Loram
www.loram.com Hamel, MN 500 to 999 Employees

Loram Reviews

Updated Mar 21, 2014
Loram – US – “Switch and Crossing Grinder - MPC2”

Phil Homan

Awesome people, long dirty hours, low pay, great way to see country though.

General Laborer (Current Employee)

ProsTravel, overtime, almost free living.

ConsBeing away from home, long dirty hours, low, low pay for type of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay equals less turnover and more trained and seasoned workers.

Pretty good experience

General Laborer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay for no experience necessary (entry level), fast promotions, lots of hours, you get to see the world. If you get on a prevailing wage job on Metro North or whatever and get paid $80/hr- that's not bad. Pretty rare though.

ConsEverything else- stressful, long days, dirty, everything is always breaking and you maintain it (here's to you Railvacs), and then you go back to your grimy super 8 motel and sleep for 6 hours before starting another day 16 hour day at 4 in the morning. Sometimes the coworkers are s**theads too.

Sometimes you meet bad apple Roadmaster who gets up in your face for how often it seems like your machine is broken or something stupid. Advice is to have him call your boss and then leave it at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't yank people off machines so often.

Loram was a great introduction into the railroad career they have honest care for everyone of their employees

General Labour (Former Employee)
    Hamel, MN

ProsMany opportunities for Advancement, company pays for all travel and living expenses and required certifications.

ConsTraining is provided outside of Canada which is inconvenient to some but understandable since its headquarters is in Minnesota

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good experience

(Former Employee)

ProsIt's a job with decent salary. It will probably make your next job seem much better.

ConsThe atmosphere there is just cold and stiff. I don't even want to think about it. The upper management there and some others think they are so great when they really don't have much going for them...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with lower level employees. Make it a place people want to work.

Expect long days on your feet, and bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Nowhere, OK

ProsTravel, Health Insurance, frequent flyer miles, and they hire year round

ConsInsane hours M-F 12-16 hrs per day, at least 8 on Sat. Some supervisors are worn out due to working up the chain, and they have forgotten the hardships. Management is awful, they expect everyone to be mechanically inclined even though it is a entry-level job. You never know when your going home, sometimes 2 months pass and you get one week with your family. Pittiful pay, starts at $9.00 hr. EXPECT a 70-90 hr work week!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not blame your employees for your mistakes. Pay your employees more, and you will get more from them. A 5 Wk on 2 Wk off rotation would be much better than 6-8 weeks on and 1-2 weeks off. Let employees know which machine they are scheduled to be on next, and let them know where they will be going. They deserve that! Most of all, Treat your employees with respect and do not degrade them! Treat them like the people in your hdqs in Hamel, MN. We a trainee arrives there they are treated differently than they are in the field!

Horrible Experience

ProsITS REALLY A HORRIBLE PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK

ConsLong Hours, LGBT Discriminatory,Only Grey White Folks can survive....very sad place!

your a robot

Shop Worker (Current Employee)
    Hamel, MN

Prospays the bills. lets me come to work every day. I get a half hour lunch. I could participate in a 401k if they paid enough

Conshometime = none. emplyees are an expense and treated as such. they don't want you to have a family and if you do they don't want you to be able to care for them. The only business ethic they have is to make the owner in Canada as much money as possible.

Advice to Senior Managementquit micromanaging our lifes outside of work and give us some time off

Don't make a mistake or you and everyone on the machine will be fired

Machine Operator (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits equal to Class I Railroads - very good benefits
    Learn to become mechanically inclined
    Paid company travel
    Paid hotels when in field
    Monthly safety dinners for no accidents

ConsSome field positions require 80-110 hours per week
    Dangerous job to be sleep deprived
    Management expects perfection even during an 80+ hour week
    They quote a salary of $50,000 a year - this only happens if you work more than 80 hours a week
    Exposure to elements (however you are warned about this)
    Management more interested in production than safety. For example railroad foreman are only allowed to work 8 hour shifts. LORAM circumvents this policy by allowing its employees to only work 8-12 hours per shift on track. This doesn't include maintenance, start-up/shutdown, of travel to and from machine. It becomes easy to create a 16+ hour day very quickly.
    Dirty hazardous work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement stresses safety first, however they only care about production. When this production on low sleep results in a mistake they are quick to blame the employee not their policies.

Good company to work for.

Hamel, MN

ProsFamily-friendly, great company to work for. You get what you give, for the most part. The majority of employees receive recognition for their contributions to the company. I would definitely recommend working for Loram MoW, Inc.

ConsThere are a few middle managers that take free rides on the backs of their hard-working employees, and take credit for work that they contributed nothing to.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the dead weight in middle management and clean out the people that are profiting from the hard work of their dedicated subordinates.

Worked for Loram? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Loram reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Loram CEO Phil Homan. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Loram employees.