Long View Systems Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
68 reviews filtered by
Gord Mawhinney

Pros
  • Lots of great people work at Long View,sadly lots of (in 6 reviews)

• OK compensation, good benefits package, good RRSP bonus (if you catch them short on talent or are an excellent negotiator) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance is a focal point of discussion, though rarely seen in practise (in 6 reviews)

• Raises seem to be minimal, a bit of a boys club (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Best Career Decision I've Made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

I've been with Long View less than a year, but my experience thus far has been terrific! I've seen many comments about poor middle management, and all I can say is that my direct management is great, and the Senior Leadership team above them is more than willing to help whenever we ask. It's the first time I've felt part of a team and I honestly think it has a lot to do with the focus on culture. I find their compensation as expected. I've held a number of jobs where I needed to double check my pay so its now a common practice, however, I'm happy to say I haven't come across any issues yet with Long View.

The company is set for tremendous growth in 2015 and it's exciting to be part of a team driving that success!

Cons

Nothing negative to say about working for Long View!

N/A

Feb 20, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know about your experience at Long View so far. We are happy that you are happy and that you are a part of our team!

2. I feel lucky everyday that I'm about of this team.

Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation and quite a bit of extra "perks".

Cons

Parking gets pretty expensive downtown.

Mar 9, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to receive your valuable input!

If you need work, you do what you need to do but don't trust them. It's all smoke.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems

Pros

Centrally located in down town Houston.

Cons

They talk a lot about team and culture but like most consulting companies it comes down to the numbers. They generally have a bad reputation in Houston and are incompetent at selling professional services which will prevent you from hitting your bonus targets. Management changed hands and they systematically released all of their consultants within a few months of each other. I would not trust them with my career or livelihood not would I believe anything they say.

Bringing in an axe man is not the way to grow your company. It was a poor move to let go of all your most talented personnel.

Mar 17, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Your feedback is appreciated and we take your comments to heart.

Bright picture painted, worked hard, didn't play office politics enough, always praised even when terminated

Former Employee - Systems Consultant
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant

I worked at Long View Systems

Pros

Salary was competitive, time off was good.

Cons

False promises of career planning and follow through. Failure to provide support when requested. Poor communication and lack of feedback rampant. Houston office was only good under Jeff.

Feedback would be a gift.

Jan 19, 2015Corporate Recruiter

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Please don’t hesitate to connect with us at 403-515-6900 and ask to speak to our Director, People Services, so that we can better understand these ... More

6. Great place to learn

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company culture is very welcoming once you show that you will work hard.
    The friendships you make, make it nice to go to work.
    Great place to start a career in IT, the shared service desk will give you as much experience as you want, comparable to several years on a single client service desk

Cons

They lack on paying their employees appropriately
    Some people whine about favoritism
    Lack of growth in the US

Recognize how each of your people contribute to the company
    Give the service desk more credit for the success of the company

Dec 15, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to our attention! One of our People Services Advisors will be reviewing this and will action appropriately.

Striving to be great but some stumbling along the way!

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Long View Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere for monthly general meetings; work-life balance is good; strong support for employees; senior management listens to staff.

Cons

Need to hold your managers to keep promises on training; processes and procedures are not always followed or developed; inter-departmental communication/processes is still weak.

Be sure the managers you hiring are actually living and acting on the core values. Seek the advice of the long term employees on why they stay as opposed to leaving.

Systems Consultant

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, phenomenal technical depth and collaborative integrity among peers, great people at many layers. Truly enjoyed all of the events including an incredible holiday party held at Breckenridge. Still consider many people working there very close friends and hope they see me in the same light.

Cons

Failure to execute on one of the most intriguing advertised benefits: career-life planning. Network Consultant Team lead, while technically savvy and quick to respond to core networking skills assistance/advice/requests, lacks situational awareness with clients and seems inept at appreciating, or even intimidated by, extremely strong consultants on his team.

Support your people as individual contributing adults. Two solid examples would be accepting a consultant's ethics of building strong business relationships over challenging their ethics by telling them to bill more hours in retrospectives, and reaching out to better understand where each consultant has challenges over burdening them with additional busy work that could be assigned to the team leads (or even an administrative assistant).

Most unorganized company I've ever worked for!

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company parties and gatherings and pay was good

Cons

Management, no room for advancement. Poor communication

Screen management better, put some policies in place so employee can know what's going on

consulting company best used for contract work, Look elsewhere for long term employment

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Long View Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked to refer to LVS as a contract/staff-aug company that provides the benefit of a "aflac insurance" policy. What I mean by this is some times when your contract ends at a client site LVS will place you at another client. You keep billing and you get a pay check.

Cons

Extra work performed over your 40 isn't really paid out at a rate that encourages extra work to be performed. Typical PBR for employees is around 15% of your profit to the company. Lets say you bill out at $75.00 per hour, you might get as much as $11.25 per hour, deduct 40% of that for tax's since its a bonus and you get $6.75. With that said no one knows the actual math that goes into the black box they use to calculate your monthly bonus.

Show your people the math behind PBR bonuses and speak to it. Leadership in Denver is lacking. They give the impression that they only care about revenue and don't care about the needs of the individual contributors. I've heard working in Canada is much better then the US when working for LVS.

What a mess!!!!

I worked at Long View Systems full-time

Pros

Decent benefits. That is truly the only good thing I can say

Cons

Most corrupt, disorganized mess I've ever been a part of. Corrupt practices, weird corporate relations.

Clean up your act!