Longs Drug Reviews

Reset

1. Great co-workers, but hated the corporate take-over

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kailua, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Kailua, HI

I worked at Longs Drug part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I loved my co-workers. Working at Long's was my first job, but I really did make a bond with pretty much everyone there and left on good terms. I actually became close friends with several of them. Everyone who worked there made working there a great experience. - The customers were really great for the most part. When I do shop in the area, and see some of them, we always stop to talk for a while. -The benefits! The health, stock share, and they even gave you your birthday off with pay! Of course, if you wanted to work anyway, it was worth double. - This one is both good and bad, but holidays were always REALLY busy, especially at our store which is 24/7. It made for some really great overtime, and usually a really easy work day. I worked Thanksgiving 2013, and Black Friday 2013. Thanksgiving was by far the easiest, but most boring shift I've ever had to work. I had maybe 50 customers all day, and made double what I usually made. Black friday was awful. It was super busy, but because we needed the help I worked for 13 hours that day. I got paid double for the extra 5 hours.

Cons

- Relating back to the previous section, they work you. I mean, they WORK YOU. You're expected to do about a hundred and one things all at once and still provide customer service. It's really overwhelming sometimes, and it doesn't help when you get scolded at the end of the day for not finishing everything. - MANAGEMENT. Lately CVS has been cracking down on the managers that act too much like a clerk or they're too nice. So these managers start acting differently. They start just doing everything to save themselves, and help no one else. They began writing everyone up for things that were never told we weren't supposed to do, or enforcing policy that was never written. - Which brings me to my next and last, CORPORATE. For those who don't know, Long's is owned by CVS, but we're different than other CVS stores. I'm not going to get into the hairy details, but I will say that they made working there a very exhausting, and unpleasant experience. There was always a constant threat that you could be easily be replaced because of every little mistake you made (like jamming the receipt printer, or your register computer screen freezing).

Advice to Management

Treat us like actual people for the love of God! Cutting worker's hours just so that you make more money, or not giving a crap because we're "part-timers" is how you lose all of your workers. That's how you lose a good reputation, and your company won't survive without anyone to work for you. Last thing, there is no reason to have the store open past midnight. NO ONE COMES IN. Let night crew close up the store, and if you want the store to actually look nice, have a couple people come in overnight to re-fill and stock the shelves while no one is in there.

2. Aloha?

Pros

Get to see people that you have not seen in a long time

Cons

Benefits not the same - losing a lot of it

Advice to Management

take care your people so they stay a long time

3. Great people

I have been working at Longs Drug full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working retail, this is a great place to work. Very diversified...

Cons

Workload, and not enough help

5. Great family run company until CVS destroyed them

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of loyal long term employees. Access to top people in the company when necessary. Loyal customer base

Cons

technology was behind competition when I started but lots of work done to change and get competitive. But it was really to position company to sell to CVS

Advice to Management

Hard to believe you destroyed so many lives so a few could cash in. Ruined 50 years of good will created with very loyal customer base. Everyone hates the new company CVS

6. Great, worked as a floater

Pros

I have been in the business so long that I worked as a floater, so would go to any of their locations and perform mu duties as a pharmacy text.

Cons

Just some personality issues when you work in a all female environment, and that is true usually any where. Also didn't give raises. .I was considered their top fee at $14 a hour.

Advice to Management

Need to be more hands on. Pharmacy is separate from xfront end, and I don't acknowledge store manager, they don't have any clue of how busy etc.Pharmacist onlybshould we of had to answe to.

7. Good college job. Can't complain

Former Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Longs Drug part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The occasional great customer experience can really make your day -Fellow cashiers were mostly in the same boat as me (no real job experience, still in college, same age group) and even the senior cashiers were friendly and genuinely nice people. -Managers made every employee feel important and had close ties with the regular customers in the community (majority started out as cashiers or clerks and worked their way up). -As a student they worked around my schedule for the most part. I had to work a a few till-midnight shifts but at least I never worked the overnight shift (not all stores are 24-hours mind you) -They offered benefits to full-timers, but I'm not keen on the details. -If you are interested in working full-time they encourage advancement from the entry-level cashier job to working as a clerk in the warehouse, or a pharmacy tech, or even management.

Cons

-The occasional bad customer experience can really ruin your day -It's an entry level job so don't expect amazing compensation (but if you have previous cashier experience they give you a tiny boost) -If you have bad customer service skills, expect plenty of complaints from customers (which can lead to termination, something I have seen a few times) -If you are tall, expect to get asked if you play basketball/volleyball daily -If you are an attractive female, expect to get hit on daily (especially as a cashier since you can't leave the register) -If something doesn't scan properly, expect the customer to say "I guess it's free, haha" -If work reg.1, expect major stress at rush hour. -If 1-2 cashiers calls in sick, expect that you will never leave that register the entire shift and you will probably work OT (we rarely called in people to substitute sick people at my store, don't know if that policy was only for my store or for all stores).

8. Great Company, sad to see it go

Former Employee - Customer Service in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Modesto, CA

I worked at Longs Drug part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good customers. The people i worked with cared about making sure the employees and customers were happy. My boss was a hard worker and my co-workers had fun.

Cons

weird/irregular hours for cashiers. The break times were long which was good sometimes. It was my first job too which gave the experience to move on to a bigger and better things.

9. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lake Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Longs Drug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many at this job

Cons

Bad pay and no advancement

Advice to Management

Better Pay and advancement opportunity

10. I am an excellent hard work that love to help people.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Longs Drug full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love helping other's, that just my passion.

Cons

Learning more and becoming more open with people.

Advice to Management

Never turn your back on people who need you.

11. It's just a job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Longs Drug (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits , 401k company match

Cons

Heavy workload, unrealistic goals,extremely tight budget for running a store with such high expectations

Advice to Management

E

RSS Feed </> Embed