Long & Foster Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
3.4
P. Wesley Foster Jr.

Pros
  • Great training, people, and culture (in 3 reviews)

• Market Position Mid Atlantic gives realtors exposure to a greater volume of transactions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Office expenses should be covered by my commission split (in 2 reviews)

• Not so much the companies fault but the real estate world is crazy in its self (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company to work

I worked at Long & Foster

Pros

Great learning programs for new agents, no desk fees, very helpful management and co-workers.

Cons

Commissions splits are not very good for someone with no sales experience

2. Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Leasing in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Leasing in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster

Pros

Generally progressive company with significant stability. The company has multiple business lines that allow them to remain in good financial shape. The owner of the company is truly a top notch person

Cons

Perks are minimal, growth opportunity is limited, no prospects of mobility anywhere in the company except at very low levels, below par help desk and disconnected leadership

Improve employee morale by having free coffee, annual holiday event where everyone is invited and increase opportunities for training and education

3. Not bad, but not good

I have been working at Long & Foster

Pros

Gives you all the tools you could possibly need to acquire customers

Cons

Terrible Guidance for new agents

More training

5. Worst morale of any company I have ever worked. The shared services teams were miserable with lack of leadership.

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Found some good people in lower level positions- the higher up the position the less moral compass the person had

Cons

no advancement, bonuses, and horrible work/life balance. If they want to compete with getting you and fresh talent they need to open up telework, flex schedules, better benefits

6. Long & Foster is a great company for realtors looking for a fair compensation package and great support

Current Contractor - Realtor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Realtor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Long & Foster as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The management structure works very well. There are always front line managers readily accessible when in need, yet the company does a great job of allowing all managers to share their expertise with offices throughout the region. The company invests tremendously in branding, specifically with the luxury package. This allows realtors to compete within any segment.

Cons

As with any real estate office, lead generation is key, so you will want to make yourself available to clients at all reasonable hours, especially when starting off. This can be detrimental to those looking for work-life balance. Each realtor is responsible for providing their own benefits and taxes as well.

Keep doing what you are doing. From the moment I became part of the company, I felt welcome, which is a stark contrast from other real estate brokers.

7. Good money, but upper management lacks morals and accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, bonuses and vacation time were good. The new facility was nice. Ample opportunity to move around the company to different departments.

Cons

Upper management disengaged. Concerns brought to them or HR were swept under the rug. Gossip was rampant - even with upper management participating and not acting professional toward their staff.

8. Amount the best choices for a Realtor

Current Employee - Realtor in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Realtor in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Long & Foster part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific Brand Recognition
    Professional Co-Workers
    Experienced Management
    Competitive splits
    L&F is truly a top competitor in the mid-Atlantic market
    I've worked at C21 & Keller. I think L&F is far superior.

Cons

Corporate Mentality
    Need to be a bit more outside the box
    Relo fee
    I find the office culture to be positive with a lot of support from management and co-workers.

Better Communication with agents. More townhall meetings.

9. Depends on the branch office

I worked at Long & Foster part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

WC & AN Miller is a subsidiary Long & Foster, Inc. I worked for 3 different branch offices over a period of 10 years. At Long and Foster, I was satisfied with the flexibility, support, regular hourly increases, accessible and fair management. High production was rewarded frequently with trips, parties, etc. The general morale was very positive and mutually supportive. There was a strong commitment by management to keep the large office cohesive and involved via mentoring programs, seminars, clubs, etc.

Cons

Moving to the Miller offices (because there were more hours available) was a decision I immediately regretted. Manager blatantly played favorites, morale was non-existent, no regard or support among the agents, truly an atmosphere of negativity. I was treated with absolute disrespect and downright derision. I spoke to human resources several times about the abuse and though they tried to be helpful, proceeding would have meant even more confrontation and I could not stomach that. I finally found another job, and quit abruptly (not something I would EVER do in anything but extraordinary circumstances). I forwarded my letter I of resignation to the owner, CEO, regional and district managers of Long & Foster outlining my experience. Never in 9 years I had never made a peep about anything, I had met them all on several occasions, and hoped for at the least an acknowledgement. I'm still waiting...

Be more discerning in the hiring/promotion process. Request feedback from employees and agents through surveys etc. on a regular basis.

10. Run...JUST. RUN.

I worked at Long & Foster full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The building is new so the work spaces and furnishings are current and clean, unlike the 1980s decor that exists in most of L&F's sales offices.

Cons

- Company-wide pay freezes were in place for all employees for 5 of the 7+ years I worked for L&F. For all I know, they could still be in place...
    - Perks? Don't be silly! L&F is notoriously cheap, cheap, cheap. Be ready to fork over $0.50 for a miniature cup of coffee.
    - One of those highest on the totem pole just adores his ivory tower, and rarely (if ever) ventures out to associate with his "minions".
    - Never, EVER trust anyone in HR as the entire department is corrupt, but that's to be expected.
    - Head of IT has a serious God complex, so consider yourself warned.
    - There has never been, and never will be, a shortage of lawsuits brought against L&F. Shocker.

Your business model just doesn't work, guys. That each department operates as its own little fiefdom, or "profit center" (as you call it), is laughable.

Great real estate company

Current Employee - Realtor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Long & Foster full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to learn the ins and outs of real estate, if you take the time to ask and you want to learn they will find a way to help.

Cons

Not so much the companies fault but the real estate world is crazy in its self. Working as a full time agent and depending on 100% commission can be scary.

Long & Foster Photos

HQ for Long and Foster Companies
Home Office
Long & Foster Realtors (Photo thanks to Flickr user Daquella manera, available under by v2.0)

+ Add Photo