Long & Foster Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Pros
  • Great training, people, and culture (in 3 reviews)

• Largest firm in the mid-atlantic states (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not so much the companies fault but the real estate world is crazy in its self (in 4 reviews)

Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Leasing in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Leasing in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster

Pros

Generally progressive company with significant stability. The company has multiple business lines that allow them to remain in good financial shape. The owner of the company is truly a top notch person

Cons

Perks are minimal, growth opportunity is limited, no prospects of mobility anywhere in the company except at very low levels, below par help desk and disconnected leadership

Advice to Management

Improve employee morale by having free coffee, annual holiday event where everyone is invited and increase opportunities for training and education

2. Good money, but upper management lacks morals and accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, bonuses and vacation time were good. The new facility was nice. Ample opportunity to move around the company to different departments.

Cons

Upper management disengaged. Concerns brought to them or HR were swept under the rug. Gossip was rampant - even with upper management participating and not acting professional toward their staff.

3. Fast Paced, Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - CRES Real Estate Coordinator in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - CRES Real Estate Coordinator in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CRES Division. Great support from the Director, JP. Very willing to be a teacher to those who need assistance. Very knowledgeable in the industry.

Cons

Family run company that is at times challenging, but what company isn't?

Advice to Management

Trust, but verify

5. Tough experience

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A variety of experiences and exposure to multiple technologies.

Cons

No regular evaluations for five years. Equipment failing with no plan to replace other than talk of the equipment going away. Jobs replaced by outsourcing.

Advice to Management

Provide regular employee evaluations regardless of the real estate market.

6. Sr. Accountant

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best and biggest private companies to work in, and probably the best experience ever because of the work enviroment.

Cons

Probably the Pros has also to do with the Cons, which in this case is that in such a huge company is very difficult to have a detailed relationship with the employees.

Advice to Management

none, Management is and always have been doing a great and professional job making the company in one of the leader in the real estate industry.

Poor management, this company has the potential to be so much better...disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO and relatively good pay

Cons

No training! I started expecting a formal training. I had no experience in insurance, but I had a bachelors degree. The management is uneducated so they think having a bachelors degree means you are smart enough to start a job and just know everything without training. They just throw out false gestures like, if you need you can come to me. Well with no training, you can assume I needed lots of help. So much that I could not find someone who was available to answer every question I had. If you have no training you will have more questions than you are able to remember.

They basically just gave me mountains of things to do and then complained when I could not get it all done in a "timely manner." I was provided with none of the basic things I needed to do my job. I didn't even know I needed it until my coworkers, not my boss, informed me I did. How does one ask for things they don't know they need?! They set me up for failure. Now months later they had a coworker come in to train me basic things I should have known months ago, because the boss of the other team decided to. Once again my direct boss did nothing. And the person that is her boss is the most unprofessional person in the world. I have never worked somewhere before that it is acceptable for you boss to curse people over the phone at his desk, and nothing happens to him.

They wonder why there is such a high turnover rate. It's not the employees, its the management that prevents anyone from doing their job successfully. The clients know L&F stinks as well because they never get called back. This is a terrible poorly organized company.

Advice to Management

Hire some bosses that know what they are doing

Antiquated people and systems

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Consistent paycheck, decent pay, nice headquarter building to work from

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management-- a very 'secretive' environment, treat employees poorly, side with management when employees have concerns or feedback, HR department does not advocate for employees

Advice to Management

More employees would leave if the job market were better-- all of the people in my old department were actively looking for new jobs. Once the market improves, there will be a lot of attrition.

Horribly unethical company

Former Employee - Information Systems in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Information Systems in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Only some of the people that work there are great. They are the only thing that makes it worth it.

Cons

It is a horrible company culture. Management can't even trust their own. The VPs can't even approve a $50 spend. There is no trust at all levels. VPs abuse employees by demanding for personal favors. Even if you do have a complaint, there is no method in the company to file a complaint. Sexual harassment is ramped and most senior managers are having affairs with subordinates.

Top heavy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great 401k & profit sharing benefits.

Cons

No communication between departments. Everything is handled on a case by case basis. Too many executives that are battling for control.

Advice to Management

Invest in current employees. Treat employees as well as you do your real estate agents. Stop spending money on executive and upper management, consider allocating money towards technology and recruitment efforts to hire quality employees to reduce turnover rates.

11. An exciting place to be! The leadership team is making positive changes to enhance the employee & customer experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing, ever-changing and evolving in a positive direction. Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity!

Cons

Because of so many changes it's a bit overwhelming, but it's still exciting. In the next 6-8 months employees will see great technical advances!

Advice to Management

Communication from all levels needs to be sustained and continuous. Implementing employee recognition programs will boost morale and enhance loyalty.

RSS Feed </> Embed