Long View Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Gord Mawhinney

Pros
  • Lots of great people work at Long View,sadly lots of (in 6 reviews)

• OK compensation, good benefits package, good RRSP bonus (if you catch them short on talent or are an excellent negotiator) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Raises seem to be minimal, a bit of a boys club (in 4 reviews)

• Career progression depends on department (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

Great team of talented people, growing in a strategic way, flexible schedule but still a team of hard-working individuals, fun, creativity in your role and room to grow your career. You can really drive your own career but you have to take the reins! Don't sit back and expect to grow.

Cons

None. The IT consulting/services industry is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the culture and focus on your people!

Apr 28, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on what you like about Long View! We can appreciate that IT Consulting may not be an industry for everybody but are glad that it is a good ... More

2. Great starting point

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking to get into IT from the ground floor, this is the place to do it! There are lots of very smart people working there to teach you things along the way.

Cons

Compensation is less than stellar. It's a great place to learn, but you definitely won't be getting market value. Leaving to do a similar job for over $40k more a year.

Apr 29, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your comments! We welcome both positive and negative feedback and appreciate you sharing both with us. While we can appreciate your view on the salaries we offer, we focus on many areas ... More

Eye opening

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are free lunch, if you work days in the office. No matter how poorly you perform, your looked upon favorably if in office, at least in the U.S. As far as Canada goes, it doesn't matter, as you appease the right people.

Cons

Challenges of work here , are a "Canadian first" culture. Can't really blame them, they are Canadian. Leadership is lacking in, well, leadership. Technical resources are stretched thin or to the point of brewing for a MSP. Training is far more than lacking depending on your department. If you are in a "value added" department, you might get the training you signed up for. If not, well, don't expect leadership to explain complicated systems, or tools if needed. Breaks, few and far between, in certain hourly departments. Overtime is doled out to those who don't make a fuss, no matter how poorly they perform, otherwise, your OT is highly scrutinized. "People services" is the equivalent of HR, and regardless of these reviews, where they reply, "please contact so and so, they really want to speak to you", it's just another way to save face. I of course, engaged people services on multiple occasions, yet they were "shocked" by my revelations in my exit interview. Of course I had brought my concerns to their attention. Many, many months prior. As always, if you play the game, you'll do fine, however, this would involve violating their "four pillars" approach to everything. Line level associates are all new, and barely trained. Good luck with promotion unless you kiss major behind, and stab teammates in the back. Think of all the worst parts of google and Microsoft, and you get an idea of how this place works. Lots of infighting, no real team work. Basically, never attempt to go above baseline, as soon as you do, your expected to keep it at that or they analyze your throughput to see what's wrong. Pushback to EVERYONE is popular, until they decide it's not. The it's seen as challenging leadership. God help you if you decide to leave Long View Systems. They will 100% trash talk you, say how they have you a chance, etc etc ad nauseum to sway opinion of you if you leave. This is despite the fact they don't give you assistance of any kind in your job. If you make a mistake? Good luck.

Advice to Management

Already been given at exit interview.

Lots of room for improvement

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

Good people. Co-workers are great and genuinely care for one another. Recent branch management changes have made employees more optimistic. I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

Managers will not tell employees if they are not meeting perfomance expectations, but instead will wait until their project ends and then suddenly not have any work available and lay them off. Environment in the office is not as fun as it once was. Key people have been terminated and the office has become blah. It's not a fun place to work anymore and there isn't any room for career growth. If you want to move up, you have to go someplace else.

Advice to Management

Be up front to employees about performance from the start. If there are concerns, address them and work to coach employees to be successful before rushing to terminate them. Re-evaluate the interview process. Not every bad employee "oversold" themselves. Telling people here to contact their US People Services Manager? Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Jul 24, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Your feedback is important to us; thank you for it. We will pass this onto our Houston leaders. We would also welcome the opportunity to speak to you more about your concerns and there are many ... More

Houston, we have a problem!

Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fairly good compensation package (3 weeks vacation) Medical, dental, vision. - LVS knows how to have fun after work. Fun Christmas parties every year.

Cons

- Pay is very low considering the bill rates. - Career, Life, Planning sessions don't really seem to mean much. - Management (CSMs) in the downtown office don't communicate much with team leads at client sites.

Advice to Management

-Spend more time with your employees at client sites. There is a big disconnect between the downtown office and remote sites. -More meaning to the CLPs. It just seems like something that has to be done every quarter to put a check mark next to it.

Jul 16, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your experience at Long View and the aspects that you liked and disliked. Understandably, the consulting world comes with challenges which sometimes ... More

Exasperated with failed leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros these days. You will read about the company vision and the "core pillars" in many of these reviews. There may have been a time when the company truly believed in them and actively operated and lived by them. That hasn't been the case in the Denver branch in some time. The downtown location is great, and there are a handful of people who do truly care about what they do.

