Long View Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Gord Mawhinney

Pros
  • Lots of great people work at Long View,sadly lots of (in 6 reviews)

• OK compensation, good benefits package, good RRSP bonus (if you catch them short on talent or are an excellent negotiator) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Raises seem to be minimal, a bit of a boys club (in 4 reviews)

• Career progression depends on department (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

Great team of talented people, growing in a strategic way, flexible schedule but still a team of hard-working individuals, fun, creativity in your role and room to grow your career. You can really drive your own career but you have to take the reins! Don't sit back and expect to grow.

Cons

None. The IT consulting/services industry is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the culture and focus on your people!

Apr 28, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on what you like about Long View! We can appreciate that IT Consulting may not be an industry for everybody but are glad that it is a good ... More

2. Great starting point

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking to get into IT from the ground floor, this is the place to do it! There are lots of very smart people working there to teach you things along the way.

Cons

Compensation is less than stellar. It's a great place to learn, but you definitely won't be getting market value. Leaving to do a similar job for over $40k more a year.

Apr 29, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your comments! We welcome both positive and negative feedback and appreciate you sharing both with us. While we can appreciate your view on the salaries we offer, we focus on many areas ... More

Wow, the company that lost its way

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good overall business concepts. Company sets itself apart by offering many verticals that very few companies offer. In the past, the company did a really did a good job of providing some great events for the employees and their families. They really take great pride in providing training within the different departments; making people better at making business decisions, consulting practices and provide a conduit for implementing new business ideas and concepts within the company.

Cons

The company prides itself on being about the people. The one aspect that I feel is the core of a great company is the Human Resources department. What is ironic is the one person who drives that aspect in the US is so far disconnected that it makes people wonder if the company truly knows how to hire people who care and support people. Great Career opportunities if you are from Canada. If you aren't, enjoy and utilize the training you receives to find your next career advancement!

Advice to Management

Canada, spend time in the US branches, you will see that the people are not happy and have very little respect and confidence for the managers. Its great to do a conference call with the US Managers and get their perspective of how things are going... the real pulse of what is going on is the people in the trenches of your business. If you gain their trust, they will fill you in on a lot of information that could benefit your business. Its also time to realize that US business culture is so very different from Canadian business culture. Time to respect and understand those differences.

Jun 22, 2015Recruitment Communications Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and comments on your recent experience with Long View in Denver. Could we ask that you call the Director of People Services at ... More

Lost in the wilderness

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some middle management actually try to uphold the one core pillar that should matter the most, "Integrity". That is the "Pro" folks.

Cons

C-levels and Directors do not know the meaning of the word Honesty. Everyone makes false promises and there seems to be a race to see who breaks theirs first. Salary "negotiations" are a farce, job progression is none existent unless you bend a knee. Did I mention broken promises.. and flat-out lies from upper management. Wage theft, excessively long hours required (depending on department), the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Clean house from the top down. Eliminate the known players (liars) that are the main reason for the exodus of the best talent every few months.
    Reduce the salary of none-production overhead staff (management) and pay Technical Staff a competitive wage.

Jun 22, 2015Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. As you know, Integrity is one of our four core pillars, and we take it seriously. Although we will be looking into your comments further, it would be helpful if you spoke ... More

Too many problems...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

People are great! There is a family feel within the branch and people do care for each other. Good office location.

Cons

Poor management, low salaries, poor incentive program, low morale, uncertainty of future for branch, reactive to issues (instead of proactive)

Advice to Management

I came to Long View in part, because of the description of the company culture and the “people-oriented” atmosphere. While I did find that the company consisted of a great group of people, I also found that the role and company were not what I expected. The branch leaders in place at the time did not truly follow the company’s core values, had poor leadership skills and made poor decisions in everything from finances to hiring. This made me question the company itself and how they could have even hired such poor management at this level of the branch office. Even when problems existed, upper management was slow to react. When upper management finally did react, they did not communicate a clear plan for the branch or visit frequently. It felt as if the branch was being left alone to die a slow and painful death. Morale is currently at an all-time low, and yet it seems that upper management is oblivious to this.

