shift work can be downer and means you can't always have quality time with family but the rewards of working with people, if you are a peoples person is extremely rewarding and teh ebenfits teh company provides is amongst the best

Consit can get very frustrating when people are not being managed propelry and you see people/ staff taking home pay that they ahve not earned. then when soemone tries to do soemthing, the red tape, politics and unions place so many barriers that its worse than 'safeguarding' for children. the staff are better protected then our children.

Advice to Senior Managementcut the red tape, dont be frightened of unions and do what's right for your employees and londoners and not what the red tape says

Hard Work

Station Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay and benefits package. Very inclusive company that looks after its employees pretty well

ConsWorking as front line operational staff you can be subject to a lot of abuse from customers who have had a bad day. Because of the small amount of staff turnover and the difficulty in cutting out the dead wood you do find that some staff treat the company as if it owes them everything while they feel they don't owe the company at all and do as little as they can get away with and generally take liberties

Advice to Senior ManagementLets sort out a better policy when it comes to the lazy employees and a way to deal with them more effectively

Worked for 10 years now medically retired

Train Operator (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsEnjoyed driving trains, met some lovely people - other staff and passengers - medically retired with better pension than I expected after only 10 years.

ConsSome idiot managers, other staff and passengers but, sadly, mostly some managers. I met one particularly nasty one who actually turned his back on me rather than answer an reasonable question (I wasn't brow-beating, shouting or being unreasonable). I did the only thing left to me to do (bar hit him!)...I walked out. I'm a reasonable person and expect others to be reasonable with me...particularly in a position of authority and wo/man management. I don't think people like this should be protected and promoted by LUL but there seems to be an atmosphere of ignoring complaints about such people. We can only hope that karma will take care of them and those who protect will, eventually, turn. Give me honesty and fairness any day. Thankfully when I was medically retired the manager I dealt with for that was lovely and caring.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop covering up for poor management whether that takes the form of incompetence or poor wo/man management. Staff are people too and often intelligent ones at that so treating them as idiots will only rile. I'm not overstating this, I've seen it and even been on the receiving end of it.

Worked for London Underground? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at London Underground reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for London Underground CEO Mike Brown. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by London Underground employees.