Lone Star College

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

CEO

Pros
  • The work/life balance was great (in 5 reviews)

• As a current student, you get to have flexible hours and a decent pay check as well by the end of the semester (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • HR changed the policy to where you cannot get a full time position without a bachelor's degree (in 9 reviews)

• part-time employees and faculty are passed over when full-time positions become available--only outsiders are considered (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Lone Star College is a great school with endless opportunities.

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at Lone Star College part-time

Pros

The best reasons to work here is because it is very flexible. The professors a nice and being a student worker will allow you to work around your school schedule.

Cons

I was a student worker so I was not entitled to the benefits of a full time employee. Regardless, it is a great place to work!

Rewarding work, but terrible career for Adjuncts

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Conroe, TX

I worked at Lone Star College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an adjunct, I had a considerable amount of freedom on how I ran my class, provided I taught the core curriculum. Since my classes were supposed to transfer to 4-year colleges, I had to ensure that I taught to that level. My students were mostly very serious about trying to get a better job or working towards a 4-year degree.

Cons

Experience and opportunity were tied to the chair of your specific department. Some departments such as biology use adjuncts as a way of determining who will make excellent teachers for their students. Other departments in the sciences will never hire anyone who is a current adjunct, no matter how well they did their jobs. If you are planning to use this as a supplement to your pension or SS, this is an awesome place to work. If you are hoping to advance at the school, look at the department and determine if your department will promote good teachers.

Value teaching more than politics or numbers. Education SHOULD be about teaching students and helping them learn their strengths and shore up their weaknesses. Education should NOT be about how many students have A's and B's if these students are incapable of working in the fields they are studying. Failing a student who never shows up to class or takes is seriously is exactly what a professor should be doing to ensure that the degree from Lone Star means something.

Adjunct Instructor Montgomery

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Lone Star College as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is pretty. The person I report to is great. I have a great deal of autonomy. There are opportunities to acquire new skills.

Cons

For this kind of position, the pay is middling. Adjuncts do not get benefits, so I can't speak to that. There appears to be little to no chance to progress to any other kind of work within the college system.

Find ways to show more appreciation for the adjunct staff. In this college, more than 60% of the teaching staff works on an adjunct basis.

As an Adjunct Instructor Lone Star College is an awesome place to work!

I worked at Lone Star College

Pros

They pay is decent and you're not micro managed. Your allow to tweak the curriculum to make it your own.

Cons

No benefits except retirement which you're forced to invest.

None

Decades behind the real world

Current Employee - Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lone Star College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

90 day waiting period for Medical and Dental. a good place to learn if you have your associates degree or if you are looking for part time work.

Cons

Budgeted fiscal amounts for professional development are spent on employees who were not correctly terminated. at the begining of the new fiscal year we were told that the only amount of the budget that is left is for salaries. Employees are paid long after their employment at Lone Star College ends meaning that COBRA and HIPPA enrollment dates and end dates are not correct. their is not any training nor money spend on training for hard skills. the stress level is way higher than the real world and the productivity is way lower. pay is extremely low. there are not any career paths or competencies for roles/position; therefore, there is not any career advancement. lots of politics instead of good old fashioned business administration. HR has major issues with payroll (incorrect amounts), audits, integrity, and customer service. Some managers make it their priority to contact us on our personal cell phone late into the evenings or on weekends.

Upgrade your technology and use part of the budget for that as well as professional development. If an executive director is using 100 - 150% of the Budget without the analysts ever using 0.05% of the budget....something might be wrong. I would expect the turnover ratio to increase significantly based on how employees are treated. Start looking deep into HR. HR is suppose to be there for the employees...not for the politicians to sweep issues under the rug. Identify a problem and resolve it....don't ignore it.

Life as a student/employee of Lone Star

I have been working at Lone Star College (less than an year)

Pros

Convenient, friendly employees and enviroment

Cons

must be a self starter and very busy during peak times.

Excellent work environment

Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I worked at Lone Star College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment was great. Most of the people were outstanding people to be around. The work/life balance was great.

Cons

The only downside was the pay was below what I could get outside the college.

Wish there could be better pay but I understand the college has a budget.

Executive HR Leadership needs to be booted out the door

Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Lone Star College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and time off, if you can get it. Prior to current leadership, it was a great place to work.

Cons

The senior HR Leaders are a joke, specifically the top 2. They lack knowledge and experience to perform their jobs adequately. They do not understand federal guidelines and regulations, specifically FLSA, HIPAA, ADA, and FMLA. They make guesses using past examples and use their power to enforce decisions. The rules they made for adjunct workloads need to be reviewed. They do not want to be questioned. They do not listen to reason. One is catty, conniving, and so self-serving...all HR employees know who this is but everyone is afraid to step forward for fear of retaliation. They do not care about their employees and play games. Employees are not valued, they are expendable. Employees at the System Office feel like they could get fired in a moments notice - they are manipulated and are made to feel like nothing they do is right and their workloads are inconceivable and impossible. I repeatedly heard "if they don't like their job, they can leave -- there are plenty of others whom we could hire". They make decisions based on who is requesting them and they have favorites - if a president or the COO asks, anything can happen, whether it is right or wrong. If you looked closely, you would find reverse discrimination running rampant to get the EEO numbers and reporting stats where they need them. There are pay inequities left and right. The new compensation structure makes no sense at all - even the compensation employees don't have a clue as to what happened and cannot defend it. HR management has had almost a complete turnover in the last 2 years because of the horrific examples of leadership in place.

Take a close look at your HR leaders - Chief HR Officer, Associate Vice Chancellor, Executive Directors...you'll find incompetence and greed.

Good job, paid well while trying to get a degree

Former Employee - Transcriber in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Transcriber in Houston, TX

I worked at Lone Star College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location with campuses all over North Harris and Montgomery counties

Cons

Glass ceiling, not much else to do besides the job you're hired into

Need to focus more on student success and less on politics

Adjunct Faculty

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Lone Star College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The department I work for has great management and staff support. Even though I am part-time they keep me fully informed of what is going on in the department.

Cons

It seems like HR does not hire from within. All positions that I have applied for over the last 2 years has gone with out a single interview or call. I do however get the standard rejection email. It does not make me feel really appreciated for the hard work I have put in over the last 2 years.