Long & Foster Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Pros
  • Great training, people, and culture (in 3 reviews)

• Largest firm in the mid-atlantic states (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not so much the companies fault but the real estate world is crazy in its self (in 4 reviews)

1. Long & Foster Insurance - Insurance Agent

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working here for almost 4 years, there is a long list of Pros. For one, management practices an "open door policy" meaning if you have an idea, a complaint or even a comment - they are more than willing to listen and have a conversation. Also, they are constantly making strides to enhance the technology within the agency - they were told the laptops were dying & phones were outdated, and they listened...if the technology stands in your way of being productive & efficient- they will fix it. Just like any job - you get what you put in. If you make the effort to go the extra mile & invest yourself, they will invest in you. There is another insurance post which I'm almost certain references myself as I just recently resigned. The comments were taken out of context & are not completely accurate. It was an emotional departure due to my time spent there - however I would recommend this job to anyone that can work hard, with a positive attitude & willing to learn.

Cons

As for challenges - the culture surrounding the Real Estate industry can be a bit of a challenge. As most of the "leads" are provided from the agents...it has been set up as a "I demand, you supply" environment. No fault to the "core partners" - simply just old practices being carried on to current day. the key is to work well with different personalities and keep a "customer service" attitude.

Advice to Management

More sales/service contests to boost motivation & reward results

2. Great Brand Recognition

Former Employee - Realtor
    Former Employee - Realtor

I worked at Long & Foster

Pros

Great company to work for. Provides you with the tools you need to sell houses. Commission splits are very competitive.

Cons

I didn't feel that a lot of their leads were very hot, but if you can create your own leads not a problem.

Advice to Management

Creating new ways to get agents leads would be very helpful.

3. not a place to be if you are an average sale agent

Current Employee - Realtor in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Long & Foster (More than 8 years)

Pros

good network to log in from home

Cons

commission scale is not negotiable. You need to pay out of pocket for a better commission. years of experience does not matter anymore. leads on personal listings through company websites are not your leads. I guess the leads if any are given to top producers. ??? Managers cater to top producers and pull the wool over your eyes if you are new to the company until the next new agent comes along... They seem to just care about the number of agents they can get under one roof.... quantity not quality with them. If you can't do every aspect of your job by yourself I wouldn't work here. Support staff is great but they have little time to help bc they don't hire enough people to run the office.

Advice to Management

go back to old way of doing things! make office meetings reporting of agents productivity for the week so we can help each other sell more properties in house. There is nothing worse them trying to make the office meeting and you have someone there to sell us the latest marketing product... Go back to traditional commission splits so we are motivated to earn that higher pay scale... it is slap in the face when a rookie makes the same as someone 20+ years in the business.

5. Nice Place to Work Overall

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

Wonderful Branch Manager and Regional VP, very kind employees and agents

Cons

Headquarters is difficult to work with, and is more or less stuck in the 80's, refusing to update their policies, marketing materials, and even their website.

Advice to Management

Update everything, and keep up with all of the new boutique agencies popping up in DC

6. manager

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great leadership, ethics, integrity, honest

Cons

size -a large organization presents challenges for any leadership to run efficiently and effectively but our size also gives us many advantages

7. Real Estate Agent

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Long & Foster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you good support and training; in addition you don't need to pay for your office space, you can use any Long and Foster office in the country, and you don't pay for your prints at the office.

Cons

Because you don't pay for office space or prints they take a bigger percentage from your check when you sell a house

Advice to Management

In today's environment social media is really important. I would suggest the office teaches, or organizes seminars about personal social media presence and how it would help their business.

Long and Foster Insurance Review

Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Insurance Service Representative in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

I really do not have too much positive to say about this company, The benefits are ok.

Cons

There is absolutely no structure, the company hires the kids of the high ranking officials and they receive better treatment. Management is lacking in common sense. Some employees can do anything and are almost never held accountable for their actions, The pay is horrible. They over work you and wonder why the turn over is so high. They made an ex-coworker cry by calling her names when she put in her 2 weeks notice and told her to go, This was heartbreaking because she was there for 4 years and they always treated her like she was the greatest person in the company, until she quit. Management talks about to other employees about other employees(very unprofessional). They are not honest period. I have worked for other insurance companies and this by far has been the worst experience. I am currently in the process of looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

Fire the current management team and replace with more well qualified people.

9. Top heavy; doesn't take care of the pegs on the wheel

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People. plain and simple. we are in this together if you are not one of the chosen which are a very small handful.

Cons

terrible raises. mediocre benefits. try to rally you to do community service or charitable things through them so the Foster family gets tax break..... I will do my own thing. Thank you very much. Top heavy on management who reap all the benefits.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the agents only. the rest of us work hard and should be rewarded.

10. RUN DO NOT take a job if offered - WORST Co. to work for

I have been working at Long & Foster

Pros

I don't have anything nice to say.

Cons

The people - Extremely POOR upper management, no morals! GOSSIP central.

Advice to Management

I hope you find something besides money and popularity to make you happy (sic)

11. Stay Away

I worked at Long & Foster full-time

Pros

Nice building with free parking.

Cons

Nepostism at the top. Poor dissemination of info from leadership. Top management is it's own clique and makes it known if you're not on their level. Top many unnecessary assistants for not management. One department can have 2 assistants for 1 person and neither will coordinate with each other. HR tries forcing charitable giving on its staff so the foster family can save on taxes

Advice to Management

Just dissolve and go away

RSS Feed </> Embed