Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan

Charles McMillan

Pros:
  • "Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good pay and some of the benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Located in a small town, not much to do around here off the clock"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to learn from intelligent mentors; however things take too long to get done.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsAs a young scientist, it's a great community to learn from. There is a considerable amount of job security--even as an intern. And, you can take every other Friday off!

ConsThe structure of the lab makes it difficult to get tasks completed in a timely manner. Living in the city of Los Alamos is extremely dull.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the scientists focus on the science.

I enjoyed my time at LANL as a student intern and I learned a lot of useful skills.

Mechanical Technician Student Support (Former Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsMy mentor was very hands on and he taught me a lot over the course of my time at LANL.

ConsThe work I did had very little to do with the degree I was seeking, but the skills I learned are still very useful.

A so-so place to work

ProsTime and life balance is great.

ConsSoft money is going away - makes it hard to recommend LANL as a place to work. Can be tough to remain at the top of your profession, there is not a lot of support for professional development.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once a paragon of scientific endeavors, now just a jobs program

Middle Management (Current Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsThis laboratory was once a beacon of strong scientific work. Many scientists of repute wanted to work at the laboratory.

Living in Northern New Mexico is a truly great experience. And the Dept. of Energy still assists in keeping the local schools competitive with the best nationally.

ConsThe laboratory is raping the scientific programs to maintain its position as a jobs program for Northern New Mexico. Bloated management and even more bloated support structure that is immune to budget issues. Those are borne by the scientific staff.

Bechtel has turned the place into a site for rotations of their management members. They come for a few years, refuse to live in Los Alamos and after reeking havoc for a couple of years, return to the mother ship.

The schools are falling apart to maintain salaries that are among the highest in the state.

This organization cannot propose a major activity and complete it within schedule and budget. And this mindset has permeated the entire laboratory.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop ripping off your employees for the benefit of the lab contractors. The saddest day in this lab's history was when management decided to become a for-profit organization. Now it is all about the fee and profit, not the excellence of the work being done.

Lifetime employee

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsHigh caliber peer group. Nice environment.

ConsLow caliber management. Incredible bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented/smart colleagues. Lots of opportunities to learn. People work hard and play hard.

ConsIf you have a family, it might be hard for your spouse to find a job there unless he/she has right skills for the lab.

Intellectual freedom and fiscal roller-coaster

ProsLots of smarts with ease of cross-disciplinary collaboration. Academic atmosphere. Highly educated, cultured, safe community. Great location far from hustle and bustle, if you like that.
    Scenic setting with plenty of outdoor opportunities. Great place to bring up family. Good weather.

ConsConstantly chasing funding. Heavy bureaucracy. Far from city amenities like big box stores, shopping malls, airport, etc. Most townspeople, like me, prefer it that way, though. Can be boring for young folks. Very dry air. Otherwise not much to complain in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo top-heavy.

Great place of science!

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsLos Alamos National Lab is a great place to do postdoc. Surrounded with amazing scientist. Openmany doors for future employment in Academics or industry. Also

ConsI was fortune to work for a good group. My exprience was great with no problems. I hope they ease the process of converting postdocs to scientists.

Well-paying employment at a price

Technical Staff Member (Former Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsGood pay and used to be good benefits (I'm not current on that), flexible schedule, opportunity to learn and acquire new skills

ConsMust obtain security clearance for any significant position and especially for career advancement. Security clearance means waiving certain rights and freedoms. Precarious employment for foreigners, and even naturalized US citizens born in sensitive countries. Politically driven funding may require you to switch projects often. Culture changes with politics in Washington.
    Located in a remote, small town (may be a plus, depending on your preferences)

I enjoyed working there despite the bureaucracy.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Los Alamos, NM

ProsVery good compensation--the best I had as an intern by far. Good mentorship. Exciting projects. Working with other students makes for good friends and lots of fun.

ConsLarge institution = delays. It took days to get simple software installed sometimes. It took 3 months to get a broken light fixed. You have to get trained to do everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the tours and talks for students!

Worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Los Alamos National Laboratory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Los Alamos National Laboratory CEO Charles McMillan. All 97 reviews posted anonymously by Los Alamos National Laboratory employees.