Lord & Taylor

Updated August 5, 2014

2.9

Lord & Taylor Chairman Richard A. Baker
Richard A. Baker

Pros
  • One of the top reasons for working there has got to be the 25-percent employee discount (in 22 reviews)

• If you are looking for a part-time job while in school (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is the worst that I've seen - I have worked over 70 hours more than on occasion (in 8 reviews)

• often demanded to work long hours and weekends without any notice (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

Pros

Wonderful management, co-workers and atmosphere. Management always willing to help and guide. Very professionally run for a department store. Great employee discount, extra discounts at times great selection of merchanise

Cons

salary while average for the industry a little low for the type of work, working weekends during the summer

Co-Workers Are Amazing, Management need much improvemet

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elizabeth, NJ

Pros

The people you meet are great,all coming from different ethnics, Weekly Pay, Not too bad, Flex scheduling, Good Easy Fast Money.

Cons

Management is lost most of the time and its up to the sales associates and Key Holders to make it work. Corporate doesnt respond to employees at all. Human Resources Does nothing.

Show more Care for your employees.

Very welcoming and friendly environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bridgewater, NJ

Pros

The managers and employees are very welcoming to new employees, they do more than what is expected for their customers

Cons

considering that was only seasonal, I guess they expected less from me. They are laid back sometimes its not always a good thing, its a pretty chill place to work but sometimes you want more of a challenge

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Growth Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Lord & Taylor provided me with an opportunity to grow and learn life lessons about putting others needs before your own, providing nothing but the best customer service, and so much more. I'm grateful for the entire duration I spent here, and will never forget it.

Cons

None; everything was top-notch at the store/company.

Better scheduling opportunities for floaters looking for work.

Sales Associate

Pros

If you are looking for a part-time job while in school

Cons

Low wages and long shifts

Merchant

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Discount, Location,

History

Not much else

Good people

Cons

Behind the time.

Not the leader. It's a follower.

Don't value their merchants.

Value people

One step up from Walmart

Former Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Counter Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Discount, 2weekends off per month

Cons

Unrealistic sales expectations, constant coupons, constant sales, constant pre-sell goals this cosmetic department is run like a discount store. For a flagship retailer you would expect more class and more style. I couldn't believe I was on 5th avenue....only 10 Blocks away from Saks.....this store is for dinosaurs and discount shoppers. If you love Michael Kors, Guess or Coach....this is for you....if you have good taste go work at Saks or Bergdorf. I was paid great....treated with respect by upper management but felt like I was in the ghetto. The people I worked with were either 95 years old or on Alison work release.

Set your standard higher for a flagship! Clean house and hire only top talent!!!!

Company is nice kind to it's employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

friendly and management cares. Lovely staff, nice customers, Room for growth and improvement flexible hours, nice day time hours

Cons

Needs more management and constant flow of hours, low pay to start, not fast-paced right now, low pay again and needs more staff

give higher pay to qualified

Not what I expected it to be.

Pros

You never know what the day holds (different customers to meet, different tasks to complete). You stay busy the entire day.

Cons

Staffing is so light, you spend more time doing tasks (ie., folding, unloading new merchandising) than in assisting the customer.

Listen to the sales associates and managers at the store level. We hear what the customer is saying and it's not cut back staffing! No customer should have to seek out a sales associate to ring up their purchase or have to wait in line for the one sales associate to help them.

Favoritism, short notice of commission change, and the worst place to work for!

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

The only part about being a Lord & Taylor employee that makes it bearable are [some of] the co workers you work with and being able to buy clearance items with an extra 25% employee discount.

Cons

You will NOT get anywhere unless you are a manager's favorite. My manager has given credits to her favorite when others have opened them. They've recently made the entire 2nd floor work on commission with extremely short noticed to all the employees! Many believe it is because of the impending change for the minimum wage to be $10/hr LORD AND TAYLOR-STAMFORD IS CHEAP!

The stamford lord and taylor is getting worse! Managers tell employees to stop soliciting and then sneak away to the stock rooms to sit down for HOURS to talk about who they hate up in higher management. Now with commission affecting the entire floor the area is ALWAYS A MESS! Continually harassing your employees about credit accounts, auto locates, and cleaning when their livelihood is at stake now with commission is insulting!

Some of us have been working here for years and out of the blue with such short notice (2-3 weeks!) you changed our entire floor to work with commission when none of us signed up to work under such terms!

It's sneaky and underhanded! Of course you wait until the big events are over so we can't sell as much AND do it when the summer ends and it'll be difficult to find available jobs elsewhere because all the kids in school are back!

I will be leaving soon and I promise to tell EVERYONE I know about this horrible store and the horrible management that would treat their employees in such a way. This store is a disgrace!!!

Worked for Lord & Taylor? Contribute to the Community!