Lord Abbett & Co.

Add Photos

Lord Abbett & Co. Senior Partner Robert S Dow

Robert S Dow

Project Lead

ProsGood work life balance , good health insurance

ConsNo work from home policy, Technologies used were a bit outdated

Sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFancy feel, good starting salary. Cafeteria. Seems like a good setup if you already are married with three kids to feed and need a low stress unchallenging gig with a mundane routine. Work loads are light.

ConsStuffy. Employee culture seems unwelcoming and clique-y. Intelligent employees given little motivation or direction on what to shoot for, poor management examples to follow. Unspoken nepotism. Bored employees aren't motivated to take on new opportunities. Outdated technology. Lots of Grumps.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive those who show potential something worth striving for. Half the team I worked with barely had a grasp on what the company did.

Regional Consultant Review

Regional Consultant (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsOne of the best sales forces in the industry. Highly regarded throughout the industry and puts you through a strong training program. Good work life balance.

ConsLower compensation compared to the rest of the industry (for internals). Minimum opportunity to move elsewhere in the firm besides seeking the external wholesaling role

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training in regards to selling. Better call metrics standards.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strange corporate structure and culture

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsWork life balance is good.

ConsCorporate structure is difficult to navigate.

Senior Managers See Employees As Machinery

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood work/life balance, pretty offices, many nice people. Great opportunity for young people in their 20s because they are given a lot of responsibility.

ConsIt's sad how transparently greedy and self-serving upper management is, especially in the investment group. They treat people as if they were just pieces of machinery, easily replaceable. Knowledgeable and experienced investors are devalued and even ostracized, while those who know nothing about investing are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so arrogant and treating your employees as if they're just pieces of a puzzle. A homogeneous group of investors will be pernicious at some point and you need to empower diversity of thought and investment strategies, not just move towards a black-box solution.

Struggling

ProsWork ethic is very high

ConsRevamp of Institutional Marketing a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementHug your employees more than you are.

Just about everyone, including partners are looking for another job. Upper Mgmt is apathetic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsWork/Life balance. Great health care coverage, gym on site and subsidized cafeteria (even though it's mediocre). Most people are good to work with.

ConsThis a partnership of 70+ members but run by a hand full of people that just don't care as long as they reap the financial benefits of their positions. There is no one a leadership position with any kind of plan. No one understands how the Board of Directors allows this. There is no room to grow and if you make partner you are not immune to being fired. On the contrary they'll treat you like they own you. Everyone is grossly underpaid but they can get away with it because of the current job market. Most people want out!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the CEO, she's the worse thing that's happened to that company. You need someone with a vision to inspire us, not just a pretty suit.

Horrible senior management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful offices and great location.

ConsPartners and upper management are horrible. There is no room for growth here unless you are sleeping with someone in upper management. They have no respect for people who actually want to learn and grow. The current and previous CFO have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the talent you have and allow people to learn and grow.

Looks good on your resume, good work-life balance compared to other finance jobs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs this company has been around for a while and is still one of few that has remained private, it looks good on your resume. I was just starting in my career, so I was able to leverage the company to attain licenses and resume experience.

ConsHorrible senior management. There CEO is a Gettysburg grad, and the men directly below her Penn State/Union, etc. For an institution so "established, they may want to raise the bar for their upper management as it is clear many lack the intelligence to maintain a successful business. Look at Goldman's Blankfein- Harvard, Pimco's El-Erian-Oxford, BNY's Hassell-Stern/Duke. Management progressively gets less informed and professional as they get lower on the totem poll. Partners openly talk negatively about one another in front of associates/during meetings. I, as well as my coworkers, constantly felt uncomfortable and uneasy. Luckily all of the young people are aware of this and bond together.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be screened more carefully. I had one partner tell me he felt another new partner was the CEO's personal shopper. Very unprofessional. Some of our competitors have been around for less than 15 years. Lord Abbett has been around for almost 90 years, the company should be way farther advanced than newer companies that are performing much better than Lord Abbett.

Great Opportunity

Data Management Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsExcellent work life balance. Incredibly supportive community of coworkers.

ConsLimited growth opportunities within the firm. An environment that is a great starting point for a career but would not stay with firm longer than 2 years.

Worked for Lord Abbett & Co.? Contribute to the Community!