Lorain County Community College

4.0
CEO

1. Lab Instructor

I worked at Lorain County Community College part-time

Pros

The curriculum for the lab classes is straight forward. Instructors have the freedom to organize and present the information in a way that they feel works best to engage student learning.

Cons

Instructors sign up of classes and the classes are assigned on a first come, first serve basis. This may be considered a con; however, if one were to stay current on when sign up dates begin, this may be beneficial.

Advice to Management

I never had a problem with management. They were wonderful people to work. If I ever had a question they were easy to contact and always answered my questions promptly.

2. I teach Math at LCCC. High levels of study. Liberal relations with the students. Possibilities to "catch" others.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Elyria, OH

I have been working at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good atmosphere between the teachers. Possibilities of working with an individual students if they are initially behind. Anything else is about the same as at any other college.

Cons

One should be really a good teacher to work there.

Advice to Management

Management leadership is really strong. If one wants to continue a research in addition to teaching it is possible. As I wrote anything else is more or less standard.

3. Satisfied

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Elyria, OH

I have been working at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personable experience, compensation is above average, flexible hours with flexible time-off policies, benefits are substantial

Cons

Promotions are rare and slow, company values aren't always exemplified, strong leadership varies for each department

5. Great Higher Ed Experience

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Lorain County Community College as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative school with a lot going on. University Partnership Bonus. Friendly staff with little drama. Enjoyable team orientated environment.

Cons

Miscommunications at times, lack of funding/resources

Advice to Management

Weigh your pros and cons with the eyes of a student.

6. Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at Lorain County Community College

Pros

Faculty is great to work with and always there is you have any questions.

Cons

They cancel classes last minute with little notice.

7. Good place to work

Former Employee - Office Support in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - Office Support in Elyria, OH

I worked at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good leadership
    Good values
    Good benefits for full time workers

Cons

Not much room for career growth

8. Rewarding and enriching

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Lab Assistant in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Lab Assistant in Elyria, OH

I have been working at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

teaching what you love/ desire
    immediate and future rewards

Cons

decreasing budget of material margins to maintain low tuition rates

9. Great leader and innovative school

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The President is a dynamic, transformative leader that has made the school a model for community colleges across the country - A university partnership program that allows students to earn select BA/BA and Master's degrees from universities around Ohio - Continuously adds programs in response to job needs in the area - Strong Nursing and Allied Health programs - The Science and Math department has several Ivy League and top tier educated faculty and adjuncts - MIT Fab Lab - Friendly, professional culture.

Cons

Like many colleges, they grossly underpay adjuncts, and of course, provide no health benefits for adjuncts as well. Culture feels like it is shifting in a negative way. Very few FTTT positions. Due to the. University partnership program, Ph.Ds are usually required, although people with Master's or BA/BS degrees may find they qualify for teaching a lab or one of the certificate programs. Recent increases in enrollment mean very few parking spaces on some days so plan on getting there early.

Advice to Management

Be more engaged with the professional development of all your faculty- not just full-time.

10. Great experience as a student worker!

Former Employee - IS&S Consultant in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - IS&S Consultant in Elyria, OH

I worked at Lorain County Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff you work with is great! As a student worker, hours are very flexible around a class schedule. I kept track of my own hours, and really enjoyed that. I highly recommend seeking employment for students looking to make some cash while in school.

Cons

The hours of work were inconsistent, but I would imagine this was only for my position. My duties were data entry for switching over to MyCampus. Some weeks I had thirty hours of work and other weeks I had two hours. It obviously would have been nice to make more than minimum wage, but the position didn't really demand more than that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Lorain County Community College has got it figured out!

11. Good job to have while a student

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Lorain County Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice people, clean environment. You get a sense of community and helpfulness most of the time. Pay raise after earning a degree.

Cons

Not enough hours. Dealing with the general public (students) can at times be difficult.