Long & Foster

Realtor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBig
Huge Headquarters
Nice colors on their signs

ConsThey say they are a state of the art company but they have antiquated agent training . Having managers train when they are not teachers, making ever office busy with training when the heck is selling going on,. Busy work does not a great company make. Leave training to the pros.
The company has outdated hardware, software and facilities and the most unfriendly agent office enviorment anywhere. who ever heard of conducting business sitting on a bar stool. They are out to get money from agents by charging them for everything, so agents become mini profit centers with no management happening and no company support. Try another company if you want a fair deal and not a great deal of bull. Try it you will not like it.

Bring Back Wes.

Advice to Senior Managemententer this century. don't think that advertising in the Wall Street Journal is the be all and end all. Get rid of the bar stools and office training it make too much fuss in offices and not enought time to have a manger work with agents who need help

Poor management, this company has the potential to be so much better...disappointing

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time for less than a year

ProsPTO and relatively good pay

ConsNo training! I started expecting a formal training. I had no experience in insurance, but I had a bachelors degree. The management is uneducated so they think having a bachelors degree means you are smart enough to start a job and just know everything without training. They just throw out false gestures like, if you need you can come to me. Well with no training, you can assume I needed lots of help. So much that I could not find someone who was available to answer every question I had. If you have no training you will have more questions than you are able to remember.

They basically just gave me mountains of things to do and then complained when I could not get it all done in a "timely manner." I was provided with none of the basic things I needed to do my job. I didn't even know I needed it until my coworkers, not my boss, informed me I did. How does one ask for things they don't know they need?! They set me up for failure. Now months later they had a coworker come in to train me basic things I should have known months ago, because the boss of the other team decided to. Once again my direct boss did nothing. And the person that is her boss is the most unprofessional person in the world. I have never worked somewhere before that it is acceptable for you boss to curse people over the phone at his desk, and nothing happens to him.

They wonder why there is such a high turnover rate. It's not the employees, its the management that prevents anyone from doing their job successfully. The clients know L&F stinks as well because they never get called back. This is a terrible poorly organized company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some bosses that know what they are doing

An exciting place to be! The leadership team is making positive changes to enhance the employee & customer experience!

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGrowing, ever-changing and evolving in a positive direction. Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity!

ConsBecause of so many changes it's a bit overwhelming, but it's still exciting. In the next 6-8 months employees will see great technical advances!

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication from all levels needs to be sustained and continuous. Implementing employee recognition programs will boost morale and enhance loyalty.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwhelmed

Applications Support Analyst II (Former Employee)

I worked at Long & Foster

ProsThe benefits package is actually pretty good. Starting out you get 17 days of combined sick and vacation time per year. Onsite gym. Fringe benefits if you need to buy or sell a house. Mostly good people to work with in the IT dept.

ConsSalary in the IT dept is abysmal compared to similar positions elsewhere, on the order of 30% below market or more. The dept has gone through round after round of lay offs only to have senior managers remain with essentially no staff to manage. Why do we need two VPs, a director, three senior managers and a coupe of managers for less than 50 people?

No standards are enforced, only constant is that the CIO will not tell an agent that they can't have something. Outsourced help desk in Mexico and outsourced field engineers for break fix issues Development of internal apps is actually done in India, and departmental training is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management, especially in the IT dept is in need of a wake up call. They need to offer truly competitive salaries if they want to modernize systems and retain any of their competent people instead of laying off competent staff while keeping incompetent managers and staffers around just because they have however many years with the dept. They also need to actively assist with professional development to retain people, rather than hoping the economy will keep people in place.

Don't work at Headquarters in Chantilly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Long & Foster

ProsHealth benefits were decent and time off was adequate. Lots a pointless birthday parties where you get food and cake. Most of my coworkers were nice.

ConsThis was not a real estate agent position. It was administrative. Don't expect to get promoted anywhere or ever get a raise. I applied for a job in another department down the hall that would have been a much better fit over my entry-level position. I had the blessing of both VPs in both departments, but HR wouldn't let me move because I hadn't been there 90 days. I lost the job to someone else because they needed it filled. I spent the next year and a half with no where to move (up) and no raise in sight. I became so very frustrated and left with much less respect for this well-known, regional real estate company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the little people that you stomp on every day to make your millions, Mr. Foster. Also, the HR department is the most unprofessional bunch of people I've ever encountered. They do not believe in anonymity. They'll tell your boss every word you said, the moment you leave their office. Nepotism is rampant and at least one of the VPs is utterly useless.

Worked for Long & Foster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Long & Foster reviews and ratings in Chantilly, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Long & Foster CEO P. Wesley Foster Jr. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Long & Foster employees.