Long & Foster

P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Great company for 1st year

Current Employee - Realtor  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great training, people, and culture

Cons

Really low split that is non negotiable

Large Company Real Estate Office

Former Employee - Realtor  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Realtor in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Large company so there is name recognition and presence in the market.

Cons

You are just a number to your broker. Little individual attention. You may never know or meet half of the agents in your office. Charge a lot of fees.

Wonderful Coworkers, Moderate work environment, terrible employer.

Former Employee - Media Specialist  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Rockville, MD

Pros

The folks who work here are fantastic. Each of them works hard, and the camaraderie that everyone feels towards helping each other through the work day is fantastic. Occasionally, there are team activities or lunches out, however, none of this makes up for the fact that the company struggles from disorganized, micromanaging leadership.

Cons

Apart from incredibly low pay, no benefits, and a corporate management style that micromanages, over promises and under delivers, and seeks to undermine employee advancement it's a great place to work.

Get a business plan, stick to that plan, and let your employees do their job without questioning and second guessing each decision you've hired them to make.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Pros

Excellent benefits, great salary and wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

Nothing at this time.

I worked with good people , most were more than willing to help

Former Employee - Agent  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Agent in Baltimore, MD

Pros

always willing to help, nice hours , good equipment , good location

Cons

gave most leads the the gold teams, gave company ads to Gold teams , Mgt catered to gold teams ....... I

share front desk time with all

Poor management, this company has the potential to be so much better...disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

PTO and relatively good pay

Cons

No training! I started expecting a formal training. I had no experience in insurance, but I had a bachelors degree. The management is uneducated so they think having a bachelors degree means you are smart enough to start a job and just know everything without training. They just throw out false gestures like, if you need you can come to me. Well with no training, you can assume I needed lots of help. So much that I could not find someone who was available to answer every question I had. If you have no training you will have more questions than you are able to remember.

They basically just gave me mountains of things to do and then complained when I could not get it all done in a "timely manner." I was provided with none of the basic things I needed to do my job. I didn't even know I needed it until my coworkers, not my boss, informed me I did. How does one ask for things they don't know they need?! They set me up for failure. Now months later they had a coworker come in to train me basic things I should have known months ago, because the boss of the other team decided to. Once again my direct boss did nothing. And the person that is her boss is the most unprofessional person in the world. I have never worked somewhere before that it is acceptable for you boss to curse people over the phone at his desk, and nothing happens to him.

They wonder why there is such a high turnover rate. It's not the employees, its the management that prevents anyone from doing their job successfully. The clients know L&F stinks as well because they never get called back. This is a terrible poorly organized company.

Hire some bosses that know what they are doing

Long & Foster goes above and beyond to help their agents succeed.

Current Employee - Realtor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Realtor in Washington, DC

Pros

They have the most extensive training for new agents that I've seen, a great commission split plan, my manager is the most supportive and helpful person in the world, they have a fantastic reputation and are above board in all aspects.

Cons

I really don't have any cons to share!

We need to pick up our technology. The smaller firms should not be beating us out in their offerings of company wide listing presentations available on the iPad or things like professionally shot neighborhood video tours.

Great

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Washington, DC

Pros

Good for people who want to be in sales.

Cons

Hard to start up as a new agent. Lots of fees.

Company needs to change how they do things.

Pros

People generally like their co-workers. Nice facilities at corporate, nice garage. Work hours are good.

Cons

Lack of communication is rampant- company exists completely in silo's. You have either been here forever or a very short time- hardly anyone in the middle. HR needs a lot of work- they seem to push managements pet projects and completely miss major opportunity's to make things better. Things seem to be same old, same old. Company seems to want to make changes they just don't know how.

Communicate better! Be more inclusive of employees. Managers push their agenda even though it's not always beneficial for the company. Managers can be seen as bully's sometimes. Pay can be better. Extremely political environment- would be much better if people actually worked together for the common good.

Simply the Best in Real Estate!

Pros

Focused on growth and increased productivity of agents. Committed to development of leadership. Experienced executive leadership provides structure and systems of a Fortune 500 while the family-owned reality is still very evident in every office.

Cons

As a company grows, communication and collaboration becomes both a greater challenge and a more necessary reality - Long and Foster is addressing this reality with multiple initiatives.

Take one of the best Benefits packages in Real Estate and make it competitive with other industries. Maintain high visibility and high touch that made Long and Foster so great!

Worked for Long & Foster? Contribute to the Community!