Los Alamos National Laboratory

Updated September 11, 2014
3.4

Los Alamos National Laboratory Director & President Charles McMillan
Charles McMillan

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay and some of the benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • too much red tape, bloated management, oversight and mistrust (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management lost in terms of helping the employee (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Los Alamos Review

Former Employee - Quality Assuance  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Quality Assuance in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and some of the benefits.

Cons

Lack of concern for employees. Major accident after major accident and management doesn't seem to care or to learn from the repeated mistakes. Retirement is geared around forcing people to work to age 65. not for time of service. Housing in the local area is hard to find.

Start protecting the whistle blower and people that are willing to stand up and say stop work and not punish them. Which include termination. New upper management comes in stirs the lower management to correct the issue that caused the issues in the first place. The same problem manager just stay in their jobs or find others. sometimes higher in the management chain. Just because you have a degree does not mean you can lead or manage people.

The mission is compelling

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people committed to important work

Cons

Constrained government funding makes long-range planning difficult.

Love/Hate

Former Employee - Research Technologist I  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Research Technologist I in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic location for outdoorsy people, high paying, great benefits, good work-life balance, relatively high potential for career growth depending on which group you work for

Cons

Bureaucracy, dealing with people who have no incentive to work hard (and therefore do not work hard), scientifically isolated depending on which group you work for, easy to become complacent and waste important years in career.

Too many problems to even begin...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cutting edge science and technology

Current Employee - Program Management  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Program Management in Los Alamos, NM

Pros

Amazing research, innovation, and collaboration on the science side of the house. Fantastic work life balance, secure and stable funding in most areas. The pension plan was a great pro, but it is now a closed plan.

Cons

Resistance to change, political based decisions, heavy oversight, attempts to govern by consensus, self-inflicted red tape and externally imposed bureaucracy.

Do not succumb to just maintaining the status quo.

Many years, many places in the Lab

Current Employee - Technical Staff Member (TSM)  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Technical Staff Member (TSM) in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great if you like rural and want to be an important part of a very important mission.

Cons

Red Tape. Procurement is a 12 week ordeal. Engineering processes do not have to be so rigorous in non nuclear facilities, it just increases cost with no benefit. You just have to realize this going in to the workplace. Make sure the spouse likes Los Alamos before you move. Go to realtor.com before you move.

Go back to pre-2006 management practices if this place is to survive.

Great place to learn from intelligent mentors; however things take too long to get done.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As a young scientist, it's a great community to learn from. There is a considerable amount of job security--even as an intern. And, you can take every other Friday off!

Cons

The structure of the lab makes it difficult to get tasks completed in a timely manner. Living in the city of Los Alamos is extremely dull.

Let the scientists focus on the science.

I enjoyed my time at LANL as a student intern and I learned a lot of useful skills.

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician Student Support  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician Student Support in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros

My mentor was very hands on and he taught me a lot over the course of my time at LANL.

Cons

The work I did had very little to do with the degree I was seeking, but the skills I learned are still very useful.

A so-so place to work

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Time and life balance is great.

Cons

Soft money is going away - makes it hard to recommend LANL as a place to work. Can be tough to remain at the top of your profession, there is not a lot of support for professional development.

Once a paragon of scientific endeavors, now just a jobs program

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Alamos, NM

Pros

This laboratory was once a beacon of strong scientific work. Many scientists of repute wanted to work at the laboratory.

Living in Northern New Mexico is a truly great experience. And the Dept. of Energy still assists in keeping the local schools competitive with the best nationally.

Cons

The laboratory is raping the scientific programs to maintain its position as a jobs program for Northern New Mexico. Bloated management and even more bloated support structure that is immune to budget issues. Those are borne by the scientific staff.

Bechtel has turned the place into a site for rotations of their management members. They come for a few years, refuse to live in Los Alamos and after reeking havoc for a couple of years, return to the mother ship.

The schools are falling apart to maintain salaries that are among the highest in the state.

This organization cannot propose a major activity and complete it within schedule and budget. And this mindset has permeated the entire laboratory.

Stop ripping off your employees for the benefit of the lab contractors. The saddest day in this lab's history was when management decided to become a for-profit organization. Now it is all about the fee and profit, not the excellence of the work being done.

Lifetime employee

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

High caliber peer group. Nice environment.

Cons

Low caliber management. Incredible bureaucracy.

Resign

Los Alamos National Laboratory Photos

NSSB - Main Admin Building for the Lab
NSSB, Tech Area 3

+ Add Photo

Worked for Los Alamos National Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!