Lonza Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
62 reviews filtered by
3.1
Rolf Soiron

Pros
  • Good vacation and benefits package (in 4 reviews)

• If you are project-oriented, this is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes descisions based solely on over-simplified numbers with no regard for the human factors (in 4 reviews)

• Portsmouth site has high turnover (in 3 reviews)

1. Great management and fair business practices. Lots of opportunities to move around.

I worked at Lonza

Pros

All my managers at this company were fair and respectful. They gave me enough guidance but also allowed and trusted me to do my job. Good culture

Cons

Understaffed for my department. Ended up with too much traveling and troubleshooting for certain projects

Invest in your smaller business segments!

2. As long as you don't work for an arrogant, narcissistic person like I did it's okay.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Lonza full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good hours. 5 words.

Cons

If your boss decides that you did not do a good job, that was the end of it. Neither HR nor anybody else wanted to hear your side.

This a fast growing biotech company in Houston, TX. There are ample opportunities to learn and grow as an employee.

Current Employee - QC Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - QC Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lonza full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly group of people, fast growing company, and opportunities to advance in career.

Cons

Scheduling is sometimes unorganized and hours can sometimes be long.

5. Lonza is an okay place to work. Good benefits. A bit disfunctional, but all compnaies have some of that.

Current Employee - Manager in Allendale, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Allendale, NJ

I have been working at Lonza full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people who like to help you. Can work with other departments easily. Stable company despite recent acquisition.

Cons

Lots of change. Wait 6 months or 1 year and there will be change. A new boss every 12-16 months. Swiss management is not visible.

Be present, go around and meet the people who do the daily work. Do not just go to meetings.

6. My company was acquired by Lonza and I have found the company to be well organized.

I have been working at Lonza

Pros

The people are very friendly

Cons

Seems to be too much Swiss culture

7. Director

I have been working at Lonza

Pros

Co-Workers, Free Coffee, Free Espresso, Gym On-Site

Cons

Management, Pay, Not US company

Eliminate the politics

8. Good company to work for.

Former Contractor - Microbiology Lab Tech in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Contractor - Microbiology Lab Tech in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Lonza as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and environment. Internal promotions and shifts.

Cons

High turnover rate. Constant changing.

9. Similar to other contract biopharmaceutical manufacturers with some outstanding positives

Current Employee - Quality Control in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Quality Control in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Lonza full-time

Pros

Excellent health benefits (medical, dental, vision).
    Fully vested in 401K from start date of employment with generous company match.
    Short-term and long-term International opportunities at other Lonza sites, even for non-Ph.D. or non-managerial/supervisory laboratory personnel.
    Strong safety-oriented corporate culture.
    Strong emphasis on 6-sigma lean efficient operations.

Cons

Passive/defensive culture versus aggressive, industry-leading orientation.
    Contract company cost-cutting/savings orientation with matching cost-conscious contract company pay.
    High personnel turn-over due to temp workers finding jobs elsewhere, permanent employees findings opportunities with other departments, or permanent employees finding higher paying jobs outside of the company is a problem.
    Stressed managers/supervisors who are pulled in multiple directions.
    Very lean organization, perhaps a little too lean. There a strong reliance on using temp/contract workers to cut costs which leads to loss of valuable experienced personnel when said workers find permanent positions elsewhere.
    Training can be a "catch-as-you-can" situation, which is a problem in a GMP environment.

10. A good place to start in BioPharma

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Lonza full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since Lonza Biologics is a CMO and there are always new projects, you get exposed to many different techniques and systems. You also get a lot of exposure to the client systems.
    If you are project-oriented, this is a great place to work. If you want something that provides a more steady work environment, this is probably not the place for you.
    Benefits were good, but were getting steadily worse every year.
    I can not say enough wonderful things about my coworkers - they were the reason I stayed as long as I did.
    Many projects have travel, and that does allow for cross-site interaction with colleagues elsewhere in the US, Europe (UK, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland), and Asia (Singapore, China).

Cons

Constant firefighting. Stress. Portsmouth site has high turnover. Expectation of 60+hour weeks in many departments.
    Lots of politics which impact lower levels.
    There is far less upward movement and opportunity now than there used to be. Most of the management is relatively young and will not be moving on anytime soon.
    Pay in Portsmouth is purposely about 20% less than comparable jobs in Boston. Ladies, make sure your salary is the same as what they might offer a male candidate--while I know of nowhere that has complete pay parity between genders, Lonza can be worse than most (a friend and his wife applied for comparable positions; they offered her almost half of what they offered him despite the fact that she had more education and experience)

Need to provide more opportunities for current employees-they shouldn't have to leave the company to get a promotion.

11. Management teams in Switzerland are mainly political players

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Lonza full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and bonus benefits. I said with legacy Arch, may not be true with Lonza.

Cons

Technical strength is least important now under Lonza. Networking skills are more than anything to survive or to get promoted.

Keep technical capable people, get rid of those playing politics, they are cancers to Lonza. But people are not hopeful. The higher management teams only care how to survive year by year up to the contract term. Their job: covering up their mistakes, finding the victims for something wrong until next CEO replacement, then it comes with another reorg. Lonza management thought it would be easy to replace Arch management team with Lonza people or new hiring. Wrong! You want the golden egg, then be careful not to kill or disable the goose. Three years after acquisition of Arch, what is the trend?

Lonza Photos