Cons

The current US leadership/management team doesn't appear to have real success as a goal. The revolving door of turnover is spinning endlessly. You're hard pressed to find too many line-level folks who have been there more that a year or two. Account managers, project managers, marketing staff, engineers...all are leaving at a mind-numbing rate. Morale is poor, and after a round of layoffs followed by steady employee attrition, there's little hope on the horizon that things will get better. There does not appear to be any real effort to improve the product, standardize any kind of process or policy, or even bring in new work. Engineers with no sales experience and no interest in sales are being harassed to become presales engineers with zero training or coaching. The bonus program is a farce being unreasonably weighted to favor the company with a penance payed out to the engineers who actually do the work. Training has become non-existent. Longview stresses "perks" like the Career/Life planning and "work/life balance" with extreme conviction during the interview, but once you're on the payroll, the work/live balance is a bad joke. You will have to fight, claw, and beg for any semblance of balance if there's billable hours sitting in a bucket somewhere. And for those let go in the too-frequent "layoffs", there's no warning, usually no explanation as to why they are let go, and virtually no severance. Oddly the team leads, and all levels of management seem immune to the mood swings of a downturn

Advice to Management

To those in Calgary...I think a complete leadership/management flush and fill is about all that will save the US market and the Denver branch. Those in charge now don't seem capable of making the kind of changes that would bring success to the branch. Worse, they don't seem interested in fixing things. Calgary HR should take an objective look at the technical people that have left Denver over the last 18 months. The talent that has left or been run out is significant. The IT market in Denver is unbelievably tight and opportunity for talented people is everywhere. Longview's reputation isn't great in this market. Convincing truly skilled passionate people to come work for Longview right now will be a hard sell.

Aug 19, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Long View wasn’t what we had hoped it would be. Our Director of People Services would like to speak with you directly so that ... More

Wow, the company that lost its way

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good overall business concepts. Company sets itself apart by offering many verticals that very few companies offer. In the past, the company did a really did a good job of providing some great events for the employees and their families. They really take great pride in providing training within the different departments; making people better at making business decisions, consulting practices and provide a conduit for implementing new business ideas and concepts within the company.

Cons

The company prides itself on being about the people. The one aspect that I feel is the core of a great company is the Human Resources department. What is ironic is the one person who drives that aspect in the US is so far disconnected that it makes people wonder if the company truly knows how to hire people who care and support people. Great Career opportunities if you are from Canada. If you aren't, enjoy and utilize the training you receives to find your next career advancement!

Advice to Management

Canada, spend time in the US branches, you will see that the people are not happy and have very little respect and confidence for the managers. Its great to do a conference call with the US Managers and get their perspective of how things are going... the real pulse of what is going on is the people in the trenches of your business. If you gain their trust, they will fill you in on a lot of information that could benefit your business. Its also time to realize that US business culture is so very different from Canadian business culture. Time to respect and understand those differences.

Jun 22, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and comments on your recent experience with Long View in Denver. Could we ask that you call the Director of People Services at ... More

Lost in the wilderness

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some middle management actually try to uphold the one core pillar that should matter the most, "Integrity". That is the "Pro" folks.

Cons

C-levels and Directors do not know the meaning of the word Honesty. Everyone makes false promises and there seems to be a race to see who breaks theirs first. Salary "negotiations" are a farce, job progression is none existent unless you bend a knee. Did I mention broken promises.. and flat-out lies from upper management. Wage theft, excessively long hours required (depending on department), the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Clean house from the top down. Eliminate the known players (liars) that are the main reason for the exodus of the best talent every few months. Reduce the salary of none-production overhead staff (management) and pay Technical Staff a competitive wage.

Jun 22, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. As you know, Integrity is one of our four core pillars, and we take it seriously. Although we will be looking into your comments further, it would be helpful if you spoke ... More

Too many problems...

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

People are great! There is a family feel within the branch and people do care for each other. Good office location.

Cons

Poor management, low salaries, poor incentive program, low morale, uncertainty of future for branch, reactive to issues (instead of proactive)

Advice to Management

I came to Long View in part, because of the description of the company culture and the “people-oriented” atmosphere. While I did find that the company consisted of a great group of people, I also found that the role and company were not what I expected. The branch leaders in place at the time did not truly follow the company’s core values, had poor leadership skills and made poor decisions in everything from finances to hiring. This made me question the company itself and how they could have even hired such poor management at this level of the branch office. Even when problems existed, upper management was slow to react. When upper management finally did react, they did not communicate a clear plan for the branch or visit frequently. It felt as if the branch was being left alone to die a slow and painful death. Morale is currently at an all-time low, and yet it seems that upper management is oblivious to this. The mid-level managers are also lacking in integrity, people management skills and decision making abilities. Coaching of employees is non-existent. Instead, employees are often terminated because they are poor performers. Unfortunately, the employees never even realize they were poor performers because no true, straightforward feedback is given and there is not an opportunity to improve. Even in the quarterly “Career Life Planning” meetings, there is no true feedback given. I don’t know if this is because the managers don’t know how to constructively manage, or if they just don’t care. Perhaps quarterly CLPs are too much and should be done twice a year instead. Many managers have a quick lunch or coffee with employees and called that a CLP, even though an actual CLP was not done. To make matters worse, pay is low and incentives are often not even remotely close to what has been “targeted” on the employees offer – often times resulting in a zero or even negative incentive. Explanations of how the incentives are calculated are very unclear, rather than straightforward and transparent. Oh and if you are leaving the company, do not have the courtesy to give two weeks’ notice. You are likely to be walked out immediately upon resigning and will NOT be paid through your notice period. I have worked at many companies and have never experienced unless an employee was expected to be unruly and disruptive during their final weeks. So much for “people-oriented!” As for systems, the company is far behind the times. The company has grown significantly, yet it uses numerous manual processes. This leaves too much room for error. When trying to roll-out a new system, there have been so many issues that the project has been pushed back for over a year. Honestly, if this was the way we handled projects for our clients, we would have been fired long ago. Obviously having an in-house system is not working. If you are looking to work here, don’t. If you currently work here, dust off your resume and start looking!

Jun 5, 2015 – Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this in-depth review of our company. We are glad that you enjoy the group of people you work with and, it sounds like, you feel cared about. In order to improve ... More

11. I feel lucky everyday that I'm about of this team.

Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation and quite a bit of extra "perks".

Cons

Parking gets pretty expensive downtown.

Mar 9, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to receive your valuable input!

RSS Feed </> Embed