The mid-level managers are also lacking in integrity, people management skills and decision making abilities. Coaching of employees is non-existent. Instead, employees are often terminated because they are poor performers. Unfortunately, the employees never even realize they were poor performers because no true, straightforward feedback is given and there is not an opportunity to improve. Even in the quarterly “Career Life Planning” meetings, there is no true feedback given. I don’t know if this is because the managers don’t know how to constructively manage, or if they just don’t care. Perhaps quarterly CLPs are too much and should be done twice a year instead. Many managers have a quick lunch or coffee with employees and called that a CLP, even though an actual CLP was not done.

To make matters worse, pay is low and incentives are often not even remotely close to what has been “targeted” on the employees offer – often times resulting in a zero or even negative incentive. Explanations of how the incentives are calculated are very unclear, rather than straightforward and transparent. Oh and if you are leaving the company, do not have the courtesy to give two weeks’ notice. You are likely to be walked out immediately upon resigning and will NOT be paid through your notice period. I have worked at many companies and have never experienced unless an employee was expected to be unruly and disruptive during their final weeks. So much for “people-oriented!”

As for systems, the company is far behind the times. The company has grown significantly, yet it uses numerous manual processes. This leaves too much room for error. When trying to roll-out a new system, there have been so many issues that the project has been pushed back for over a year. Honestly, if this was the way we handled projects for our clients, we would have been fired long ago. Obviously having an in-house system is not working.

If you are looking to work here, don’t. If you currently work here, dust off your resume and start looking!

Jun 5, 2015Recruitment Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this in-depth review of our company. We are glad that you enjoy the group of people you work with and, it sounds like, you feel cared about. In order to improve ... More

7. I feel lucky everyday that I'm about of this team.

Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation and quite a bit of extra "perks".

Cons

Parking gets pretty expensive downtown.

Mar 9, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to receive your valuable input!

If you need work, you do what you need to do but don't trust them. It's all smoke.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems

Pros

Centrally located in down town Houston.

Cons

They talk a lot about team and culture but like most consulting companies it comes down to the numbers. They generally have a bad reputation in Houston and are incompetent at selling professional services which will prevent you from hitting your bonus targets. Management changed hands and they systematically released all of their consultants within a few months of each other. I would not trust them with my career or livelihood not would I believe anything they say.

Advice to Management

Bringing in an axe man is not the way to grow your company. It was a poor move to let go of all your most talented personnel.

Mar 17, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Your feedback is appreciated and we take your comments to heart.

Bright picture painted, worked hard, didn't play office politics enough, always praised even when terminated

Former Employee - Systems Consultant
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant

I worked at Long View Systems

Pros

Salary was competitive, time off was good.

Cons

False promises of career planning and follow through. Failure to provide support when requested. Poor communication and lack of feedback rampant. Houston office was only good under Jeff.

Advice to Management

Feedback would be a gift.

Jan 19, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Please don’t hesitate to connect with us at 403-515-6900 and ask to speak to our Director, People Services, so that we can better understand these ... More

10. Great place to learn

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is very welcoming once you show that you will work hard.
    The friendships you make, make it nice to go to work.
    Great place to start a career in IT, the shared service desk will give you as much experience as you want, comparable to several years on a single client service desk

Cons

They lack on paying their employees appropriately
    Some people whine about favoritism
    Lack of growth in the US

Advice to Management

Recognize how each of your people contribute to the company
    Give the service desk more credit for the success of the company

Dec 15, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention! One of our People Services Advisors will be reviewing this and will action appropriately.

Systems Consultant

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, phenomenal technical depth and collaborative integrity among peers, great people at many layers. Truly enjoyed all of the events including an incredible holiday party held at Breckenridge. Still consider many people working there very close friends and hope they see me in the same light.

Cons

Failure to execute on one of the most intriguing advertised benefits: career-life planning. Network Consultant Team lead, while technically savvy and quick to respond to core networking skills assistance/advice/requests, lacks situational awareness with clients and seems inept at appreciating, or even intimidated by, extremely strong consultants on his team.

Advice to Management

Support your people as individual contributing adults. Two solid examples would be accepting a consultant's ethics of building strong business relationships over challenging their ethics by telling them to bill more hours in retrospectives, and reaching out to better understand where each consultant has challenges over burdening them with additional busy work that could be assigned to the team leads (or even an administrative assistant).

RSS Feed </> Embed