Longwood Gardens

Longwood Gardens Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Incredible people, amazing experience.

Intern (Former Employee)
Kennett Square, PA

I worked at Longwood Gardens full-time for less than a year

ProsBeing able to see the gardens without the visitors and being able to see the gardens every day.

ConsRare openings for full time employment.

Best place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Longwood Gardens

Prosit is a beautiful place to work, happiest staff I have ever worked with, good internal communication, free memberships/discounts to gardens for staff and families

Consopen 365 days a year so don't expect much time off for holidays

I have enjoyed 13 years of challenging technical work at Longwood

Senior Performance Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Longwood Gardens full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnvironment of a garden, competent superiors, national stage

Conssome territorialism, not enough hours

Advice to Senior Managementexpand performing arts venues to major indoor venue

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Longwood Gardens

ProsGood Management, Friendly Environment, decent pay. Good Hours, Holiday pay.

ConsWorking in the holidays seems like it would be bad but people are always happy!

great benefits but a a dead end job

Horticulture (Current Employee)

I have been working at Longwood Gardens full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are generous, a nice setting, and a safe workplace. A great team of co-workers and nice tools and equipment to do your job right.

ConsYour experience can vary greatly depending on what you do. Some managers are great and lead a fantastic team. I am not so fortunate and work in a team/division that is plagued with poor management and under-qualified leaders. You will be asked to do more and more with dwindling resources, and you will receive very little recognition and no increase in pay for your rapidly accumulating responsibilities. So many management functions are pushed down to the staff level and the distribution of work is very unfair. This is hard work with less than fair pay for what you do. The employee functions and events are uninspiring and the company lacks heart and soul. So much talent is suppressed by very few decision makers and fear is the primary tool for motivation. Most people perform for fear of losing their job or being reprimanded rather than for passion and love of the job and company. This is a great place to work for a while for great benefits and to build your resume, then move on - your talents will not be recognized and opportunities for learning, growth, or promotion are minimal at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace ineffective managers, increase staffing in horticulture, create a culture of passion and desire and stop managing by fear. Take care of your people and restore a sense of fun and family.

Best place to work as an intern no doubt

Outdoor Display Intern (Former Employee)
Kennett Square, PA

I worked at Longwood Gardens as an intern for less than a year

Pros-endless opportunity outside daily work

Cons-None! Maybe that I couldn't stay there forever!

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, keep it up!

Lower Level Managment needs to be replaced

VSA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

ProsThe environment is amazing. The work is not hard and you get to make connections with the guests. It is the most relaxing job I have ever had.

ConsThe "boss" of the VSA's is over worked and it causes vast mismanagement. He has more than one department and this causes him to be virtually out of the inner workings of the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving the VSA's split between information Center and Conservatory with a new manager for each one would help them all do their jobs more effectively. I get no leadership from management because they are not focused on the Conservatory VSA's

Limited advancement opportunities for gardeners

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

ProsIt's a beautiful place to work, I have incredible co-workers, and there are amazing horticulture displays. I think it's a great place to work if you're in upper management.

ConsAs a gardener, there is little opportunity for upward mobility, and surprisingly low pay. Many of the gardeners here have to work side jobs just to make ends meet. Considering that gardening here is very physically demanding, this can be very discouraging. Also, although the gardeners do an amazing job, they receive little recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementHorticultural displays are the main reason people visit, so the organization should value those who create them. I would like to see the gap between the gardeners and upper management lessened.

A great place to visit!

---------------- (Former Employee)

I worked at Longwood Gardens full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeautiful surroundings, fair pay and good benifits. Middle to lower management and workers of extremely high caliber! The employees (most) are what makes Longwood a great place to visit.

ConsUpper management not qualified and not in touch with the day to day to the point of creating dangerous situations (lack of engineering displines). Way too much effort on show and very little on the nuts and bolts (physical plant) that are falling apart. "If you do not like it-there is the gate" attitude and the acceptance of "bullying" by managers, has seen alot of very qualified, creative and special talented empolyees leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the physical part of the Gardens. Hire managers (departmant heads) that have the background, knowledge, interpersonal skills and the education to perform their duties correctly.

Fantastic place to do an internship

IPM Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

ProsI was there back in the 1990s so take that into consideration. The staff there are highly professional people who truly love what they do- and it shows. They are patient and extremely happy to teach interns who are willing to put in the effort to learn. You also have the opportunity to learn from other interns (including international students) interested in all areas of horticulture, take classes, go on field trips (set up by Longwood and on work days), and do numerous side jobs that become available. This place was truly incredible and I highly recommend it. It was definitely time well spent.

ConsYou aren't going to make any money here but the experience that you get and the opportunities to which an intenship here can lead make it all worthwhile.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that the only thing to say is simply to keep up the good work. My experience here was extremely positive and I recommend this place to possible interns all of the time.

Worked for Longwood Gardens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Longwood Gardens reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Longwood Gardens employees.