Long Beach City College Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014

3.1

CEO

I have enjoyed my time here

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work in something I hold dear to my heart; Sports.

Cons

There isn't to much to complain about from my perspective considering I asked for this position and knew what it entitled.

The culture is great working with coaches and the athletic environment is very collective.

Top Administrators make almost 10 times as much as adjunct instructors....who do much of the work.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We teach well. We love our students.

Cons

Where do we start? There are NINE vice-presidents...NINE at a community college. They are well into the 6 figures. Why do we have that many? And during the recession, why are none of them eliminated to drive down costs? Why does tuition go up for the students? It sure is not because of adjunct professors. (See administrative bloat and shiny new buildings).

I want to be fair: tenure track profs are not wealthy (middle class)...but over half of the instructors are adjunct...meaning we are poor. We love our work, but this is no living wages. We are "freeway fliers" with other jobs.

How poor are we? We make one third the pay (plus we have no benefits) as tenure track profs (and some of adjuncts ARE, in fact Ph.D.s) for much of the same work. Again, that does not mean that tenure track are wealthy. I does mean that adjuncts are a lower tier, a lower caste as others doing much the same job.

If you are on tenure track, you did well and are also lucky. Do not demean or belittle your fellow instructors (most of you don't). But some of our administrators do. One of us was told that we had "no allegiance" at all to any part timers...even after educating here for over a decade. We are vital to our students; to some administrators and most trustees, NONE OF US MATTER.

Do not become an adjunct. In fact, do not become a professor, as most of us will become adjuncts. I know we often have little choice. But if you can, get out.

Adjunct instructors are not a "gap" in college education; we are now the majority. If we went away, this college (in fact, ANY college) would disintegrate. Only then would a living wage require the majority of college educators to call us back.

The majority of educators (adjuncts) are below the poverty line. If you care about education, and you care about your students, give us a living wage. If you want students to cough up more tuition, consider how many vice-presidents we REALLY need, and why the shiny new buildings are NOT for expanding classes. Oh, and stop cutting vocational programs.

Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time

Pros

Parking is reasonable for staff.

Cons

Horrible job! Power hungry administration. Students are the last to be considered!

Listen to your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad

Current Employee - Supplemental Instruction Leader  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Supplemental Instruction Leader in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a community college, so there's that, but still some of my best memories where here.

Cons

The facilities could be much better. I spent a lot time at Dennys because there was no 24 hour study location on campus.

It's great, after you overcome all the politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College full-time

Pros

People work well together; The college leadership seems to know what it's doing on a very very broad scale.

Cons

Too much politics sometimes; Business Areas stumble and step on each other's toes because of lack of concrete business processes; HR is dysfunctional.

Draft concrete goals top down and define business processes for all areas so that every single employee knows what they are supposed to be doing and how everything flows together

Hectic.

Former Employee - Student Worker  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Long Beach City College

Pros

Flexible if time is needed for exams, and emergencies, etc.

Cons

Overpaid, instructional aides who don't do their part.

Better scheduling of shifts making sure adequate coverage is available and get rid of the dead weight.

Good place to work...if you avoid the Economic &Resource Development department (ERD) at PCH Campus.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College

Pros

The pay and benefits are excellent. A lot of friendly and helpful people at LBCC. There are a lot of good educational resources for students; many of which are ahead of industry trends. Long Beach City College does a lot of outreach to local high schools, non-profit organizations, and the local community. There are several educational/career path options for students. LBCC has two campuses, one is the Liberal Arts Campus (LAC) and the second is the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) campus.

The LAC campus is newer and has better buildings, classrooms, and offices. The PCH campus was the original LBCC campus and not as appealing to work at as the LAC campus. Though there is a new library, many of the buildings and classrooms are old and get hot in the summer.

Cons

A lot of politics and "power trips" by some management an Deans. It appears that there are generally two types of people that work at LBCC: (1)individuals pursuing a career in the community college system and (2) the "others". Most employees are fall into category 1, the people of category 2 usually have big egos and are very cut-throat.

The Economic & Resource Development department is notorious for politics and favoritism. Lack of oversight in this department and others like it has led to out of control politics and abuse of authority. If you end working in a department that has political issues and you don't fit their mold...you will not last long at LBCC.

Perform some housecleaning in regards to management and administration. Protect lower-level classified employees and middle management.

Library

I worked at Long Beach City College

Pros

Depending on your department, the work atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed. Supervisors (library department) are considerate flexible when scheduling work hours. This is especially beneficial for working students.

Cons

Major budget cuts. Departments are short on money and understaffed. This leads to an increase work load and greater stress.

Overall, leadership is competent. However, they can do better by improve by reducing bureaucracy, and providing better on the job training.

Worked for Long Beach City College? Contribute to the Community!