Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging

www.longfibre.com

Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging Reviews

Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging – Longview – “Longview Fibre”

Randy Nebel

Long time worker seen many changes.

Production (Current Employee) Longview, WA

ProsBenefit Packages
    Company has turned around and has become profitable.
    Incorporated many new system and process enhancements to help the environment and production.
    Longevity Plan (They should be around for a long time)
    There are a lot of good smart people here locally.
    Many local communities to live and commute from.
    Still one of the better paying jobs in the area.

ConsBenefit Packages are continually decreasing. (The New World Class Paper Mills)
    Pay is decent but doe's not come close to keeping up with inflation.
    No paid or unpaid Sick Leave. Company touts safety but is truly more interested in production. Hide injury's to boost their numbers, they call it managing injury's.
    All accidents or injury's are the fault of the employee's bar none.
    Job security is no longer present, Union or "No Union".
    Do not recognize employee involvement as part of the reason they have become successful. "Presidential Awards" (Money) are given to "yes men" with no respect to the lower ranks. When they do recognize them the are trivial trinkets that gender more discontent than adoration.
    Most lower level managers are good people but are continually berated by the upper hierarchy.
    Workers are afraid to make a mistake in lieu of repercussions.
    Hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to recognize it's employees for what we have all achieved and reward us in like fashion. Benefit Packages could increase instead of decrease. Pay increases could set at or above inflation.
    Listen to your employee's and stop the heavy handed approach, you would be surprised at the amount of cooperation and involvement you would get. In short treat all your employee's with dignity and respect and in turn it will come to you.

Like working in a death trap with a demoralized work force in a depressed drug ridden town ?

Process Analyst (Current Employee) Longview, WA

ProsDecent pay but look at your surroundings. Do not relocate to this town.

ConsHorrible safety record one of the worst in the paper industry
    Depressed work force
    Lack of process control.
    Worked input is not valued.
    Layoffs were common at the time time but may have settled down.
    Workers are blamed for problems. Systematic problem solving is not practiced.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your company culture and try to change years of beating up on your employees.
    Listen to your employees.
    Develop an open culture. Develop tools for problem solving. Bench mark companies using lean manufacturing principles to solve problems instead of fire fighting.

Corporate goals discount importance of customers and employee. Money mill for Brookfield.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThrough my experience with the company. Over time it has gone from a company to be proud of. Once a beacon of Longview. To just another machine sending meat to the grinder.

ConsExecutive management completely detached from daily functions of the company itself. Supervision lacks discipline, and focus. Blame gets placed on lower ranks far to easily. For fear of termination from high ranks. Formally social and health work environment has turn hostile. Contracts have butchered benefits of pay status have been diminished. Not recommended as a good work environment. Pay scale off base of comparable companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive attention is brought to those that tout the company tune, and keep the light off of declining conditions within the mill. A company with an eventual future buried in the dust by foriegn competition. Companies declining care for it's work force and degrading supply machinery. Inline with true core values.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dysfunctional, misaligned management

Manager (Current Employee) Longview, WA

ProsCompensation is at market
    Benefits at market
    Focus on employee safety

ConsLeadership team is not aligned
    Communication is completely hierarchical, and much like the game of Telephone
    Promotions occur based on who used the right catch-phrases, then people are removed from positions when leaders realize the person they promoted wasn't competent
    No expectation that leaders approach things in a similar fashion
    Vendors selected based on personal affiliations

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the job market. The exodus has begun.

Badly Managed Box Plants

Sales (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe mill is managed fairly well.

ConsIn my opinion, the box plants are completely mismanaged; originating from top management were there is a culture of disrespect for both employees and customers. An investment company owns Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging and there is little or no emphasis on serving customers. Moral is very low due to the heavy-handed approach of regional management. Turn-over is very high. I would strongly advise against working at any of the box plants, unless your desperate for short term work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire regional managers that know how to motivate sales/support teams.

Technical Engineer Entry level

Technical Engineer (Former Employee) Longview, WA

ProsLongview Fibre Paper and Packaging has great employee benefits. They give comp time when necessary. The work environment encourages personal growth.

ConsThe relocation benefits were very low. The chances for advancement and pay raises are slow and in very small increments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around at other paper companies and match their relocation packages and pay. This would help you attract good employees and retain them.

Longview Fibre

ProsContinuously evolving company that is striving to be world class. Eighty year old company that was recently (2007) bough by Brookfield Capital, and has been working ever since to improve efficiencies and compete with larger national players.

ConsTurn over has been a bit high, but not too unusual as Longview "finds itself." Some long time employees may still be a little resistant to change. Commute could be a con for those living in Portland/Vancouver area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at it, but don't lose sight of the efforts/gains that are (have been) made along the way.

Struggling but Troubled

ProsGOod compensation
    innovation is encouraged
    Company is actually surviving while others drown in debt
    Some good dedicated folks
    Longview needs this mill

ConsNo balance between life & work
    propensity to action much more valued than "look before you leap".
    Administrative side dysfunctional from the top down.

If you are in the club you are alright

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost co-workers were good to work with.

ConsHow management treats employees, no value given, high turnovers. No family life while working there. Job security does not exist. A job done very well does not mean you will have job security. Knee jerk reactions from management. Tell you one thing do another.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen it would not matter. More Value to employees.

Not that great at all

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsLend a helping hand
    Life is beautiful. Being a part of something that matters and working on products in which you can believe is remarkably fulfilling.
    Appreciation is the best motivation.
    * These are things you wish you had here.

ConsGood company everywhere you look.
    No matter what their backgrounds it makes for interesting cube mates.
    Uniting the world, one user at a time. People use our products. As such we think, act, and work to make the world a better place.
    Boldly go where no one has gone before. There are hundreds of challenges yet to solve. Your creative ideas matter here and are worth exploring.
    Yeah right

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation is our bloodline. Even the best technology can be improved. We see endless opportunity to create even more relevant, more useful, and faster products for our users.

Worked for Longview Fibre Paper and Packaging? Contribute to the Community!