Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan

Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas(in 10 reviews)

• Good pay and some of the benefits(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust(in 7 reviews)

• Upper management lost in terms of helping the employee(in 7 reviews)

Unproductive work environment -- unstable funding and poor management led to poor project completion.

Scientist IV (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsPossibility of doing physics research which cannot be done elsewhere.

ConsPoor management at many levels, and chaotic priorities arising from unstable funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementDismal morale could be slightly improved by empowering scientists to do work. Much of management activity is focused on hindering work.

LANL great depending on where you are

ProsPay, Benefits, Workload. If you have a family that takes a great deal of time. This is the place.

ConsUpper management lost in terms of helping the employee. Let us work don't drown us in paper work!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in fear of getting work done.

My time at LANL was a great experience working on DOE projects.

Procurement Specialist III (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsJob was a test of skils based on the fact the LANL made the atomic bomb for world war two, and I subcontracted and purchased materials to update the facility.

ConsThe Cons was getting to keep up with the changes in DOE procedures and in Oracle changes on a regular basis

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have liked to stay longer but my position time frame terminated. I had a two year contract and it was extended for another year and half.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours
    Laidback workplace
    People are friendly
    Good management

ConsNo cons about working here all around excellent company

A Quality Research Opportunity

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) Los Alamos, NM

ProsExtremely intelligent staff, including some of the foremost researchers in their respective fields. Coworkers were friendly and supportive. Pay is very competitive.

ConsLos Alamos is in the middle of nowhere. Expect to drive an hour to Santa Fe for even simple things like dining and shopping. Also, has all the major pitfalls of government funded research, namely: everyone is always concerned about funding, your chances of getting a permanent position depend on whether or not you can locate your own funding, and people are generally overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does well considering the challenges they face. Not easy to get top-level talent to come to Los Alamos.

pretty bad

Staff Scientist (Current Employee) Los Alamos, NM

Prosscience is very good, interesting work

Constoo much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust. The place could never do a Manhatten project again. After private company took over, number of senior managers (associate directors and higher)
    went from 7 to 23

Advice to Senior Managementreduce management by half. Reduce paperwork.

Can be a good place, my experience is horrible

ProsMultidisciplinary environment, good work-life balance and great benefits

ConsPoor career opportunity and career growth

Aging dinosaur

Research Scientist IV (Current Employee)

ProsBasic science and engineering research benefits from an extremely large nuclear weapons budget, the chaff, of which, provides opportunity for the industrious researcher to pursue independent avenues of study. There are a number of large facilities, e.g. Roadrunner, LANSCE, WNR, and DAHRT, which provide the primary unique capabilities that Los Alamos National Laboratory has to offer.

ConsThe mission of Los Alamos is to manage the Nuclear Weapons Stockpile. This is primarily an engineering and manufacturing activity, and this is reflected in the high level management structure. All resources and policies pertaining to risk management, compliance, security, personnel management, etc. derive from the Mission organizations and are pushed out into the supplicant Capability and Support organizations without consideration for their applicability. The Lab also has a bloated, senior level (Associate Director and above) focused, bureaucratic structure, where all authority resides. Mid-level management (Division and Group Leader) are left to mete out compliance and discipline policies, and the occasional 2% raise, thereby resulting a relatively poor morale environment.

Hard conversion from private industry to government R&D.

ProsA lot of people diligently working on tasks passionate to them

ConsThe cold war is over and so is the interest and need of much of this laboratory. It is apparent in the 30+ year-old decrepit buildings and projects the workforce is dealing with. Morale is low, future uncertain.

The mission is compelling

ProsGreat people committed to important work

ConsConstrained government funding makes long-range planning difficult.

Worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!