Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center

Updated May 29, 2014
Updated May 29, 2014

2.6

CEO

Benefits - College Tuition, Health Insurance, Vacation -- Make up for Low Pay

Current Employee - Certified Home Heatlh Aid  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Certified Home Heatlh Aid in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center

Pros

This is a great entry-level job for someone looking to go into healthcare. Loretto offers free college prep classes and tutoring at its Learning Center. After you have worked there awhile (it was 8 months for me, but it might be a year for newer employees, not sure) you are elgible to have tuition paid for college classes and for health insurance. Vacation accrues bases on how much you work. You can earn up to two weeks of vacation per year, if you work full-time.

Cons

Low pay - $10/hour, but this is normal for the industry, unfortunately. Work is hard -- bathing, dressing clients, making beds, keeping kitchen and bathroom clean, emptying trash. Making sure personal care products are in stock, escorting to busses and to and from dining rooms. There are a lot of people to take care of, and you can fun late with one if there are problems, and get backed up. If you have a family, you may find the insurance premiums are too high. If you're income-eligible, apply for medicaid; they often reimburse you for the insurance premium payments taken out of your checks. And if the pay is still too little, apply for food stamps. Or, work extra hours -- overtime at $15/hour is often available.

This company is a joke.

I have been working at Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center full-time

Pros

None, None, None, None, None

Cons

Everything, Everything, Everything, Everything, Everything

As soon as this company took over my place of employment it turned into a NIGHTMARE. They don't care about the residents or retaining the good hardworking employees they have. Loretto's bottom line is NOT compassionate elder care for CNY. Loretto's bottom line is the DOLLAR SIGN.

Typical nursing job...overworked, understaffed & underpaid!

Current Employee - Nurse  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Nurse in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center

Pros

The pay is a little better than other nursing facilites and there are several different branches or affliates to work for should you decide to change your job and/or location.

Cons

UNDERSTAFFED, mandatory overtime, the Union there sucks

Solve understaffing problem, do not mandate OT and increase the pay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

recommend this work place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cortland, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cortland, NY

I worked at Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center

Pros

family and caring atmosphere, fun

Cons

upper mgmt not always approachable

communicate more with your employees

Loretto blindsides and lays off all of REHAB staff

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center

Pros

Great benefits package although I am not sure what that might be for newcomers. Staff is great to work with and almost everyone is nice and easy going. Its like working with your cousins or family. The clients are wonderful and my boss is wonderful too.

Cons

Mass lay offs about ever 10 years, poor building managment and a poor understanding by management as to how to manage. Management does not solve problems and some of them are getting patients to appointments on time which has been an on going issue for over 10 years. Not a serious commitment by management to put therapy/rehab first in our REHAB units is a major flaw. Blindsided lay offs when old time employees' benefits become a finance burden when they put in more managers and take out more middle men. The Rehab center is often understaffed and is currently understaffed in Rehab and nursing.

Listen to your employees who offer solutions instead of reactionary movements. Do not burn out your loyal employees with impossible case loads giving them no recourse than to fail. Daily medical mistakes are made when patients come to therapy with unswallowed pills in their clothing folds or pills are found on the floor untaken by some unknown patient. Make REHAB a priority by making sure that aid staff get their patients ready for the appointment scheduled time. This is nothing new, just not enforced. Meals come at 9 am and then when residents are not hungry at noon, they eat early supper and then complain of being hungry at 9 pm. Breakfast should be served at 8 am at the latest. I have had patients who were not served breakfast till 9:30 or 10 am and that is not acceptable when their Rehab appointment is at 9. Other rehab centers can get patients at 7 am...and we don't because there is no support from management to enforce the therapy schedule.

Worked for Loretto Health & Rehabilitation Center? Contribute to the Community!