Lone Star Overnight

Updated Nov 25, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard T. Jones

Excellent small company in the small parcel industry, which allowed me to gain a tremendous amount of knowledge.

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a small organization that allows you to learn many different aspects of the organization from all levels.

ConsNot a lot of upward mobility.

Great company that cares about its employees

ProsGreat benefits
Accommodating with vacation/leave time
Good pay
Room for promotion
Executive management is positive and personal with its employees (no feelings of being the little employee no one notices)
Lots of programs/ incentives put in place for employees

ConsNo beards or visible tattoos, even for non-customer facing employees. The dress code could be a little looser for non-customer facing employees. Casual dress only on Fridays.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much advice to give to management personally. Never had much of an issue with them. They seem to really care about their employees.

No help

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat insurance and good benefits like 401K, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, etc. More hours.

Cons1) Station is in bad shape - old building that smells and leaks after it rains, rat poop droppings on carpet, office is too small and far from the entrance, some concrete has shifted in the hallway floor under carpet, and no cover for the trucks outside when it rains.
2) The pay is only $10/hr which is not enough for all the hard work even for a few cents raise after driving evaluation after 3-6 months.
3) Split shift - most days you end up without a lunch break because of too many packages to deliver and you end up with working 12 hours or more (the law only allows you 12 hours in a day - but they tell you to add any minutes or hours over 12 to add to the next day).
4) Long distance - those that do expansion route should not do afternoon shifts. You spend almost 300 miles of driving and you become fatigue... coming into the city to do the pickups - already exhausted. The law: driving more than 8 hours, should take a 30 minute break?
5) Packages that have medicine(s) in it requires refrigeration - we do not have a refrigerator.
6) Scanners - every other day has been a problem. Customers have been complaining that their signature is not going through. Software popups of errors that disrupts throughout the day...and getting started in the mornings has been delayed because of this.
7) Need a GPS system to give more time management of finding difficult addresses.
8) Writing every package numbers plus the weight and measurement is taking too long on most busy days...have to rush to get things wrapped up for the line haul. We live in an advance technology world - why can't things be just scanned and not use a writing pen?

Advice to Senior ManagementEven if customers come first, employees have needs that needs to be addressed first - positive attitude passes on down...what comes around goes around.

For a small company, I wouldn't recommend it.

Driver (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight full-time for more than a year

ProsFor drivers, being away from the office everyday and quitting time!

ConsNo raises in the last 3 years! Hard work hours...usually split shifts. Get home late. Working area is stressful. Everyone seems to come to work on the in a bad mood and on the defensive. Do not expect to get any help. The warehouse is hot and dirty. No belts or rails to move freight, not even forklifts only pallet jacks. Front offices are messy and not enough offices for front employee's. Problems with scanners. Management knows what major problems are but nothing happens. Always threatening us about losing jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find out why....Why we are not growing? What happened to teamwork? For a small group of employees per station why is turnover so high? What is really going on with our employees?
Bring the technologies, station, offices up to par with current levels of today.

Lone Star Overnight is a place for growth that rewards its hard working employees

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and insurance, senior management has put several programs put in place specifically for drivers, customer service representatives and sales to earn money on top of paycheck (which has helped me personally), caring management team, good work environment.

Consstrict dress code including no facial hair or visible tattoos regardless of whether or not you are in front of customers

Difficult company to work for with knee jerk changes in policy/personnel from upper management.

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood product. Decent Network, Good drivers and day to day management personnel.

ConsUnclear Future in the Industry. Unsustainable business model. No revenue growth over the past few years. Limited Service Area.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine if the product offered is what your customers want in this economy/environment. Determine if the strategy for growth is a sustainable one. Fix the turnover /revolving door problem. Possibly time for new leadership at CEO level to inject fresh ideas, leadership and plan for growth as current model is not working.

A last resort place of employment.

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight

ProsFairly predictable work hours.
Some decent middle managers.

ConsLow starting salary.
No raises for years (company-wide).
Little room for growth in most positions.
Poorly kept building in a bad area.
Very strict dress code policy. For example, no facial hair even for those not customer facing.
Very optimistic executives that haven't proven with results. You hear a lot of what great things you can expect for the company in the future. The future comes, the great things don't.
Possible nepotism.

Going down the tubes

Sales (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Lone Star Overnight full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTotal confusion by management allows no direct supervision!

ConsConstant worry whether they would be in business the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun

Enjoyable place to work, friendly and respectful people, and kudos given for good work.

Austin, TX

I have been working at Lone Star Overnight

Pros6 month and 1 year review - opportunity for raises. Great management in all departments - I know and speak to them all fairly frequently. There is room to grow in this organization and especially at the Austin location.

ConsAround the holidays, package volume is higher so sometimes, extra time at work is required.

Sales Executive

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsMonday-Friday work schedules were nice-8-5

ConsPoor pay, no promotional opportunities, change in management changed company culture

Worked for Lone Star Overnight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lone Star Overnight reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lone Star Overnight CEO Richard T. Jones. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Lone Star Overnight employees.