Long Beach City College

Add Photos

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not bad

Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsIt's a community college, so there's that, but still some of my best memories where here.

ConsThe facilities could be much better. I spent a lot time at Dennys because there was no 24 hour study location on campus.

Top Administrators make almost 10 times as much as adjunct instructors....who do much of the work.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsWe teach well. We love our students.

ConsWhere do we start? There are NINE vice-presidents...NINE at a community college. They are well into the 6 figures. Why do we have that many? And during the recession, why are none of them eliminated to drive down costs? Why does tuition go up for the students? It sure is not because of adjunct professors. (See administrative bloat and shiny new buildings).

I want to be fair: tenure track profs are not wealthy (middle class)...but over half of the instructors are adjunct...meaning we are poor. We love our work, but this is no living wages. We are "freeway fliers" with other jobs.

How poor are we? We make one third the pay (plus we have no benefits) as tenure track profs (and some of adjuncts ARE, in fact Ph.D.s) for much of the same work. Again, that does not mean that tenure track are wealthy. I does mean that adjuncts are a lower tier, a lower caste as others doing much the same job.

If you are on tenure track, you did well and are also lucky. Do not demean or belittle your fellow instructors (most of you don't). But some of our administrators do. One of us was told that we had "no allegiance" at all to any part timers...even after educating here for over a decade. We are vital to our students; to some administrators and most trustees, NONE OF US MATTER.

Do not become an adjunct. In fact, do not become a professor, as most of us will become adjuncts. I know we often have little choice. But if you can, get out.

Adjunct instructors are not a "gap" in college education; we are now the majority. If we went away, this college (in fact, ANY college) would disintegrate. Only then would a living wage require the majority of college educators to call us back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe majority of educators (adjuncts) are below the poverty line. If you care about education, and you care about your students, give us a living wage. If you want students to cough up more tuition, consider how many vice-presidents we REALLY need, and why the shiny new buildings are NOT for expanding classes. Oh, and stop cutting vocational programs.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It's great, after you overcome all the politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsPeople work well together; The college leadership seems to know what it's doing on a very very broad scale.

ConsToo much politics sometimes; Business Areas stumble and step on each other's toes because of lack of concrete business processes; HR is dysfunctional.

Advice to Senior ManagementDraft concrete goals top down and define business processes for all areas so that every single employee knows what they are supposed to be doing and how everything flows together

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hectic.

Student Worker (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsFlexible if time is needed for exams, and emergencies, etc.

ConsOverpaid, instructional aides who don't do their part.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling of shifts making sure adequate coverage is available and get rid of the dead weight.

Good place to work...if you avoid the Economic &Resource Development department (ERD) at PCH Campus.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsThe pay and benefits are excellent. A lot of friendly and helpful people at LBCC. There are a lot of good educational resources for students; many of which are ahead of industry trends. Long Beach City College does a lot of outreach to local high schools, non-profit organizations, and the local community. There are several educational/career path options for students. LBCC has two campuses, one is the Liberal Arts Campus (LAC) and the second is the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) campus.

The LAC campus is newer and has better buildings, classrooms, and offices. The PCH campus was the original LBCC campus and not as appealing to work at as the LAC campus. Though there is a new library, many of the buildings and classrooms are old and get hot in the summer.

ConsA lot of politics and "power trips" by some management an Deans. It appears that there are generally two types of people that work at LBCC: (1)individuals pursuing a career in the community college system and (2) the "others". Most employees are fall into category 1, the people of category 2 usually have big egos and are very cut-throat.

The Economic & Resource Development department is notorious for politics and favoritism. Lack of oversight in this department and others like it has led to out of control politics and abuse of authority. If you end working in a department that has political issues and you don't fit their mold...you will not last long at LBCC.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform some housecleaning in regards to management and administration. Protect lower-level classified employees and middle management.

Worked for Long Beach City College? Contribute to the Community!