Lone Star College

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.2

CEO

Pros
  • The work/life balance was great (in 5 reviews)

• As a current student, you get to have flexible hours and a decent pay check as well by the end of the semester (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • HR changed the policy to where you cannot get a full time position without a bachelor's degree (in 9 reviews)

• part-time employees and faculty are passed over when full-time positions become available--only outsiders are considered (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience. Great coworkers!!!

Current Employee - Part Time Division Operations Specialist
    Current Employee - Part Time Division Operations Specialist

I have been working at Lone Star College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. Good opportunities for self-improvement and work education.

Cons

The wages are not competitive.

Nice to Help Students, but Very Top Heavy

I worked at Lone Star College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In general, Lone Star pays less than its counterparts in the Houston area. However, the benefits are pretty good and you get a lot, a lot of time off. If you value time off more than money, it could be a good deal for you, all else being equal. The System is growing, which, if you subscribe to the party line, suggests more opportunities will open for employees.

Cons

True, the System is growing. However, in my view, it seems to be growing the most, as a ratio of resources, at the highest levels of the organization. Everybody, it seems, is a Director or an Executive Director or an Associate Vice Chancellor or whatever. This means fewer worker bees to get the work of the College done in a reasonable way. It also means bickering and infighting among the higher-ups and between departments.

Delegate more responsibility. Hire more staff. Consolidate and eliminate layers of management.

HR Assistant

I have been working at Lone Star College

Pros

Less than 8 mile commute. Perfect!

Cons

Working as a contract employee from a staffing agency, you are a part of a team but not a member of the team.

Please let the contract employee what to expect or at least let your contact at the staffing agencies know the environment for contract employee at Lone Star College

So many resources for supporting students in academic endeavors.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Houston, TX

I worked at Lone Star College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful staff at various campuses. Pay, for adjuncts, is nice compared to other similar institutions around town. Lots of academic freedom and, for better or worse, little oversight. The Adjunct Center for Excellence at North Harris centers is an awesome resource for us.

Cons

Can only teach 3 courses a year, as an adjunct. Summer courses are few and far in between, and full time faculty always get priority. Adjuncting can be lonely and too autonomous. You don't get much training upfront and have to figure out for yourself how to find teaching support. But that's pretty standard for an adjunct at most places.

Implement more ways for adjuncts to collaborate and connect to each other across campuses and with full time, more experienced faculty members - maybe like a loose mentoring thing.

I also wanted to work at Lone Star but

I worked at Lone Star College

Pros

Close to home. Worked in a different part of Human Resources.

Cons

I have worked as a contractor at two other companies prior to working at Lone Star College. I felt like an outsider there. I was part of the team but I was not part of the team because I was a contractor.

Lone Star College is a great school with endless opportunities.

Former Employee - Lab Assistant
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant

I worked at Lone Star College part-time

Pros

The best reasons to work here is because it is very flexible. The professors a nice and being a student worker will allow you to work around your school schedule.

Cons

I was a student worker so I was not entitled to the benefits of a full time employee. Regardless, it is a great place to work!

Rewarding work, but terrible career for Adjuncts

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Conroe, TX

I worked at Lone Star College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an adjunct, I had a considerable amount of freedom on how I ran my class, provided I taught the core curriculum. Since my classes were supposed to transfer to 4-year colleges, I had to ensure that I taught to that level. My students were mostly very serious about trying to get a better job or working towards a 4-year degree.

Cons

Experience and opportunity were tied to the chair of your specific department. Some departments such as biology use adjuncts as a way of determining who will make excellent teachers for their students. Other departments in the sciences will never hire anyone who is a current adjunct, no matter how well they did their jobs. If you are planning to use this as a supplement to your pension or SS, this is an awesome place to work. If you are hoping to advance at the school, look at the department and determine if your department will promote good teachers.

Value teaching more than politics or numbers. Education SHOULD be about teaching students and helping them learn their strengths and shore up their weaknesses. Education should NOT be about how many students have A's and B's if these students are incapable of working in the fields they are studying. Failing a student who never shows up to class or takes is seriously is exactly what a professor should be doing to ensure that the degree from Lone Star means something.

Adjunct Instructor Montgomery

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Lone Star College as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is pretty. The person I report to is great. I have a great deal of autonomy. There are opportunities to acquire new skills.

Cons

For this kind of position, the pay is middling. Adjuncts do not get benefits, so I can't speak to that. There appears to be little to no chance to progress to any other kind of work within the college system.

Find ways to show more appreciation for the adjunct staff. In this college, more than 60% of the teaching staff works on an adjunct basis.

As an Adjunct Instructor Lone Star College is an awesome place to work!

I worked at Lone Star College

Pros

They pay is decent and you're not micro managed. Your allow to tweak the curriculum to make it your own.

Cons

No benefits except retirement which you're forced to invest.

None

Decades behind the real world

Current Employee - Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lone Star College full-time (less than a year)

Pros

90 day waiting period for Medical and Dental. a good place to learn if you have your associates degree or if you are looking for part time work.

Cons

Budgeted fiscal amounts for professional development are spent on employees who were not correctly terminated. at the begining of the new fiscal year we were told that the only amount of the budget that is left is for salaries. Employees are paid long after their employment at Lone Star College ends meaning that COBRA and HIPPA enrollment dates and end dates are not correct. their is not any training nor money spend on training for hard skills. the stress level is way higher than the real world and the productivity is way lower. pay is extremely low. there are not any career paths or competencies for roles/position; therefore, there is not any career advancement. lots of politics instead of good old fashioned business administration. HR has major issues with payroll (incorrect amounts), audits, integrity, and customer service. Some managers make it their priority to contact us on our personal cell phone late into the evenings or on weekends.

Upgrade your technology and use part of the budget for that as well as professional development. If an executive director is using 100 - 150% of the Budget without the analysts ever using 0.05% of the budget....something might be wrong. I would expect the turnover ratio to increase significantly based on how employees are treated. Start looking deep into HR. HR is suppose to be there for the employees...not for the politicians to sweep issues under the rug. Identify a problem and resolve it....don't ignore it.