Long View Systems

Long View Systems Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Not yet rated.

Gord Mawhinney

It's generally a good company to work for especially if you work at one of the Canadian Branches.....

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsGood people
Niche IT solutions
Fair benefits package

ConsNo career development opportunities - It's a good company to use as a leaping pad
High Turnover - The management changes every year - Unable to retain top talent
Still building the brand in the US thus no consistency in the US branches

Advice to Senior ManagementA recruiter is not a low level employee. Treat them with dignity.

A fast-growing company with some great people and good intentions.

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

ProsNever a dull moment. There are always new opportunities and tremendous growth. This provides great opportunities for people to try new things and progress their careers (and quickly at times). It's a fun place to work and there is generally a tremendous amount of collaboration and teamwork.

ConsThe constant growth and sometimes the pace of the growth can sometimes stretch people (and management) beyond their cycles and abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lower the bar on what an A candidate is just to fill a position. And if you are forced to do that, make note of it and put a plan in place to address that sooner than later. It's a disservice to many of the great people we have when the "gold" standard is gradually eroded over time.

The long view is Don Bailik getting paid, and I suppose there is nothing so bad about that. Why the gimmick?

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCentral office. Good location. High turn-over, so always new people.

ConsThey have no business plan and do not value talent. Say they have expertise in many fields that they do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop being so phony. So petty. We get that you are ruled by fake Don and Calgary, but grow some balls.

A great place to work if you work in he Canadian locations

Senior Systems Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsThey provided a competitive salary, and there was plenty of opportunity to learn new things if you werw willing to put in the time and effort outside of regular work hours.

ConsManagement consitently extered pressure to find the next contract. High turnover in senior technical staff in the Denver office provided an uncertain enviornment. Being on the bench and turning down an assignment due to a lack of actual expertise was frowned upon unofficially.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your technical staff, and allow the Denver office more autonomy.

Long View was a interesting

Desktop Support (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid the average salary for the position

ConsOnly paid the average for the position, pay didn't always come in on time and poor communication was a bad habit and on going thing.

Lost Focus

Systems Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWell documented progression path to help build junior staff's careers. For better or worse, weekly and monthly meetings to communicate the goings on within the company.

ConsThey've been hemorrhaging employees for the past few year with good reason. They're just a desktop support, NOC & MITS company anymore without any advance knowledge which they once had. Projects also gets pushed up to Canada, not sure how legal that is, but never the other way around. Bonus were mysteriously calculated in the company's favor which I heard had a fallout which caused them to repay a lot of money to their employees. They also incorrectly withheld social security and medicare taxes but refunding ex-employees for this mistake, still waiting for that correction. Weekly brainwash meetings got annoying, maybe required for junior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great for IT, not for any other type of role

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing, fast paced, fun environment, based downtown

ConsIf you are not an IT consultant, from Canada, or a "yes man" they dont care about you or your career

Many mistakes were made, I should have turned around an run the other way before working for them.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Long View Systems as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI was paid, finally. The check cleared.

ConsVery unprofessional in working with independent contractors. I would not recommend them to any of my contacts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my vantage, seems like there is very little process in place for your recruiters and contractors/employees to work with. Many mistakes were made in my dealings with you. And not a lot of damage control.

Challenging and sometimes frustrating for the wrong reasons

I worked at Long View Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits, Nice People. There are some very great opportunities for learning and advancement.

ConsMost "promotions" come with more responsibilities but no money. Documentation and process is poor to non-existent , so sometimes it feels like you have to reinvent the wheel for every job. Much of the management seems to make decisions just for the sake of making decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say that something is going to happen in the Monthly General Meeting, do it. Promises are bandied about constantly, but are very rarely delivered. Be a little harsher on non-preforming employees, there's tons of good people out there looking for jobs, you don't have to constantly hire diamond-in-the-roughs just to squeeze a couple of extra dollars out.

So So experience

I worked at Long View Systems

ProsGreat People
Good Team Work
Willingness to help clients

ConsSr. Management is out of touch with actual events occuring within organization.
Sales Team takes precedence over all others including Key consultants (this negatively effects overall collaboration and the end result to the clients)
Over time is expected, but not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to actually learn the issues in each Branch and work with each Branch Manager to resolve identified issues.

Worked for Long View Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Long View Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Long View Systems CEO Gord Mawhinney. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Long View Systems employees.