Lone Star College

Lone Star College Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • Working schedule provides a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• As a current student, you get to have flexible hours and a decent pay check as well by the end of the semester (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was a part-timer with full-time work who would not get a raise (in 7 reviews)

• part-time employees and faculty are passed over when full-time positions become available--only outsiders are considered (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Highly recommended to go there!

ProsDiversity and safe environment for students and faculty.

ConsNone really! I cannot think of any because it is good school.

Learned quite a bit in a short amount of time.

Work Study (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat people and environment, full of positive support.

ConsPay and amount of hours allowed to work being a work study student.

Good experience, but low pay! Recommended!

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a clear order of command, and there were good quality leaders who knew what they were doing. They care about all the employees, and had several professional development training sessions and employee events to go to each year. All of the campuses are beautiful, and there are always students walking around and different events going on. All in all, a great experience working here, and very positive.

ConsAs a part-timer, i felt looked down upon on as lesser than the other employees. The pros i mention about the professional development and employee events were only offered to the full-timers. I was lucky enough to go to a few because of the department i was a part of. I was a part-timer with full-time work who would not get a raise. For years i was promised a full-time position but never received it. Eventually that was the undertaking of working here. Another con is the parking lot. Employees get their own parking lots, which makes finding a spot easier but doesn't change the distance needed to walk to get to the office.
    The pay was low, even for full-timers. The whole 5 years i was there i didn't receive a raise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work for

Scribe (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-friendly atmosphere
    -flexible hours
    -great for students

Consbenefits were not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great.

The Sky is the Limit if the Sky is Part Time

Adjunct Faculty/Staff Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat people. nice students, beautiful facilities

ConsAdvancement is almost unheard of; Almost all positions--especially those that deal with instruction--are part time with strict hourly limits; Even the best part-time employees and faculty are passed over when full-time positions become available--only outsiders are considered. Goes to great lengths to show part-time employees and adjunct faculty that they are not valued, and that they are considered more as financial liabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more full-time positions from the thousands of part-time positions (perhaps the hundreds that attract no applicants) to improve communication and performance. Promote more from within. Make at least 50% of full-time openings available to current LSCS employees, especially those whose performance is exceptional.

Would do again

Mathemaics Tutor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood experience, relaxed enviorment. You get to meet A LOT of new people. Easy part time job while in college

ConsCan get repeatative and boring.

Technology Support Supervisor

ProsGood benefits, lot of time off, good sick leave pool. A good bunch of folks working together

ConsCareer advancement and salary is pretty moderate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid politics and give chances to deserving candidates

Powerhouse in the community with regard to student opportunities and partnerships with local industry. Terrific staff.

Counselor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAs a Counseling/Student Services professional there is a wealth of student interaction, diverse student populations with regard to age, race, backgrounds, issues. Lots of great, motivated students to help and guide. Lots of potential for partnering with colleagues for different initiatives.

ConsLeadership on the campus, and the higher ups often miss the boat on making the best use of their part time/ adjunct staff. They do not realize the wealth of knowledge and impact these folks could make if they were given the respect and pay they deserve so that they would keep investing in the overall vision and not get burned out or squeezed out of meetings or decision making/brainstorming processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the expertise of your part time staff and find ways to foster buy-in - respecting their strengths and giving constructive feedback along the way. Acknowledge pay gaps, and bargain for change in this area in order to remain competitive. Invest in knowing your staff and valuing their professional needs/desires and contributions.

Quite a few changes

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTo gain knowledge of changes in education.

ConsKeeping up with the rapid changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Overall, good, but it could be improved.

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Tomball, TX

ProsRelaxed work environment, decent pay, flexible schedule, working for a large institution of higher learning, modern facilities, modern office technology.

ConsPoor upper leadership, low pay cap, parking lots are at times crowded and difficult to park in, very little feedback.

Worked for Lone Star College? Contribute to the Community!