Longs Drug

Updated November 27, 2014
3.4

Longs Drug CEO, President and CEO, CVS Caremark Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Great Work Life balance, Good Employee discount (in 3 reviews)

• Decent pay, great discount, good career advancement opportunities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not give raises every so often and they do not allow very many full time employees (in 3 reviews)

• low pay, lots of work per man hours (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great family run company until CVS destroyed them

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of loyal long term employees. Access to top people in the company when necessary. Loyal customer base

Cons

technology was behind competition when I started but lots of work done to change and get competitive. But it was really to position company to sell to CVS

Hard to believe you destroyed so many lives so a few could cash in. Ruined 50 years of good will created with very loyal customer base. Everyone hates the new company CVS

Great, worked as a floater

I worked at Longs Drug

Pros

I have been in the business so long that I worked as a floater, so would go to any of their locations and perform mu duties as a pharmacy text.

Cons

Just some personality issues when you work in a all female environment, and that is true usually any where.
    Also didn't give raises. .I was considered their top fee at $14 a hour.

Need to be more hands on. Pharmacy is separate from xfront end, and I don't acknowledge store manager, they don't have any clue of how busy etc.Pharmacist onlybshould we of had to answe to.

Good college job. Can't complain

Former Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Longs Drug part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The occasional great customer experience can really make your day
    -Fellow cashiers were mostly in the same boat as me (no real job experience, still in college, same age group) and even the senior cashiers were friendly and genuinely nice people.
    -Managers made every employee feel important and had close ties with the regular customers in the community (majority started out as cashiers or clerks and worked their way up).
    -As a student they worked around my schedule for the most part. I had to work a a few till-midnight shifts but at least I never worked the overnight shift (not all stores are 24-hours mind you)
    -They offered benefits to full-timers, but I'm not keen on the details.
    -If you are interested in working full-time they encourage advancement from the entry-level cashier job to working as a clerk in the warehouse, or a pharmacy tech, or even management.

Cons

-The occasional bad customer experience can really ruin your day
    -It's an entry level job so don't expect amazing compensation (but if you have previous cashier experience they give you a tiny boost)
    -If you have bad customer service skills, expect plenty of complaints from customers (which can lead to termination, something I have seen a few times)
    -If you are tall, expect to get asked if you play basketball/volleyball daily
    -If you are an attractive female, expect to get hit on daily (especially as a cashier since you can't leave the register)
    -If something doesn't scan properly, expect the customer to say "I guess it's free, haha"
    -If work reg.1, expect major stress at rush hour.
    -If 1-2 cashiers calls in sick, expect that you will never leave that register the entire shift and you will probably work OT (we rarely called in people to substitute sick people at my store, don't know if that policy was only for my store or for all stores).

Great Company, sad to see it go

Former Employee - Customer Service in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Modesto, CA

I worked at Longs Drug part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good customers. The people i worked with cared about making sure the employees and customers were happy. My boss was a hard worker and my co-workers had fun.

Cons

weird/irregular hours for cashiers. The break times were long which was good sometimes. It was my first job too which gave the experience to move on to a bigger and better things.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lake Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many at this job

Cons

Bad pay and no advancement

Better Pay and advancement opportunity

I am an excellent hard work that love to help people.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Longs Drug full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love helping other's, that just my passion.

Cons

Learning more and becoming more open with people.

Never turn your back on people who need you.

It's just a job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Longs Drug (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits , 401k company match

Cons

Heavy workload, unrealistic goals,extremely tight budget for running a store with such high expectations

E

Good.

I worked at Longs Drug

Pros

Store level employees not only are coworkers but a family relationship is established.

Cons

Hourly pay rates are lower than average and raises are very low.

Remember if it wasn't for the little people at store level, customers would not continue to make that company grow. They work hard and give it their all even when it goes unnoticed.

Terrible.

I have been working at Longs Drug

Pros

Free parking, close to home, easy work, in doors. Get to deal with friendly co-workers. Regular customers can be a pleasure to deal with.

Cons

Low pay. Many hours on feet, a lot of bending and lifting. Nasty customers, and shoplifters. Horrible working hours.

Better pay and hours.

Interesting

Current Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Longs Drug part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, new relationships, some great customers, leaning new things

Cons

A lot of rude customer's that think they are better and always know better. Can get very hectic and busy and people are very impatient. CVS makes things a lot more complicated and their system is extremely slow and needs to be updated.

Listen to what the employees are saying in their comments and not only because a lot complained about it but even the small things especially to make it easier on everyone